Decent Lights

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've got a story associated with lights that I find really funny. An obviously technically unaware local 13 year old was asking about my Torq and asked what the dynamo was. To explain, I engaged it with the tyre wall and lifted the front of the bike, opening the throttle to run the wheel up to speed, showing the headlight on.

Missing the point completely, he thought from the demonstration that the dynamo was the motor that drove the bike and remarked how powerful it was!

Hope he doesn't join the trade when he leaves school. :(

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I've got a story associated with lights that I find really funny. An obviously technically unaware local 13 year old was asking about my Torq and asked what the dynamo was. To explain, I engaged it with the tyre wall and lifted the front of the bike, opening the throttle to run the wheel up to speed, showing the headlight on.

Missing the point completely, he thought from the demonstration that the dynamo was the motor that drove the bike and remarked how powerful it was!

Hope he doesn't join the trade when he leaves school. :(
Let's hope he is not related to the chap when I was at school many years ago who decided to decoke an exhaust while it was still attached to the bike in a shed. I guess you can figure out the rest of the story! It rhymes with 'room' !

Jaytee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 27, 2006
I use my Torq on an unlit cycle track, (disused railway). The LED supplied was useless and I choice a Light & Motion 'Solo Logic' Halogen light. The lens can be focused to give a spotlight type beam or diffused to give a broader, wider but less 'headlamp' type beam. It cost about £150 and has NiMH battery pack with about a 2 hr beam time at full power. There are three power settings with proportionally greater beam time. The Cycle-Dealer showed me other systems but I believe more light is better than less, as this is the only light available on my commute.

Jaytee

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Can anyone advise whether or not HIDs are too bright for road commuting use as in does it blind the on-coming drivers any more than car headlights do?

What do people think?

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
The HID lights are generally designed for off-road use. In fact in Germany, where the Lupine is produced, it is illegal to use the Edison on the road.

I find if you angle the light carefully it generally doesn't bother other road users. If someone does flash me, I just angle it forward a little until they have passed.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Busch and Muller Big Bang

I dont know if anyone has actually seen these, (I havent) but they do look very impressive, and being made by B & M usually means they are quality. I really like the idea of being able to chose the beam mode.

John

link to them here and choose Big Bang

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Smart Twin Halogens

I have a twin 6w + 6w halogen + SLA battery set, £30 from wiggle last year although not currently listed. Cheap and cheerful but bright and functional, it lit the way through a local unlit rural park many times over the winter.

stevebee

Mar 9, 2007
Lupine have just upgraded the Wilma 4/6 etc.. It now pumps out 850 lumens on full for 4/6 hours - thats doble it's previous output. Now only 50 short of the Edison 5 - plus all the benefits of LED , more control 1 - 12 options plus more upgradeable. Cost is just under £400 (I bet this will drop before next Autumn / Winter)

The aftermarket kit if you have the existing 450 lumens version is only £90 but in this 'arms race' it does seem thae best option.

Prefer the bluey cast of LED too

Healthebike

May 2, 2007
North Louisiana USA
Decent lights at the low end

I am sure you have seen DIY lights projects that usually involve some skills to do you self. . I found that for $11USD at popular home warehouse outlet I could get premade halogen 20 watt MR16 spot in an attractive aluminum fixture with protective flat glass at the front and adjustable mount suitable for mounting to my front reflector shock mount. Here it is on my 24volt bike. I run it through a 12V 10AMP Voltage reducer circuit on my rear rack

http://www.walcottcb.com/images/VR1A.jpg

so I can drive this and 12 Volt LED taillights as well as an onboard 12Volt mini air compressor.

At $11USD that is cheaper than I can buy the bulb alone. it draws
20watts/12V=1.8 amps/hr which is fine for night riding with a 12AH battery.

www.healthebike.com/lafree/bikelight.JPG

Perhaps you guys are all talking about very nice lighting HID kits costing hundreds but here is a cheap cheap alternative that is quality lighting for urban night driving.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Neat job at a budget price John.

I don't ride at night normally, but have often wondered about using some of the lighter weight car fog or spotlights as a headlight on an e-bike when rides are short and consumption not a problem. Trucks use 24 volt systems so there may be some compatible or adaptable bulbs for this purpose, like the 21 watt flasher bulbs that are the legal type in Europe.

Certainly some of the prices being charged for bike lights now, especially LED, constitutes the biggest rip-off ever in the field of cycling accessories. We have some headlights now which are dearer than a number of new e-bikes from reputable manufacturers.

