Does a fit person need an ebike?

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
Having read many threads on this forum, I've come to the conclusion that most people who ride ebikes do so because.

1/ They are not physically capable of reaching their desired destination by pedal power alone, which could be down to unfitness/age/injury/distance/hills.

2/ They wish to arrive at work 'sweat free'.

3/ They need to get to where they're going quicker than by using a conventional bike.

I agree with the 1st 2 points and if anyone considering purchasing an ebike falls into these brackets, then they are a great idea.
Point 3 though....are they quicker? Not much if your commute is hill free and you're reasonably fit. I rode the Aurora on Monday and Tuesday, but today I went on my Dawes normal town bike. The ebike got me to work in 40 mins (only 4 mins, or about 10% faster than normal bike) although admittedly I was less 'sticky' than usual.
Now, I am (thankfully) rather fit. I don't need the assistance. Other than an occasionally dodgy knee, I am fully capable of the 20 mile round trip using just pedal power.

But there's another reason for having an ebike.

4/ The fun factor.

This isn't really mentioned on here a great deal. On Saturday, I fitted my trailer on the back and did a FULL weeks shop and rode home with no effort whatsoever! This week I've out accelerated cars from the lights, shot round roundabouts faster than I do on the motorbike, filtered through gridlock on throttle only, and overtaken 2 mountain bikers uphill like they were standing still. It's such a good feeling to ride quickly on any road, but to still take off down bus lanes/cycle paths and pavements (safely!) I don't need an ebike, but I'm still glad I've got one!:)

Last edited:

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I dont think these reasons fit for me. I'm fairly fit, and do one way of the 18 mile commute in about 35 minutes (So almost 17mph average) on my hybrid.

However i find myself jumping on my Kawasaki ZX12R or on the tram (i dont own a car!) by the fourth or fifth day of the week because i seem to run out of energy, so the eBike really comes into its own here, lowering my overall effort to keep me going all week. Well thats the plan, its my first week of it, on a borrowed Cyclamatic. Seems to be working though, i'm still feeling strong for tomorrow.

Couple of weeks and i'll have an Aurora too :D

EDIT: having said all that, the Cyclamatic is borrowed from my dad, who is struggling with hills at 65, and feels his cycling years would soon be ending without the extra assistance, so he is very much a No. 1.

EDIT 2: I have to agree about number 4. It is huge fun, all cycling is fun, but there are few things more entertaining than flying past human powered cyclists up hills. Also, yesterday i loaded up both my panniers with a week's shopping after work, rode to the bike shop and picked up a wheel from my other bike, bungee's that across the top of the panniers, then rode the 9 miles home not noticing any extra weight, and yes, still passing all the other cyclists (One roadie lycra lout type had the beating of me on the flat, but wore himself out trying to stay with me uphill and soon disappeared from my wing mirror).

Last edited:

clv101

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2010
Bristol
I'm fit enough for cycling not to be a physical problem - my interest is in the technology, the social/transport/environmental issues and the fun factors. Frankly I'm ashamed of the UK's transport policy and I'm interested in anything that can help lift cycling out of the niche activity it is today.

I'm looking to build a DIY machine that will give me assistance from say 15 to 30 mph. i.e. I'll specify it to max out at around 30mph and simply won't touch the throttle until I'm comfortably over 10mph. I'm still researching the best motor/battery for this.

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
Ah yes, the fun factor. The extra 250watts is like having a fit athlete pedalling your bike as well as you. First time I tried an electric bike, it was the A2B Hybrid, which really knows how to put the power down! :D

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I like those postings from BLACKPANTHER & Streethawk. Good points albeit not exactly original but it does no harm to hear those views expressed again.

Regards,
Indalo

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Well i suppose being new to this, i'm relating feelings about it long time eBikers are already familiar with, so excuse my lack of originality.:D

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Streethawk, there is really no need to apologise; particularly to me as I seem to have gained a reputation for being something of an outspoken nobhead on this forum, probably because I don't observe the requisite degree of subservience/respect to the experts who form the cabal of senior members whose opinions on all matters are unchallengeable.

