DFT consultation on increase of 250W limit to 500W

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
id have to mount the controller outside of the motor and build a custom pack to fit in the frame case.

i just got other things to do atm like buy our house and get it bricked up fkn scaffolding prices wtf :eek:
Like me and my rocket ship project to prove the Earth is concave, you'll never get around to it. Bet you a pint of Whisky. Yes I'm a Concave Earther.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
2 bed flat going on market might get 60-90k after probate need the retards to fit me new shite hole wait 1 year 1 day and fire off right to buy with 55% discount.

3 quotes to brick it up 55-75k all in so far with prc cert.

1 year from now will have 25k plus in bank saved so extend the kitchen and bigger studio room down stairs.

i win b4 i have even started and i cant drink that shite makes me puke lol.

and im on jsa fkn pull this one off will be epic pmsl :p and i did get one of my front tyres replaced as was cracking up n not seen that done b4, i dont give up ;)

and i still want those 72 pin 64mb ram for my s5000

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
i dont give up ;)
I bet you a pint of vodka then, and while you're violently expelling smelly liquids and solids from every orifice hopped up on speed, LSD, magic mushrooms, peyote and weed, I'll brainwash you from a safe distance shouting through a megaphone, searing details of my Concave Earth Theory deep into your brain, because there's not enough of us to bring sanity to the world at present. Actually, it's just me. It's a brilliant theory which explains everything perfectly, especially when you're hopped up on speed, LSD, magic mushrooms, peyote and weed.

and i still want those 72 pin 64mb ram for my s5000
From my cold dead hands! My Maxi 64 still uses those to make mad reverb effects nothing else can. But I'll have a dig around the boxes in the attic, see if I have any more. Doubt it though - might have thrown old RAM away along with four wheelie bins full of all sorts of rare computer gear in 2002, which people all of a sudden appear to want again and can't find in working condition. I've never been happy throwing anything away, haven't since.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
To have the option of keeping up with slow moving traffic mid-lane, also to make cycling around roundabouts safer, I'd rather like a higher legal speed. 22mph would be ideal from my point of view, my bike can do that - before I knew it was illegal, I was zooming around all over the place at about 22mph, on my BBS01B 20" wheeled Dahon folding bike conversion, pedalling lazily and deliriously happy. I wouldn't mind a higher speed limit than 22mph TBH. With 52T>11T, I have 94.55 gear inches = equivalent wheel diameter.

Circumference = 2 X π X radius = 297.02 inches per wheel revolution, x 90 per minute = 26732.097 inches per minute. There are 63360 inches per mile, therefore 63360/26732.097 = 0.4219 miles per minute. X 60 minutes = 25.3mph max. Now that I've increased controller amps from 15A to 18a, I might manage 90rpm - if memory serves, there wasn't enough power for me to pedal that fast with 15A. If not, and because @Nealh has calculated my LG MH1 celled battery pack is capable of producing 25A continuous, I could uprate my battery BMS for a 30A, and set the controller's amp limit to it's maximum of 20A, using 2A extra for my lights = 22A, leaving 3A headroom. With a 60T chainwheel, max speed at 90rpm would be 29.18mph (if 20A is enough), which could get my amusing looking small 20" wheeled Dahon folding BBS01B bike conversion into the S Pedelec category. I'd need a 103T chainwheel at 90rpm for 50.14mph, but I certainly wouldn't do that with a folding bike.

I'm not suggesting higher pedelec speeds should be used on cycle paths, just roads. Even if speed limit was increased... because cyclists are invisible to drivers, I'd probably still cycle on the left. I shall write A Letter.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the front sprocket on my bike is 52t near enough every new bike you can get means there is no way to fit a chain ring this size to 99% of the bikes like mine.

tho i did try 55t and made the bike un rideable

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:p

Reactions: guerney

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

make one of those for heavy loads ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

make one of those for heavy loads ;)
I know someone with a Hayabusa converted Smart car. Goes like a stabbed rat. Didn't do the conversion, he saw an advert and bought it. Looks like an ordinary Smart car - one of their newer models in silver, wedge shaped. I don't know how much he paid, but will ask when I see him next. He's speed obsessed, so I might be able to talk him into an electric conversion of some other small car.

