Do the cops care about illegal eBikes?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

BillyBoy88

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2016
Paphos Cyprus
The police ignore a very large range of offences, they mainly concern themselves with a narrow range of matters that the government deems suitable to pursue.

This police attitude has become indoctrinated now.

For example, in my London Borough the council is proposing widespread 20 mph limiting on all but main through roads, consulting the public district by district on this.

But the Metropolitan police have said they will not police it. Note they have not said they cannot for manpower shortage or other reasons, they say they will not even attempt to as a matter of policy.

The council's own traffic and parking control department won't, they gave up on most parking control long ago, even when asked to act with photos and examples they don't. For example, see the photo below I took minutes ago. Parked wholly across the pavement, on double yellow lines and blocking an entrance, it's been there for at least a day. If I emailed that to parking control complete with number plate and location they won't do anything.

So what's the use of laws and regulations? None at all.

Perhaps we should follow the example of the town of Cheran in Mexico. The population have taken it over, kicked out the corrupt and lazy officials and criminals, driven out the mayor and now run things themselves.

There's a radio program about that on the i-player that you can listen to, here's the link.

View attachment 17217
This is normal parking here in Cyprus, parking with all four wheels on the pavement, even the Police do it.

• Informative
  • :D
Reactions: flecc and Fordulike

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The other day we were passed by a young lady (of about 15) on a 50cc scooter in a 50 km/h restricted area. When we left the zone we caught up and followed her, up a hill at above 70 km/h.

The police hardly ever stop scooters breaking the 45 km/h limit she was 25 km/h over, that is a 135€ fine and -2 points in a car or on a motorbike. Scooters are stopped for unattached or missing helmets, noisy exhausts, missing lights, rear view mirrors and other equipment. Texting while driving a scooter is a new way of attracting the attention of the law...

So any kind of e-bike, legal or not will almost always slip under the radar here in France. You would have to do something silly like ride on a dual carriageway, without your security vest after sunset or with no lights on the open road to attract any attention.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and Fordulike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
o_O Me think's you have quoted SW Instead of Tring above Flecc regarding e-bikeshop.
No, that quote was me posting the quote that Tring posted, and that included the ebikeshop mention. I wasn't claiming who it came from, it was just a complete copy and paste from the quote in Tring's post.

If you look at Tring's original you'll see that I just copied and pasted what he quoted to make my point.

FoxZulu

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 9, 2016
London
Judging by the appalling standard of driving/riding on the roads around West London by all road users seemingly going unnoticed by Plod, I seriously doubt they have any interest in e-bikes of any description.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Judging by the appalling standard of driving/riding on the roads around West London by all road users seemingly going unnoticed by Plod, I seriously doubt they have any interest in e-bikes of any description.
The association of chief police officers voted London drivers to be the most skilful in the country! They haven't had anything to say about cyclists yet.

You're right that the police aren't interested in e-bikes, in truth they don't doing anything much about any traffic matters these days. The combination of reduced funding and the large range of new duties they've had to bear in recent years has resulted in their traffic departments suffering the most cutbacks.

BillyBoy88

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2016
Paphos Cyprus
Most skillful at what? Texting at the wheel? Driving in the wrong lane? Not indicating? etc, etc..
This is normal over here, but you forgot smoking at the same time, as being on the phone, plus the kids not strapped in, it is all against the law but it is a "Village People" attitude where everyone knows someone or is a cousin.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Most skillful at what? Texting at the wheel? Driving in the wrong lane? Not indicating? etc, etc..
In all seriousness they have to be skilful to survive London's traffic, and I think it's about competence with handling their vehicles.

I think those chief police officers are right. London drivers have a far higher degree of competence than that I so often observe away from London.

As for mobile phone use at the wheel, I see far more of that well away from London than I ever do here in town. On the motorways it seems a very popular way to pass the time.

• Agree
Reactions: FoxZulu