Cycling Etiquette

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
Not an electric bike post, but I just wondered what everyone else thought.

When I come to a traffic light I stop and queue up behind any other waiting cyclists, but there are many who will go straight to the front of any waiting queue regardless of whether they are slow or fast cyclists. I have to say I find this annoying, not just because they may be in the way when the lights go green, but also because I thinking queueing is polite.

What do you think? Am I overly sensitive, or are they being ignorant?

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I don't think it is limited to cyclists, if car drivers had the chance, I'm sure they would also try and jostle for pole position!

It is annoying though and unfortunately seems to be the general atttiude of many people on the road these days.

Living in a rural area, I don't often come across situations like this and in fact, it's only really the last mile or so of my journey that I meet other cyclists at all. As an aside, how do you find pulling away in this situtation. Does the Torq out accelerate most other cyclists?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I do both, depending on the cycling facilities provided and road width. My normal practice is to wait in the queue as you do, but when there's a cycle lane with or without a cycle reserved strip across the front, I use the cycle lane to go to the front. I also go to the front when I know there's plenty of road width beyond and I'm not going to obstruct.

It's a good point you raise though Aron, there's too much anti feeling between the different types of road user and I believe in helping all other road users as much as I can. That's one reason why I have a bar end mirror on my bike, so that I can time my riding to avoid pulling out to pass parked cars etc in a way that causes others to unnecessarily slow down. I do the same timing on approaching a blind bend to avoid holding up drivers approaching me from behind.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On the accelerating point, all three of my electric bikes out accelerate all traffic, as I'm always ready to kick off the moment the lights change while the drivers are engaging gear. This holds true even when I've got the large trailer on the Giant Lafree, I'm usually a few yards ahead when they get rolling.

I find it amusing the number of drivers who then furiously accelerate past after being beaten by a bike, especially with trailer, sometimes missing and crashing gears in their desperation! On three occasions a car has slowed right down beside me later, the electric window coming down and the driver asking, "Has that got a motor?", followed by a relieved smile when that's confirmed.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I have the only set of traffic lights on my commute located several hundred yards from the house. Quite often I have to pull away slower than I'm able to in order to stop me being squished between a car behind me who is trying to get past before the queue on the opposite side starts to pull away!

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
I don't out-accelerate the other cyclists until a few seconds after I've twisted my wrist, which leads me to wonder if I'm experiencing an unneccessary pause before the motor kicks in, sometimes the motor doesn't kick in at all until I apply the brakes and twist again. I think I'll have to take a look at the twist grip.

By the way, does your twist grip have a spring in it so when you let go it turns off, as mine stays where it is meaning I can ride no-handed with the motor on, but I'm not sure it was like that when the bike first arrived?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The twistgrip does have a spiral spring and it should snap to off. What's happened in yours is that one of the ends has come out of it's retaining hole, leaving the spiral spring doing nothing. The tiny triangular plate below the grip where the cable enters does NOT give access, so don't remove the screw, it won't get you anywhere. The twistgrip can be pulled apart so that you can relocate the spring, but it's a very fiddley job to get both ends engaged and the grip pushed back together without fouling internally. That said, I've stripped two types of these, so it's possible.

The throttle delay is due to some resistance on the battery contacts, if you unplug and replug the battery the delay will usually change. See the Batteries page on my website for how to deal with that:

http://users.tinyworld.co.uk/flecc/batteries.html#bookmark1

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
Thanks for the info. I unplug and replug every day as I have to to recharge my battery at work. Perhaps a good cleaning could help as it's pretty dirty after the last big downpour.

I think you should start up a repair shop! You do seem to be good as this kind of thing.

The twistgrip does have a spiral spring and it should snap to off. What's happened in yours is that one of the ends has come out of it's retaining hole, leaving the spiral spring doing nothing. The tiny triangular plate below the grip where the cable enters does NOT give access, so don't remove the screw, it won't get you anywhere. The twistgrip can be pulled apart so that you can relocate the spring, but it's a very fiddley job to get both ends engaged and the grip pushed back together without fouling internally. That said, I've stripped two types of these, so it's possible.

