Woosh DWGC22 installation thoughts

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
Well, I've finished the bike and took it for a ride today.

I cannot believe I am allowed such a thing. It makes cycling really, really easy and I think it will pay for itself in no time. I can't see any point in keeping my car now. Not turning up at places all sweaty.

Installation was really straightforward - the only thing I did was fit it to a different frame to the one I planned because I was too chicken to file out the dropouts on the frame I originally planned to use.

The only issues on installation were:

1. You probably need new tubes or valve extensions if you want to use a modern pump. The supplied rim has a very deep profile.
  2. The front wheel was not very good on this bike so I managed to find an "ebike" front wheel from Wheelson_shop on eBay which seems to have the same rim. This is a potentially very strong wheel (that massive rim and stainless Sapim spokes) but it was really badly made - I had to stress relieve and retension everything before use. Still, you can pay that much for the spokes! I could see these wheels being great for a low-cost touring bike with a little bit of attention.
  3. The battery has a very high centre of gravity which is not ideal. This is not an issue for me because I'm going to transplant this wheel to a different bike with a front rack once I feel it's proved itself and brazed some alterations onto it, but still - if you can possibly do so get the downtube battery, it's a much better choice.
  4. I didn't realise this until I read the instructions, but you are advised not to store the battery indoors. That is a new headache I hadn't thought of. I will need to build a shed for the new bike.
Woosh were very helpful and I'll be buying another kit from them in due course.

A very positive experience. I will report back in aear.

Really pleased with the bike.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Show a pic!

I didn't realise this until I read the instructions, but you are advised not to store the battery indoors. That is a new headache I hadn't thought of. I will need to build a shed for the new bike.
Don't lithium ion batteries get damaged by very low temperatures?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Safe storage is from -20 degrees C.
There is a small risk of fire with all ebike batteries. our advice is to avoid keeping and charging your high capacity high power batteries inside the house or at least do that where it is well ventilated and the risk of collateral damage is minimised. Don't overcharge, don't leave the charger connected much more than needed.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
Thanks for your thoughts, folks.

I think I am treating myself to a bike shed. Time to start a thread....