Believe me, you have more to offer the readers of this forum than the forum can offer you! In time, you will come to understand.

Regards,
Indalo

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I seem to have gained a reputation for being something of an outspoken nobhead on this forum, probably because I don't observe the requisite degree of subservience/respect to the experts who form the cabal of senior members whose opinions on all matters are unchallengeable.
It's a wonder you can ride any bike with the weight of that chip on your shoulder.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I'm reasonably fit (but could do better) though I've never been a strong bike rider as I have always been able to expend a large amount of energy quickly but stamina eludes me (just ask my wife - ba dum - tish).

I kept comming back to cycling after a year or two in the car, but I always found commuting by bike to be a real slog, I can cycle up a hill, but at the top I'm done and the prospect of another hill a mile down the road is not pleasant. Add in the extremes of weather, strong head winds and rain or swealteringly hot days and it is just too much to face. On a normal bike I manged 3 days a week at best and then only for a few weeks a year.

Enter electric bikes and I now look forward to cycling. I know I can put in about as much effort as I would on a normal bike and cruse along at a faster pace and get up hills without being completely knackered at the top. Tackle head winds without too much trouble though 10mph feels slow now! All of which offsets the rain. I quite like it when it rains except when it gets in my shoes. And in the height of summer I can arrive at work cool as a cucumber and enjoy a leisurely ride home in a cool breeze that is almost always guarenteed at 15mph.

I now commute every day, come rain, wind, snow or shine with the only exceptions being when I have to visit the dentist (I don't like leaving the bike locked up in the town centre car park for long) or when the bike is out of action.

And perhaps we do understate the fun aspect of it all - its always fun over taking serious mountain bikers going up hills! Pulling away from lights faster than cars (up to about 10mph that is) and whizzing round roundabouts always feels safer than crawling round under my own steam.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Streethawk, there is really no need to apologise; particularly to me as I seem to have gained a reputation for being something of an outspoken nobhead on this forum, probably because I don't observe the requisite degree of subservience/respect to the experts who form the cabal of senior members whose opinions on all matters are unchallengeable.

Believe me, you have more to offer the readers of this forum than the forum can offer you! In time, you will come to understand.

Regards,
Indalo
Where do you get this odd idea from Indalo? I for one have often remarked that all questions and opinions are valid and should be expressed, and with regard to this thread, I'm in agreement with both BLACKPANTHER and Streethaws views. I've also regularly reminded all that I am just another member, the honorary title having no rank whatsoever and I have no admin powers.

I'm baffled at how you think senior members opinions are unchallengeable when you offer no precise views yourself, just criticism. And after all, with just another 64 posts you will be a senior member yourself, presumably in your view making yourself infallible, something to look forward to! :rolleyes:

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
I can cycle up a hill, but at the top I'm done and the prospect of another hill a mile down the road is not pleasant.
I find that no hill on my commute is un-manageble. I never have to drop below 3rd gear on the middle chain ring. My problem is that I need to arrive at work on time. If I set off at 6.30 I should get to work at 7.18, give or take 2 minutes. If I'm riding into a head wind though, I look at the clock, realise I'm not hitting my timer markers (I know the 15/30 min locations) then I tend to ride harder to make it up, which means the hills wear me out more....and I have to ride even harder. I still get to work, sometimes a bit late, but always sweaty and cream-crackered. Now, if it's windy I go on the Aurora. Hey presto, no effort!

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
I've never had a bicycle long enough to get used to, so I used to struggle even on slight hills. Binge drinking and smoking didn't help either! :)

Bikealot

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2010
e bikes and fitness

I am still awaiting my first e-bike - Kalkhoff B27 due end of March. My core reasons for wanting the bike are a mixture of interest in the technology and sustainable transport, having an alternative to the car and an increasingly dodgy bus service, and finally to arrive at a shower free work place in a condition that does not offend colleagues! I agree it should also be a lot of fun :)

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
Having read many threads on this forum, I've come to the conclusion that most people who ride ebikes do so because.