Healthebike

May 2, 2007
North Louisiana USA
More on Decent lights low end

I objected on principle to have a battery on board and then adding replaceable batteries on things like lights and horns and radios. But yes, the prices are outrageous in many cases!

The advantage of seeking an automotive solution is, as you say, the much lower prices for a commodity item sold in great quantity rather than a bicycling only item at a much higher price. 24V is common voltage in USA for Tractor and truck parts and I did see many such driving lamps that were compact and attractive for reasonable price.

I was just a little shy of the 55 watts and greater they used. But that is more adequate lighting than I am getting as well. I opted to mount a 24 volt to 12 Volt converter capable of 10 amps draw on the back rack of my old style lafree bicycle. http://www.healthebike.com/lafree/bike5.jpg

That lets me run low amp devices like lights or even a high amp device like an air compressor. And 12 volt devices in USA are plentiful like charging adapters for cellphone etc.

Healthebike

May 2, 2007
North Louisiana USA
More on Decent lights low end

I objected on principle to have a battery on board and then adding replaceable batteries on things like lights and horns and radios. But yes, the prices are outrageous in many cases!

The advantage of seeking an automotive solution is, as you say, the much lower prices for a commodity item sold in great quantity rather than a bicycling only item at a much higher price. 24V is common voltage in USA for Tractor and truck parts and I did see many such driving lamps that were compact and attractive for reasonable price.

I was just a little shy of the 55 watts and greater they used. But that is more adequate lighting than I am getting as well. I opted to mount a 24 volt to 12 Volt converter capable of 10 amps draw on the back rack of my old style lafree bicycle. http://www.healthebike.com/lafree/bike5.jpg

That lets me run low amp devices like lights or even a high amp device like an air compressor. And 12 volt devices in USA are plentiful like charging adapters for cellphone etc.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I must admit to agreeing to everything you have said John and Flecc.

Unfortunately, as someone who doesnt know what they are buying, or how to put these parts together, I am left being one of the 'ripped off'.

I have to have good lights, my life could literally depend on them, but I have neither the workshop, experience or know-how (yet). For those type of prices I can have a go though :)

(Is this a project that could be done, can you explain how to do it, what the parts needed are, how to connect them, tools needed)

John

Last edited:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Lupine have just upgraded the Wilma 4/6 etc.. It now pumps out 850 lumens on full for 4/6 hours - thats doble it's previous output. Now only 50 short of the Edison 5 - plus all the benefits of LED , more control 1 - 12 options plus more upgradeable. Cost is just under £400 (I bet this will drop before next Autumn / Winter)

The aftermarket kit if you have the existing 450 lumens version is only £90 but in this 'arms race' it does seem thae best option.

Prefer the bluey cast of LED too
Wow, the Wilma has really come on in leaps and bounds. I have an Edison 10 which I picked up for a song on eBay a couple of years back. I've never seen anything else touch it...so far (not a finished commercial product anyway).

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
..... (Is this a project that could be done, can you explain how to do it, what the parts needed are, how to connect them, tools needed)

John
John,

I have seen a few people on the net who have got some cheaper MR16 lights and overvoltaged them with pretty amazing results. Only problem is burn time. I'll try and dig out the links for you.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Looks like it John. The consumption of LEDs is fairly low, less than bulbs, and shouldn't be much of a problem from your bike size battery. You don't need the transformer of course, just the light only, but you would have to get the connection polarity right. Perhaps Russ knows if that's marked on those lights.

P.S. What is the journey time that the light would be on for?

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Thanks Flecc. I expect my journey times to be roughly an hour each way with a recharge at each end (as that is what I am currently doing)

So with the 24V bulb I wouldnt need the transformer then, very intesting.

I also saw this 12V LED MR16 which is much more effecient which may be of use should I go the 12V way and maybe of use to John (HealtheBike).

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Heres where I show my my lack of knowledge.

1) If I connect a 24V bulb to a 24V 5Ah battery, the fact that the bulb may draw 0.5A, does that mean that the bulb will theoretically run for 10 hours?

2) What are these for, why arent we able to use them?

3) If these prices are so cheap, why are the lights we buy so poor value for money?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No lack of knowledge there John.

1) Yes, 10 hours, but can be a touch less due to various inefficiencies.

2) Those can be used, but obtaining and matching a reflector to make a useful and accurate light would be a problem.

3) Partly due to costs relating to a small market compared to cars, partly to cover development etc, but huge margins added as well.