The throttle delay is due to some resistance on the battery contacts, if you unplug and replug the battery the delay will usually change. See the Batteries page on my website for how to deal with that:

http://users.tinyworld.co.uk/flecc/batteries.html#bookmark1

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Stripping the Twistgrip Throttle

Sorry, I missed out some stages of the above. The throttle has to removed from the handlebars and it's necessary to get access inside from the outer end. For that the twistgrip rubber has to be removed which is nearly impossible without damaging it, so it's best just to cut out the end cap of the rubber. Then you see inside that the plastic sleeve of the grip is in two parts the inner engaging the outer with four fingers and claw ends. The very difficult bit is to bend in the four claw ends with a thin screwdriver or similar sufficiently to weaken the grip without breaking the plastic fingers. Once successful, a bit of force pulling the outer from the inner will result in sudden parting of the inner and outer twistgrip components. There's nothing to lose, the only loose component being the spiral spring with turned over ends that engage in holes in the two halves.

If you're happy to continue with it as it is but would like it fixed eventually, I can repair it for you at any time you're on holiday etc and don't need the bike for a few days, you'll just have to unplug and remove the throttle to send it to me.

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
Thank once again for the info, and for the offer. If you're happy doing this kind of work, and would like to make some money on the side then I'd be happy to send my bike to you one day for the implementation of some of the ideas you're had on your website. But I'd hate to be a pain, so I'll wait until the New year and see if you still feel the same way.

I'm serious though, you really should start up a service if you like this kind of stuff, there must be more useless people like me who would like some things fixing!

Sorry, I missed out some stages of the above. The throttle has to removed from the handlebars and it's necessary to get access inside from the outer end. For that the twistgrip rubber has to be removed which is nearly impossible without damaging it, so it's best just to cut out the end cap of the rubber. Then you see inside that the plastic sleeve of the grip is in two parts the inner engaging the outer with four fingers and claw ends. The very difficult bit is to bend in the four claw ends with a thin screwdriver or similar sufficiently to weaken the grip without breaking the plastic fingers. Once successful, a bit of force pulling the outer from the inner will result in sudden parting of the inner and outer twistgrip components. There's nothing to lose, the only loose component being the spiral spring with turned over ends that engage in holes in the two halves.

If you're happy to continue with it as it is but would like it fixed eventually, I can repair it for you at any time you're on holiday etc and don't need the bike for a few days, you'll just have to unplug and remove the throttle to send it to me.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Due to my extensive relevant engineering experience, I have been approached with the suggestion to set up doing this kind of thing on eZeebikes, but I declined for several reasons. The primary one, despite being very fit and active, is that I'm almost 71 and have been thoroughly enjoying retirement for fifteen years. The second reason is that the scattered locations of these bikes mean that making any money would be impossible, and the third is that the amount of travel would be very unwelcome.

After the initial trouble with my bike, and being aware of the support difficulties that owners could be facing, I thought the best solution was for me to establish a website as a source of information and thus help in that way with a growing amount of information. Obviously I wouldn't welcome full scale bike work or the travel in association with that, particularly in London in which I car commuted for 31 years which was more than enough for anyone. That said I'm happy to help out F.O.C with items which can be sent like the twistgrip.

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
Well I'd like to say thanks, as you have been very helpful in the past week! I hope more people buy these bikes so the support network can grow. I can fully understand your dislike of travel in London, I lived outside of the UK for the past 15 years, and couldn't believe just how busy it is on returning. When I cycle to work in the morning I am basically alongside a long line of unmoving cars most of the way.

By the way, I can't wait to enjoy my retirement one day!

