Votes: 43 46.2%
  • Restricted

Votes: 50 53.8%

• Total voters

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
My thoughts are more directed towards the software options that can be adjusted from the display or laptop
Surely for type approval they shouldn’t be adjustable to the likes of us only through dealers of the pre made bikes

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I have used one of the Bluetooth displays fitted it then removed it the next day its not for me
all the software was supposed to be dealer only it escaped on to the internet

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I have used one of the Bluetooth displays fitted it then removed it the next day its not for me
all the software was supposed to be dealer only it escaped on to the internet
I suppose there’s a lot of people waiting for some Bosch , Yamaha etc hacks to enter the internet:)

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
All the big co put a tag on each of the dealers software so if it leaks they know who and when
we have used the watermark trick in several cases

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am commuting now, my 250 W bike can match most cars from 0 till 25 km/h cut off at the lights, why would I need more?

To tell the truth that would be 250 W + my 160 W. Even at legal speeds car drivers can't relate to an old guy on a push bike going that fast. Don't get me started on vans...

The problem isn't the speed limit it is others around you as we saw with that silly woman running a bike over. It cost her her life, cars will probably cost me mine eventually...

• Agree
Reactions: Danidl and flecc

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I am commuting now, my 250 W bike can match most cars from 0 till 25 km/h cut off at the lights, why would I need more?

To tell the truth that would be 250 W + my 160 W. Even at legal speeds car drivers can't relate to an old guy on a push bike going that fast. Don't get me started on vans...

The problem isn't the speed limit it is others around you as we saw with that silly woman running a bike over. It cost her her life, cars will probably cost me mine eventually...
I am smiling at your traffic light comment.. I too find I can beat most cars away from the lights, but I suspect thats because they just do not expect the sudden aceleration, and in my case from an old man on a bike, which is very near to the heart of this thread.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
As a shift worker I either travel cross country to avoid cars or am on my 10 mile road ride at times when there are less cars about. I mostly get overtaken with reasonable care.

However there are still some bad overtakes.

The last one I had was the worst for quite some time. I was close to the top of a blind crest when a four by four squeezed past way too close. 50 metres further on and he would have been able to see to overtake safely.

I instinctively shouted "too close"

Down the other side of the hill he had pulled over.

I am reluctant to get into the kind of slanging confrontations you see on youtube so carried on.

He overtook me again and and pulled over again wanting to have his say.

I pulled up next to his drivers door with his window down and his first question was to ask if I drove a car.

My reply was to say that he had overtaken me way too close on the blind crest of that hill which showed me he probably had not ridden a bike for some time. I also said that I owned cars and motorcycles with a licence for both but enjoyed riding my bike.

He then said that I was riding too far out into the road, two feet he said.

I told him that the condition of that road meant that riding two foot out from the side was necessary to be safe and that he needed to treat me like any other vehicle and overtake me leaving a two/three foot gap to be safe.

I said that he may not be aware of it but if he checked online he would find the recommended gap to leave when overtaking a bike.

By now he had lost much more time than he had gained. He was never going to admit being in the wrong and blamed me for riding too far out from the side of the road and impeding his progress.

You never know he might check the advise on line

I do not use a camera to record my journeys, maybe I should.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nefarious

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
As a shift worker I either travel cross country to avoid cars or am on my 10 mile road ride at times when there are less cars about. I mostly get overtaken with reasonable care.

However there are still some bad overtakes.

The last one I had was the worst for quite some time. I was close to the top of a blind crest when a four by four squeezed past way too close. 50 metres further on and he would have been able to see to overtake safely.

I instinctively shouted "too close"

Down the other side of the hill he had pulled over.

I am reluctant to get into the kind of slanging confrontations you see on youtube so carried on.

He overtook me again and and pulled over again wanting to have his say.

I pulled up next to his drivers door with his window down and his first question was to ask if I drove a car.

My reply was to say that he had overtaken me way too close on the blind crest of that hill which showed me he probably had not ridden a bike for some time. I also said that I owned cars and motorcycles with a licence for both but enjoyed riding my bike.

He then said that I was riding too far out into the road, two feet he said.

I told him that the condition of that rode meant that riding two foot out from the side was necessary to be safe and that he needed to treat me like any other vehicle and overtake me leaving a two/three foot gap to be safe.

I said that he may not be aware of it but if he checked online he would find the recommended gap to leave when overtaking a bike.

By now he had lost much more time than he had gained. He was never going to admit being in the wrong and blamed me for riding too far out from the side of the road and impeding his progress.

You never know he might check the advise on line

I do not use a camera to record my journeys, maybe I should.
Yes maybe you should, In a non threatening situation like that I would say, just hang on a mo whilst I turn by bars a bit to be sure the camera picks up your voice!! Just saying, not sure I would actually do it tho

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
When my Bosch has been updated they just put a flash drive thingy in a laptop and plugged it into my bike. How come they havnt escaped into the wider world?
More luck I would say

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
More luck I would say
Probably, although I think I have read on these forums recently that bosch have a separate identifier on their flash drives for all their dealers and so if one of these escaped into the wild. Bosch would know which dealer it initially came from. I don't know how accurate this is but it might explain why it does not seem to have happened so far.

• Informative

coolreptile

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 24, 2018
Self built with all wheel drive so illegal if I went on the roads but at the same time I can change it to pedal assist with my bike computers although my 5 Mile journey to work doesn't touch a road so 47.3 mph.. So Possibly unrestricted at 3.40 am travelling to work lol

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dealers dont have the option to change the programming and only do updates.

the diagnostic hardware/software is locked to each dealer so if you started trying to hack it bosch would know straight away as it logs in to the bosch server.

its also pointless buying one as with no account it wont work.

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Self built with all wheel drive so illegal if I went on the roads but at the same time I can change it to pedal assist with my bike computers although my 5 Mile journey to work doesn't touch a road so 47.3 mph.. So Possibly unrestricted at 3.40 am travelling to work lol
Illegal in many ways whether off road or not.
If pubic have any right of way what so ever then off road is not private.
Two wheel drive is not allowed, only one motor 250w is allowed.
Voltage 60v isn't allowed, 48v this isn't interpreted clearly some take it as being 48v max charge others take it as 48v nominal.

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
People in motor vehicle's are supposed to keep to road speed limitations and the top speed is 70mph. The veacles are equipped to go much faster than the restrictions in almost every case. They are trusted to comply but in almost every case at some point break it. If someone in a motor vehicle can have this trust to not abuse there power why can't someone on an pedlec have the same if they have a driver's licence? If riders can keep up with traffic it's much safer. And if they brake the law they can take away that riders licence. They just would have to make it so its against the law if your not insured and don't have a drivers licence. They would have to display a number plate that can be traced to the owner to inforce it but that wouldn't be hard to set up

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
People in motor vehicle's are supposed to keep to road speed limitations and the top speed is 70mph. The veacles are equipped to go much faster than the restrictions in almost every case. They are trusted to comply but in almost every case at some point break it. If someone in a motor vehicle can have this trust to not abuse there power why can't someone on an pedlec have the same if they have a driver's licence? If riders can keep up with traffic it's much safer. And if they brake the law they can take away that riders licence. They just would have to make it so its against the law if your not insured and don't have a drivers licence. They would have to display a number plate that can be traced to the owner to inforce it but that wouldn't be hard to set up
Simply because your riding a push bike not a motor bike
You have the enjoyment of going everywhere a push bike can go
If you want the limit lifted buy and register an S pedelec and use roads only no cycle paths or anything also you need a moped helmet then registration etc that goes with it as it ceases to be a bicycle in the eyes of the law