Does a fit person need an ebike?

Pob

Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Yes currently riding a CB900 with a few modifications on the look out for a Supermoto - KTM 690 SM? :D

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
From reading lots of posts on here , most people seem to have always been two wheeled enthusiasts .
On 2 wheels I have the Alien Aurora and Dawes Tanami. 4 wheels the Zafira (or cycle+trailer!) Then there's 10 wheels'd be the lorry. Oh and 3 wheels for the Moffatt on the back of the lorry. On 1 wheel, I can also just about ride a unicycle (Brother's got a couple of them).

One thing I'd really like to blag a go on is a recumbent bike.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Current bike BMW 1200 GS Adventure and if i persuade the wife one of these for the summer

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Was just thinking the same myself, there does seem to be a lot of ex-motorcyclists and some current ones. Guess it never leaves you, don't know if i should be scared about that here me thinking i would grow out of them :D
Grow out of them? Nah, never :)
My m/bike collection seems to have stopped in the late 70s/early 80s, with a brace of Suzuki GS850s and a Yam XS650, but not including the CanAm Bombardier which I wish I'd never sold. The old story, when I had the bikes (all the others) I'd not enough space and now I've got the space I only have the three. I'm quite happy toddling around on the old Japs though - no real electronics to worry about and they just keep going, year after year.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
A Ural now theres a strange choice of bike, not many about now.
Still made today in the Ural mountains and can be bought brand new, the picture above is a 2010 model. Unbelievable the factory is still running and all bikes are hand built as they were during the war.

deadmonkey

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2010
GL12
1 - Yes, 10 miles each way and I don't possess that drive that keeps other people going when the going gets tough, that's when I pack up ;)

2 - Yes, following tips from these forums I've got gear to cover pretty much every part of my body, so rain or snow I've arrived not too shabby.

3 - Yes, faster and I think safer too, especially as I'm sharing A roads with cars and lorries doing 50+

4 - TBH I couldn't say I've reached that stage often, but I nearly rode under a hovering kestrel last week and that was pretty sweet :)

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Arent 2wd Urals illegal here? Thats the version i always fancied, must be unstoppable off road.

I've got a Kawasaki ZX12R currently, and no car. I just like two wheels.

I think i'll change the ZX12R within the next 12 months, i never thought i'd say it, but the power doesnt interest me anymore. I'm thinking a Beemer 1200GS might be my next buy... well, after an eBike.;)

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Arent 2wd Urals illegal here? Thats the version i always fancied, must be unstoppable off road.
To the best of my knowledge, the only version made in 2WD is the right-hand chair, which is illegal here for registrations after <whatever it was> date.

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
i never thought i'd say it, but the power doesnt interest me anymore. I'm thinking a Beemer 1200GS might be my next buy... well, after an eBike.;)
Same here. I went from

To this

The CBF1000 may have 'only' 2/3rds the power of the Blackbird, but it's just as quick up to 100mph. Of course I'd never see 100mph anyway, what with the speed limit being 70mph!

Last edited:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009

I've got a Kawasaki ZX12R currently, and no car. I just like two wheels.

I think i'll change the ZX12R within the next 12 months, i never thought i'd say it, but the power doesnt interest me anymore. I'm thinking a Beemer 1200GS might be my next buy... well, after an eBike.;)
You cannot register the two wheel drive here, but its not as good as you think. There are issues with the two wheel drive the chair sits too high and the axle sits too far back. It has also been shown that there is very little difference in it for offroad ability. So the two wheel drive does not come without its price, thats why i am not too bothered about it. Forgot to mention yes its because we have the left chair.

PS
Its an age thing, gave up my fast bikes when i hit forty and sold my Yamaha R1 and bought a 1200 GS Adventure, best thing i ever did.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Forgot to mention you can fit a bit more stuff on it than most bikes, like go camping etc.

Last edited:

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Current bike BMW 1200 GS Adventure and if i persuade the wife one of these for the summer

Are you a friend of Tarka over on UKGSER by any chance ? ;-)

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Are you a friend of Tarka over on UKGSER by any chance ? ;-)
Small world ain't it, spoke to him a few times about the ural and read his ride reports. There are even more of them over on ADVrider forum but ukgsers is one of the best forums on the web.