Cycle analyst with TSDZ2

AndrewJ

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2013
I am trying to find out how one installs a Cycle Analyst (CA) to a TSDZ2; has anyone tried this?
I remember seeing someone on a video online that already had a CA installed on their bike but can't find the video.
I understand one has to run wires from the CA to the controller.
Thanks,
Andrew

D

Deleted member 4366

You need the SA version, which comes with a remote shunt. You solder two connectors to it that match your battery connectors, so you can put the shunt between the controller and battery. The speed sensor is the same as any cycle computer with a magnet on the spoke and the sensor cable-tied to the fork. If you're happy with your controller's functions and mode of operation, you don't need to do anything else other than mount the head unit on the handlebars and tie down the wires. IIRC, you need a switch on the battery to switch off the CA, though you can modify the CA by putting your own switch on the thin red wire if you break into the harness to get to it.

The Speedict Mercury is another device that does it. It uses your phone to display the results. Like the CA, you need a switch on the battery because the Speedict consumes a small amount of power all the time it's connected:

SANY0174.JPG

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Do you want to run the CA as a 'monitoring only' device, or do you want to use the CA's additional control features?

'Monitoring only' is exactly as d8veh describes.

To utilise any additional functionality (CAv3), you will need to connect the CA to your controller's throttle input and brake cutout. If your TSDZ2 is one if the earlier models without a throttle input, you will not be able to achieve this.

AndrewJ

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2013
I've got a new model with 8 pin and throttle. I guess one can attach Anderson connectors to either side of the shunt - one to battery and one to controller. The aim is to adjust the torque PAS and be able to gauge power and consumption to understand existing PAS level power levels (Eco etc) and range through Ah and/or Wh readings. I understand I can do the latter with a low cost watt meter but not the former. My question is if I use the shunt with the CA can I do the former and where do I attach the throttle and speed wires? Can I wire them into the throttle cable and speed cables respectively or intercept them earlier on, just before they enter the VLCD5 screen or do I have to solder the wires on the controller board itself? I don't use the brake lever cutout ability.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can't adjust the PAS level on the torque sensor unless you know how it works. Some torque sensors work at strange voltages, some have 4 wires. Maybe it's possible to connect it to the CA, but there's no throttle cable to send any output through. The TSDZ already has current control for the PAS levels using its own controls anyway!

AndrewJ

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2013
You can't adjust the PAS level on the torque sensor unless you know how it works. Some torque sensors work at strange voltages, some have 4 wires. Maybe it's possible to connect it to the CA, but there's no throttle cable to send any output through. The TSDZ already has current control for the PAS levels using its own controls anyway!
How do you adjust the current control? Via the tongsheng software? Or do you mean the 'power adjustment selection'? I haven't wired up a watt meter yet so haven't tested whether that makes any difference if you change the figure in that menu; I remember reading on ES that it didn't affect it. What do you mean 'there's no throttle cable..." I've got a throttle on mine - are you saying it doesn't have it's own cable?

Last edited:

AndrewJ

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2013
The Speedict Mercury is another device that does it. It uses your phone to display the results. Like the CA, you need a switch on the battery because the Speedict consumes a small amount of power all the time it's connected:
I've got an iPhone and it only says Android supported.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
It sounds like you're trying to replicate functionality already available using the built in LCD/controller combo. Probably best to investigate this before adding a CA.

What you propose is doable, but not without permanent (and possibly extensive, depending on your viewpoint) modification of your TSDZ2 wiring. Essentially, in any kind of 'control' scenario, the CA will replace the standard LCD screen. I suggest taking a look at the CAv3 user manual for an overview of how the CA works and how it fits into the overall system, before heading any further into this rabbit hole.

Last edited:

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
It sounds like you're trying to replicate functionality already available using the built in LCD/controller combo. Probably best to investigate this before adding a CA.

What you propose is doable, but not without permanent (and possibly extensive, depending on your viewpoint) modification of your TSDZ2 wiring. Essentially, in any kind of 'control' scenario, the CA will replace the standard LCD screen. I suggest taking a look at the CAv3 user manual for an overview of how the CA works and how it fits into the overall system, before heading any further into this rabbit hole.

I have now added the cycle analyst(2.3) and i have done it so i can revert to the original setup just by unplugging, it the original display is still retained and functions as normal. I paid £115 total for the CA brand new but if i was doing it again i would go the d8veh method using a watt meter as its a lot cheaper.
The reason i needed to fit the Cycle Analyst was because i needed better info about the state of the battery(i use lipo's) and there is no BMS involved so five black bars just does not cut it. I now have an actual volts display and total mahs left in the battery and as a bonus(which i wouldn't get with a watt meter) i have a battery cut off which i have set to 36 volts(3.6v a cell) so peace of mind Lipo wise. Another bonus of this system is i now have a KPH and a MPH readout at the same time, not really important i know but i quite like it.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I have now added the cycle analyst(2.3) and i have done it so i can revert to the original setup just by unplugging, it the original display is still retained and functions as normal. I paid £115 total for the CA brand new but if i was doing it again i would go the d8veh method using a watt meter as its a lot cheaper.
The reason i needed to fit the Cycle Analyst was because i needed better info about the state of the battery(i use lipo's) and there is no BMS involved so five black bars just does not cut it. I now have an actual volts display and total mahs left in the battery and as a bonus(which i wouldn't get with a watt meter) i have a battery cut off which i have set to 36 volts(3.6v a cell) so peace of mind Lipo wise. Another bonus of this system is i now have a KPH and a MPH readout at the same time, not really important i know but i quite like it.
As already discussed, setting up a CA as a monitoring device is a straightforward affair. Using a CA as a control device is far more involved and requires all inputs (throttle, PAS, brake cutouts, speed sensor, aux input) be routed through the CA itself. In this sort of scenario, the CAv3 is also required over the v2.