Do you leave it locked outside at all?

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
I want to go swimming in the morning before work, but this would involve leaving my bike locked outside the baths which is a bit scary (especially as it's in Central London).

Does anyone do this kind of thing? How nervous are people of leaving their bike somewhere, i.e. outside the supermarket? How about insurance, do you have theft coverage of any kind?

Thanks,

Aron.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I have to admit, I wouldn't leave my electric bike anywhere - even with the battery removed.

I think as they are 'different' they might draw attention to themselves by either an opportunist thief or some hooligan who decides to 'play around with the wires'.

There is a company listed on the main site that offers electric bike insurance but i'm not sure what their terms are with regard to leaving the bike somewhere. I did speak to them about whether a bike would be covered when stored overnight in a shed and they told me that the bike had to be anchored to an immovable object (bit difficult in a shed!)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I happily leave any of my three electric bikes locked outside various places in the London Borough of Croydon, Warlingham, West Wickham and others. I usually use the bike shelters and stands provided, and the motor cycle type lock supplied with the eZee bikes. When there's no stand I use whatever is available, lamp post etc. When I first bought my Giant Lafree over three years ago I was quite nervous about leaving it, not just because of theft but possible vandalism. I made a cover for the flimsy handlebar on/off switch in case some vandal snapped it off, but after I while I stopped using it when it dawned that nobody was ever trying to harm the bike. Quite the opposite in fact, a number of teenagers have tried out my bikes while I've been out after showing interest in them, culminating in comments like, "wicked" and "this bike is really cool".

Some of the places I park outside are quiet with no-one around to witness theft/damage, but as said, I've never suffered. All of my parking is short term and it doesn't follow a regular pattern, and I think it's mostly day long and regular parkers following a pattern who are most at risk.

imellor

Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2006
I took insurance and have the recommended lock, so I don't worry too much about leaving locked up out in the open. Otherwise I would never use it and that would defeat the point.

By the way, we're neighbours, I live in The London Borough of Sutton.

I happily leave any of my three electric bikes locked outside various places in the London Borough of Croydon, Warlingham, West Wickham and others. I usually use the bike shelters and stands provided, and the motor cycle type lock supplied with the eZee bikes. When there's no stand I use whatever is available, lamp post etc. When I first bought my Giant Lafree over three years ago I was quite nervous about leaving it, not just because of theft but possible vandalism. I made a cover for the flimsy handlebar on/off switch in case some vandal snapped it off, but after I while I stopped using it when it dawned that nobody was ever trying to harm the bike. Quite the opposite in fact, a number of teenagers have tried out my bikes while I've been out after showing interest in them, culminating in comments like, "wicked" and "this bike is really cool".

Some of the places I park outside are quiet with no-one around to witness theft/damage, but as said, I've never suffered. All of my parking is short term and it doesn't follow a regular pattern, and I think it's mostly day long and regular parkers following a pattern who are most at risk.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You're probably my nearest Torq owner then Ian. There must be a few Giant electrics around since BikePlus of Brighton Road, South Croydon sold around one or two a year for about the last four years, but as posted elsewhere, I've never seen one. They're probably mainly operating in the flattish valley area along the Brighton Road corridor into Croydon central. I mainly operate in the downs area bounded by East Croydon, Sanderstead, Purley, Warlingham, Woldingham, Titsey, Biggin Hill, West Wickham, Addington, hence I'm nearly always going up or down a hill! Cycle King, the Croydon discounters, have the Powerbike range in stock always, so I assume they must sell some, but again those seem to have vanished. I can't help feeling that, like most of the two million ordinary bikes sold every year, some electric bikes bought get used a few times and then get thrown into the back of a garage and forgotten.

oobs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2006
Yep, agreed. I happily leave my Torq locked up anywhere. I use it instead of a car so it has to go where I want to go. Sometimes that is a dodgy estate or a dark alley. The chunky lock supplied by 50cycles seems pretty good to me. I always remove the Cateye though!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We never suspected it for a moment oobs. Electric bike owners are by nature honest upright citizens, aren't we? ;) In any case, they're lousy getaway vehicles! :mad:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
My bike spends 1/3 of it's life locked up outdoors in central London. They will cut through the railings before the lock and my lock can't be cropped so I'm quite confident. It gets 'tested' regularly when people move along the line of bikes trying to move each one but I've got used to it. I've had the Air horn pinched and then the fixing for it the next day but that was no great loss, taught me never to leave anything valuable attached and unlocked.
I worry a little about the front wheel but from what I've read if it hasn't got quick release then it's unlikely to go walkies.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I took insurance and have the recommended lock, so I don't worry too much about leaving locked up out in the open. Otherwise I would never use it and that would defeat the point.

By the way, we're neighbours, I live in The London Borough of Sutton.
And me! I live in Norbury... I have mine insured through household policy an extra £20 -30 can't rememberer exactly..... I have a good solid lock and cable and an alarm so if bike moved at all the alarm sounds. is as loud as a car one and will grab your attention if nearby.

pointless being precious about a bike, it defeats the point of having one......don't get me wrong I am nervous leaving it anywhere, but you have to get on with things:rolleyes:

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
I want to go swimming in the morning before work, but this would involve leaving my bike locked outside the baths which is a bit scary (especially as it's in Central London).