1/ They are not physically capable
2/ They wish to arrive at work 'sweat free'.
3/ They need to get to where they're going quicker
4/ The fun factor.

I don't need an ebike, but I'm still glad I've got one!:)
Making the presumption that I am reasonably fit (never been completely sure how you measure that) I`ll throw in my two-penneth;

Ref 1 above, - does not apply to me thankfully

Ref 2 above, - its not worked out like that, I still always need a shower after my commute in, although I admit some of that may be down to not getting my layering properly sorted - I tend to leave early when its cold, but generate a fair bit of heat by 5 miles in - if I stoped and removed layers could probably reduce heat building up, but I dont usually manage to be so sensible!

Ref 3 above - its a good part of it - average speeds are an interesting thing - I can keep my average around 11 mph on an unpowered bike - the hills are the killers speed wise. With my ebike I can and do average around 18mph - often pedalling above assist speed, but getting most benifit from acceleration and on hills.

Ref 4 above - absobloominlutely its fun, makes me smile for all sorts of reasons, and we all need fun in our lives!

Enter electric bikes and I now look forward to cycling. I know I can put in about as much effort as I would on a normal bike and cruse along at a faster pace and get up hills without being completely knackered at the top. Tackle head winds without too much trouble though 10mph feels slow now! All of which offsets the rain. I quite like it when it rains except when it gets in my shoes. And in the height of summer I can arrive at work cool as a cucumber and enjoy a leisurely ride home in a cool breeze that is almost always guarenteed at 15mph.
With the exception of being as cool as a cucumber - completely agree with z0mb13e, the help when cycling into a headwind is invaluable, I dont care how fit you are! I am also bizzarely happy out in the rain!

All the best

Bob_about

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Sweat free and increased average speed for me.

I like to get back home at lunch to sort out the cats but I only get a half hour lunch break. It's easily do-able on electric but non-electric is pushing it.

Also, if I'm unwell, I need the electric assistance. I've ridden home with flu before and I could barely move the pedals. The throttle was a life-saver.

I also find that some days I just don't feel like pedalling much, so full throttle it is. However some days I cycle with the motor switched off completely. If I didn't have the electric option I'd definitely have got a car years ago.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
E Bike Enthusiasts

From reading lots of posts on here , most people seem to have always been two wheeled enthusiasts . Quite a few seem to have or own Motorcycles and Scooters , it must be in the blood . At 72 I still ride my conventional Folder and three powered machines , but after getting an Ebike tend to take that first for shorter trips .Perhaps an interest in Technology is a common thread too !
Happy riding everyone .

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Number 1/ for me.

Plus Number 1/a
Now after 30 months ebiking increased fitness means that years have been taken off me, I feel like a mere youth of 70.

Also Number 4/
Got to chose the place now, mostly downhill and the time, when the oiks have positioned their cars as a Domino board.
Trouble comes when "friends" tell Tall Tails to the Master of the Home, they exaggerate, honest my dear.

Dave

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
I quite like it when it rains except when it gets in my shoes.
I just keep 2 empty bread bags in my panniers. They take up no space and if it rains, pop them over your socks before your shoes. Meteolojinx Recanto! :eek: No more soggy feet.

Pob

Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2010
Derbyshire
2 empty bread bags in my panniers. They take up no space and if it rains, pop them over your socks
That's a motorbike rider :D

I remember riding through a bad winter in about 1984/5 with Black bin liners over my feet/boots etc to stop me getting so wet on my Suzuki GP100 on the way to my girlfriends :)

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
From reading lots of posts on here , most people seem to have always been two wheeled enthusiasts . Quite a few seem to have or own Motorcycles and Scooters , it must be in the blood . At 72 I still ride my conventional Folder and three powered machines , but after getting an Ebike tend to take that first for shorter trips .Perhaps an interest in Technology is a common thread too !
Happy riding everyone .
Was just thinking the same myself, there does seem to be a lot of ex-motorcyclists and some current ones. Guess it never leaves you, don't know if i should be scared about that here me thinking i would grow out of them :D