Help! Do I need torque washers with torque arms?

wonderer99

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Hi all.

I have slid my rear hub into my forks without washers to see what the situation is and the wheel spins nicely with the disc brake ok.

My instructions say to fit two torque washers inside the forks. However when I put only one in the bikes forks need to be praised apart slightly to get it in and the wheel rubs when spun.

So I have a couple of questions.

1. Judging by the photos attached does the spindle sit far enough into the drop outs or do they need filing? Does the torque washer look ok in its position? Do I need torque washers on both sides as that would mean widening the forks more than I am comfortable with.

2. Do I even need to use the torque washers as I have two torque arms I will be attaching.

Many thanks.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The axle is nowhere near sitting deep enough, we discussed this in a previous thread you posted an I marked your pic with some markings to provide some help.
The flats of the hub axle need to be full seated as does the right angle tab of the washer.
Not all frames are suitable, taking out to much will cause weakness.

wonderer99

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
The axle is nowhere near sitting deep enough, we discussed this in a previous thread you posted an I marked your pic with some markings to provide some help.
The flats of the hub axle need to be full seated as does the right angle tab of the washer.
Not all frames are suitable, taking out to much will cause weakness.
Hey. Yes I appreciate the advice. It's confusing because I have read in numerous places, including the hub instructions that the spindle does not need to sit 100% into the drop outs as long as torque arms are used. So I'm wondering how much is enough.

In the photo of the geared side there is another couple of mm depth available, it's just how the spindle was sat when I took the photo.

So basically this bike just seems to be the worst possible bike to convert. I am so deflated as I have spent so much time before and after buying the hub researching.

So! Honestly would you say that it's not worth risking filing, what, 4-5 mm deeper? Seems like too much.