Due to my extensive relevant engineering experience, I have been approached with the suggestion to set up doing this kind of thing on eZeebikes, but I declined for several reasons. The primary one, despite being very fit and active, is that I'm almost 71 and have been thoroughly enjoying retirement for fifteen years. The second reason is that the scattered locations of these bikes mean that making any money would be impossible, and the third is that the amount of travel would be very unwelcome.

After the initial trouble with my bike, and being aware of the support difficulties that owners could be facing, I thought the best solution was for me to establish a website as a source of information and thus help in that way with a growing amount of information. Obviously I wouldn't welcome full scale bike work or the travel in association with that, particularly in London in which I car commuted for 31 years which was more than enough for anyone. That said I'm happy to help out F.O.C with items which can be sent like the twistgrip.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Retirement

It's the best part of life Aron. It's mad isn't it, we often spend our earliest years looking forward to being old enough for school. Once there we can't wait to get out to work, and once out to work we can't wait for retirement.

But nobody wants to go on to the next stage!!!!!

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
Oh I don't know I have those days where the next stage seems quite welcoming!

It's the best part of life Aron. It's mad isn't it, we often spend our earliest years looking forward to being old enough for school. Once there we can't wait to get out to work, and once out to work we can't wait for retirement.

But nobody wants to go on to the next stage!!!!!

Ken

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2006
If the throttle is shoved in too deep into the handlebar, this will also affect the return spring. Try loosening the throttle and reposition it slightly out and see if that helps.

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
Thanks, I'll give it a try and report back here if it helps.

If the throttle is shoved in too deep into the handlebar, this will also affect the return spring. Try loosening the throttle and reposition it slightly out and see if that helps.

Tony Youens

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 26, 2006
Ripley, Derbyshire
When I come to a traffic light I stop and queue up behind any other waiting cyclists, but there are many who will go straight to the front of any waiting queue regardless of whether they are slow or fast cyclists. I have to say I find this annoying, not just because they may be in the way when the lights go green, but also because I thinking queueing is polite.

What do you think? Am I overly sensitive, or are they being ignorant?
I confess I too find this irritating and if 'green taxes' make commuting by bike more popular the problem of cycling etiquette might get worse.

I don't see that many cyclists on my route to work and the term 'cyclist' doesn't always fit. Some appear not to use the road at all (I think of them pavement dwellers or wheeled pedestrians).

Tony

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Something that amazes me with the dark evenings is how few cyclists have effective lights. This last week I have passed one chap three times, each time with no lights or reflective gear whatsoever and each occasion I didn't see him until he was almost upon me. This in a section of my commute with several blind corners and no streetlighting. Lunacy!

What's even more amazing is I pointed out to him that I couldn't see him at all and he should get some lights pronto and all I got back was verbal abuse :(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I also experience the "no lights" and "always on the pavement" types, but round here where there's loads of dual use pavements, the latter isn't surprising really, especially as it isn't always signed where the one ends or the other begins. It's made even worse on one route where pedestrians ignore the pavement at the edge of the road and walk on the cycle track some way in beyond a grass area. Cycle up behind them and all too often one gets a stare and no effort to move as if you're in the wrong, and on one occasion I had someone yell out "get off the pathway", apparently unable to see the cycleway signs. I just passed on the grass and meaningfully pointed to the real pavement and then one of the cycleway signs. To his credit I saw him cross to the pavement in my mirror.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Acceleration away from the lights

There will always be the inconsiderate bullying other road user for every type of vehicle - it can even apply to equestrians (you know the sort of 'county' persons I mean).
I can see how easy it is (for a Torq I know) to out-accelerate any normal road petrol engine driven vehicle. That's not so surprising. In my youth (1946) I had the latest in racing cycle that I could afford. I was challenged to a sprint by a 350 cc side valve motorcycle over 100 yards. He overtook me after 90 yards. That's about (if my approximate maths is correct about 0 to 40 mph in 10 seconds. 350cc bikes in those days had a top speed of about 50/60mph. Some modern cars still take about 10 secs to get from 0 to 60.
Itspeteinit