Does anyone else have an Orbea Gain Carbon on order?

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I think it might not just be Orbea that have a problem with e-road bike availability. I was chatting to the guys I bought my Cube e-mtb from the other day, and asked them about getting some Cube e-road bikes in as demonstrators. They told me they tried to get some in for this summer but were told Cube had not made enough and that most of them had gone to the larger shops on the continent.

ChrisBike

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2018
Right, well I'm pleased to report that I collected my M20 yesterday.
First impressions? It looks cracking, just like a road bike should. Weighs in at 12 kg on the suitcase scales. Rides like a road bike too. The balance between the down-tube battery and rear hub motor is spot on and handling is, therefore, excellent.
Only one short ride so far as the effective air temperature was 0 degrees! I took in a couple of savage hills and needed to up the assist level above the lowest. I need to regain some lost fitness!
I'll post more when I've given it a proper go, but I have to find a spare day!
If you like the Orbea, do also look at Ribble's new offering. It's essentially the same bike on a Ribble frame. About £500 cheaper for a similar spec. I prefer the more traditional look of the Orbea, but £500 is £500!

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Thanks for the feedback Chris. I tested a Cube road bike the other day with the Fazua motor and was rather disappointed. An LBS has a Giant road E +2 and an Orbea Gain on display but don't have either as demonstration models. I would not consider buying either without going out for a proper ride.

I might contact Ribble to arrange a ride, but now the weather is getting colder I might just leave it until next spring.

What was the Orbea like on the hills? I live in a very hilly area with lots of hills 10% and steeper. The Fazua motor seemed to be less than half the power of a Bosch CX although the literature said otherwise.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Thanks for the feedback Chris. I tested a Cube road bike the other day with the Fazua motor and was rather disappointed.
What was the Orbea like on the hills? I live in a very hilly area with lots of hills 10% and steeper. The Fazua motor seemed to be less than half the power of a Bosch CX although the literature said otherwise.
It would be interesting to read a side by side review of these two bikes. I'm kind of intrigued by them, although I am also surrounded by hills, so how they cope with steep gradients would be something I'd want to know as well.

I would imagine the crank drive Fazua should be the winner on steep stuff - as long as the bike's gearing is up to it. But who knows .... we need the reviews/test rides!

I think this subject also shows how one can't just look at claimed torque figures. Many people say its a pretty useless metric when comparing different bikes across different systems.

Reactions: Nev

ThierryGTLTS

Just Joined
Feb 28, 2019
An advantage of the Orbea is that you can place up to 50mm wide tires!
What's the maximum on the Ribble, Bianchi, or Wilier?
Anyone who measure the clearance?!

Have a Nice Day.
Thierry