Does this sound ok?

jockass

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 26, 2016
Glasgow
Hi,

Just in the process of my brompton conversion using Q85 motor. Having loosely laced my wheel i thought i would give it a whirl to check. Can you tell me if you think the motor sounds ok? The noise i'm talking about is the one immediately on throttle which then disappears as the motor gains speed.

Having not had one of these motors before i don't know if it is a feature or i have a faulty unit.

Cheers,
Jock

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
It's not right, that's for sure. Could it be all spokes taking up the slack as the motor spins up? I'd be inclined to either remove or tighten the spokes then try again.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

jockass

Jul 26, 2016
Glasgow
HI Alan,

It's the noise at the beginning as the motor starts to spin that i am concerned about. Here is a better video with spokes tightened.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Could be the clutch engaging doesn't sound very worrying to me. Did you open the motor to see if it has enough grease? See the difference with spokes tight, you will have another difference when the tyre is mounted because it will absorb even more vibrations. And you will have a better idea after the motor has done about 100 km and the bearings are run in.

• Informative
Reactions: jockass

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Wait until it's built up and on the road under load. It sounds like new gears starting up with no work to do. If there was a fault it would howl a bit when up to speed. Try it on the frame with the brake applied lightly to give it some work to do. Quick PS, are you still running this at 48 volts ?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jockass

jockass

Jul 26, 2016
Glasgow
Thanks Kuo, Yes - It is still running at 48v. Not much running yet as I'm in the process of sourcing a new S06 controller and lcd to replace the controller and led that came with the motor. Its been a learning journey for sure, but a lot of fun.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Running at 48 volts is the most likely source of your snags. If you are new to this stuff it's best to keep everything standard or easily returned to standard. It may help to search the forum for technical posts by member d8veh. You will find loads of info on this type of modification. The US forum 'endless sphere' is worth a look as modding is a frequent subject on there.