Bond bug:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
tho i did try 55t and made the bike un rideable
Your wheels are too big. :cool:

Is the diameter of your wheels with tyre 26"? If so, your max speed at 100rpm 52T>11T = 122.91 gear inches = 36.56mph. The same with 55T would be 38.67mph. At 100rpm, I'd need 68T>11T to hit 36.78mph. At 100rpm, you'd need 72T>11T for 50.63mph.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I know someone with a Hayabusa converted Smart car. Goes like a stabbed rat. Didn't do the conversion, he saw an advert and bought it. Looks like an ordinary Smart car - one of their newer models in silver, wedge shaped. I don't know how much he paid, but will ask when I see him next. He's speed obsessed, so I might be able to talk him into an electric conversion of some other small car.

Bond bug:

It's a Bond, not a smart car!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's a Bond, not a smart car!
I clearly said it was a Bond bug! I was talking about my friend's Hayabusa Smart car in a different paragraph. He hasn't given me a lift to the station with it yet, not enough room. I was unsure about accepting the offer TBH, glad someone else wanted the one spare seat. He probably would have crashed us, showing off. Youth is wasted on the young...

throwawaychap

Pedelecer
Dec 19, 2023
This looks promising - 500w is what it's allowed in Canada.

I hope it doesn't come with a help of regulations, like compulsory registration, insurance, etc.

I also concur I wouldn't like to see speedy fat tyre e-bikes on pavements shared with pedestrians and dogs.

If it were up to me, I'd raise the speed limit to 20 or 22mph on roads (so we could keep up with traffic), but maintain the 15.5mph limit on paths & sidewalks shared with pedestrians; but quite how one would enforce that I don't know.

Reactions: portals

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016

Bond bug:

Those single front wheel Bond Bug trikes are very dangerous since if you try to take a bend too fast, they will turn over and leave you with massive head injuries as your head gets scraped off. I remember a pal of mine had one around 1975 and he got rid of it after it twice turned over at low speeds, and that one had its original low powered engine.

I used to have a cx500 powered trike in the form of an old morgan style car (JZR car kit) and that was stable because it had two front wheels.

It was still a bit hairy since with 50hp and next to no weight, it would fly up to 90 miles an hour in no time and the high revving Honda twin just wanted to be at 8000 revs and more or less demanded you to take it there.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
If it were up to me, I'd raise the speed limit to 20 or 22mph on roads (so we could keep up with traffic),
Luckily it is not up for debate... yet.

If you want to ride your bike at 22mph you can always register it as speed pedelec.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Those single front wheel Bond Bug trikes are very dangerous since if you try to take a bend too fast, they will turn over and leave you with massive head injuries as your head gets scraped off.
Many a time did we have to help our mate right his Reliant Robin in the car park and other places, and he wasn't even going fast, or so he said. At least that had an enclosed cabin. They could be driven with a provisional license at the time, which seems a bit mad now.

Last edited:

Ferdinand

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
NG17
Cycling on pavements is against the UK highway code, bikes belong on cycle paths or roads. If that's what you're worried about then ask your local police to enforce that harder.
My town is full of shared pavements, often as narrow as 1.1m.

That and painted cycle lanes were the "as cheap as possible as poor quality as we can get away with" option for Councils and Developers for 3 or 4 decades.

An environment with that quality of infra is not suitable for articulated half ton mini-cargo vans, which are being promoted (eg the ePack by City Shuttle) as "able to use cycle infrastructure". *

I hope that in the end the Govt are not stupid enough to re-categorise 500W rated mopeds as pedal cycles; such power ratings need a separate category with appropriate type approval and safety regs etc, and no right to be on cycle infrastructure.

It needs a huge amount more thought; but a Transport Minister who embraced conspiracy theories about Low Traffic Neighbourhoods is hardly likely to give any thought to anything.

*eg:

Reactions: flecc and Az.