Does anyone do this kind of thing? How nervous are people of leaving their bike somewhere, i.e. outside the supermarket? How about insurance, do you have theft coverage of any kind?

Thanks,

Aron.
All the time and at any time day or night, willy nilly, on my cheap e-bike - and I'm lovin' it!

When I managed to obtain my e-bike quite cheaply secondhand earlier this year, it took all the fear away of having it stolen - until then I didn't dare park up and leave ANY of my 'quality' high-end bikes out of my sight even though I have plenty of D-locks, cable-locks and the like, some with a built in alarm , (had a mountain bike stolen some years ago from under my nose; was sat reading in a cafe next to the window with my bike leaning against said window - still got nicked). Thus I mostly confined my rides to day trips with no utility rides for day-to-day requirements like supermarkets and banks etc., Which is why I bought a Dahon folder, unfortunately once again I chose a top of the range model, so if I'm not allowed to carry it in to certain premises I avoid taking it.

My current 'cheapish' e-bike has changed all that. Even though I am slowly upgrading it to custom fit me, its component parts are nowhere near the same league as those on my other 'high-end' bikes. (And their lack of sophisticated slick operation shows). If the e-bike gets stolen it won't matter a hoot - but it would be a different matter if I owned a one and a half thousand pound Kalkhoff! I bought my bike, complete with unused battery for the price of a Kalkhoff battery alone! However I now have a new outlook on cycling and parking-up, so even with a brand new Kalkhoff, I think I would eventually succumb and leave it parked up, as and when required.

You have to take that chance otherwise the numpties control your life - use as many locks as you feel comfortable with, and try to leave the bike within your eye-line so you can check upon it from time to time. Even if it's well out of sight I say you still have to take that chance, as the convenience of a bike is so very much a life-enhancing experience. Don't let the numpties drive you to the ultimate that a lot of infirm pensioners endure today - total fear to leave the house at all!

Use common sense, but definitely embrace the risk.

P.S. I ALWAYS take the battery with me though.

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
I've got an expensive Heinzmann bike, and it's not insured. (My household insurers wouldn't take it on, I'm too lazy to shop around for different insurers, and when I've looked at bike-specific insurance, it seems too expensive, for limited cover.)

At this time of year, I bus more than cycle. But in summer I usually bike to work, and my bike spends the day in one of many bike racks around this large hospital, where I can see it from my office window.

I use a good-quality dee-lock round the front wheel, frame and bike stand. This "fills" the lock pretty well, so it would be difficult to get a tool (bottle jack or whatever) inside it to force it. Then I use a cable lock through back wheel, frame and bike stand. So they'd need two different tools to get it free. The battery is in a standard rear pannier, not the special fitted Heinzmann one, so it's a bit disguised, and there's another cable lock securing the battery to the bike.

I occasionally park it elsewhere for shopping etc, still double-locked. There are some parts of town with a "bad" reputation, where I probably wouldn't take it. But early morning strikes me as safer than evening. Do yobs get up early? At home, it lives in the flat with me. I aim to make my bike a bit harder to steal than the next bike in the row. If that ever lets me down and I lose it, well, that's life.

Mary

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
Norwhich union do good household based bike cover. ~ approx £30 and covers anywhere in Uk anytime as long as its locked, no approved locks, no stupid exceptions).

Regardless i've left expensive bikes all over the place for very long periods and never had one stolen. In my cycling lifetime ~25 years i've had the following nicked:
-One wheel (bstds:mad: )
-One cheapie light (forgot to remove it)
-One cheap (really uncomfortable) saddle of a horrible hack bike

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
...There are some parts of town with a "bad" reputation, where I probably wouldn't take it. But early morning strikes me as safer than evening. Do yobs get up early?...
Good one Mary.
Definitive answer: They most certainly do not!

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
2 + 1 = 3

Did I miss something?. THREE electric bikes!

1: The "T" bike
2: The "Q" bike
3: Would you by any chance be the deservedly proud owner of a shiny "K" bike Mr. Flecc?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm actually down to only two e-bikes now, Q and T, having sold the lafree to another forum member, also a multiple e-bike owner, who has since sold it on.

However, I've compensated by buying two new cars this year, one for town use and one for the open road (should one of those ever appear again).

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
I'm actually down to only two e-bikes now, Q and T, having sold the lafree to another forum member, also a multiple e-bike owner, who has since sold it on.

However, I've compensated by buying two new cars this year, one for town use and one for the open road (should one of those ever appear again).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
i have 24 hours in each day Flecc...8 i tend to sleep....8 is used for work...and 8 seems to dissapear inbetween sometimes without doing much....
now although im guessing you have retired from paid work..i know you will do a fair bit on here,imagine you get a fair few technical questions which take time up,you have your waste collection rounds to do,battery testing to do, obviously other bike things to do which we dont know about,....how do you then manage to squeeze in "town car use" and "open road use" car ????????
have you invented some time machine along with all your mechanical operations which give you all this time ?...lol...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I do a whole lot more than being in here, riding e-bikes and driving cars Keith. I guess most would think me well organised as I waste little time between doing things, and I tend to integrate activities to maximise the use of time.