Difference between the Wisper SE and Torque

cornelius

Just Joined
Nov 4, 2016
Nottingham
Has anyone had the pleasure of riding both the Wisper SE and the Torque (905 especially)? I understand that the Torque has higher spec components. I was wondering how different they are to ride given the high torque motor and cadence sensor on the Torque - is the difference that noticeable?

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Has anyone had the pleasure of riding both the Wisper SE and the Torque (905 especially)? I understand that the Torque has higher spec components. I was wondering how different they are to ride given the high torque motor and cadence sensor on the Torque - is the difference that noticeable?
The torque has a much different feel than the SE. The torque model has a lot of different operational features from the SE and offers both a cadence, throttle and torque drive experience. The torque model is pricier but has better spec. Like any opinion of bikes here, a test ride of the bike or bikes in question is the true answer to your question. You will be pleased with both but they are different machines and at different prices. Hope this helps,

Cheers:)

P.S. I prefer the torque model

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Cornelius, thanks for your interest!

Here are the main differences between Wisper SE and Wisper Torque bikes...

705/905se 705/905 Torque

Cadence/Speed Sensor Torque and Cadence/Speed Sensor
Cable Disc Brakes Hydraulic Disc Brakes
Generic Lighting Spaninga High Power Lighting
Wisper Comfort Saddle Selle Royal eBike Saddle
LCD Display Large LCD centre display and large control buttons great when wearing gloves

High Torque Motor Ultra Hi Torque Motor
Quiet Running Silent Running
7 Speed Freewheel Gears 8 Speed Cassette Gears
Wisper Light Weight Blade forks Suntour NEX SR Suspension Forks

All the best, David

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
I have a 705 Torque rather than a 905 but the only difference there is the frame shape.

I test rode both the SE and the Torque from the same shop one after the other so I was riding over exactly the same terrain and could compare easily. I really liked the "connected" feel of the ride from the Torque. To me, yes I'd say the difference really is that noticeable.

You'll really only be able to tell which you prefer by testing them out, though. We're all different and what suits one person is not necessarily going to suit the next. David may be able to advise on who's got stock in the Midlands and you could arrange a wee test.

D

Deleted member 4366

The bikes are completely different even though they look similar. The torque is smooth, silent and powerful. If they were the same price, nobody would buy the SE. That's not saying that the SE is a bad bike, As long as you're not too heavy, it's perfectly adequate.

ryancarlwatson1

Just Joined
Mar 20, 2017
GB
I have the wisper 905SE. I have owned it for a week now and covere 100 miles and I have to say it is generally very good. A few negative things though:
1)The ride is a bit hard. You will feel those bumps/kerbs.
2)The battery/pannier rack is held by 2 screws that rattle loose and need constant re-tightening.
3)Pannier bags tend not to fit as the gap between the rack and the battery cannot accomodate the clips.

The good things are:
1) Range advertised seems to be realistic.
2)The tyres are good enough to handle dirt roads (providing they are smooth)
3) The hub motor doesn't appear to apply additional torque to the chain and so I am able to stay in 5th gear always and use throttle to get up hills combined with 5th gear effort.

If you have any questions about this bike feel free to ask. My main gripe is the pannier/battery rack screws rattling loose. I would be put off buying this bike for that reason though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Reactions: LeighPing

ryancarlwatson1

Just Joined
Mar 20, 2017
GB
I have the wisper 905SE. I have owned it for a week now and covered 100 miles and I have to say it is generally very good. A few negative things though:
2)The battery/pannier rack is held by 2 screws that rattle loose and need constant re-tightening.
3)Pannier bags tend not to fit as the gap between the rack and the battery cannot accomodate the clips.

The good things are:
3) The hub motor doesn't appear to apply additional torque to the chain and so I am able to stay in 5th gear always and use throttle to get up hills combined with 5th gear effort.

If you have any questions about this bike feel free to ask. My main gripe is the pannier/battery rack screws rattling loose. I would not be put off buying this bike for that reason though.

lohr500

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 12, 2017
Keighley
Might be worth buying a tube of threadlock and putting a few drops on the battery rack screws to stop them shaking loose. Somewhere like Halfords, or even a radio controlled model shop should stock it. I use the Tamiya R/C model threadlock on all sorts of jobs and it works really well.

Reactions: Gaz and Emo Rider

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I have the wisper 905SE. I have owned it for a week now and covered 100 miles and I have to say it is generally very good. A few negative things though:

The good things are:

If you have any questions about this bike feel free to ask. My main gripe is the pannier/battery rack screws rattling loose. I would not be put off buying this bike for that reason though.

Hi Ryan, thanks for your review.

Sorry to read that you have an issue with the bolts vibrating loose. If you give us a call on Monday we will sort that out for you.

Regarding the rack, again if you call on Monday with your frame number we will send you a rack adaptor with our compliments.

It may be worth noting that Wisper's coming in this month will have new bars to fit any pannier.

Also check your tyre pressures, the 1.95 tyres will happily run at 45psi giving a smoother ride. Bike shops often over inflate.

All the best, David