E-Bike suitable for towing Special Needs Trailer

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you can tow almost anything on flat roads, even with a light assist bike like the Gtech. I am a long time fan of crank drives, you can check my posts over the last 4-5 years, but I tell you why most people use a hub motor to haul trailers.
The drive components (chain wheel, chain, rear sprocket) are designed to have around 4-5 times the output of a normal rider and will pull easily a person weighing 110kgs. Add a trailer with your child to it, your chain and sprocket will work twice as hard. That's not the case of a hub motor bike. The trailer loads the motor, not the chain and sprockets.

Reactions: -Bucks-

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
I have been towing our daughter (plus everyone else's belongings) around forest tracks including up & down hills etc with no asitance for the past few years with my wife & other daughter still lagging behind lol, so I think something like this Cube Reaction Hybrid HPA Pro 500 would make a big difference & make it a lot less effort when needed :)
I hoping I'm making the right decision in thinking I don't need the full throttle (plus my wife keeps banging on about there going to become illegal in the uk soon) plus it looks like these sort of bikes & the BPMs are quite a lot heavier than these Cube bikes!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Throttles will be illegal in the future but if you buy now you should be able to claim grandfather's rights.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I hoping I'm making the right decision in thinking I don't need the full throttle (plus my wife keeps banging on about there going to become illegal in the uk soon)
E-bikes with full throttles bought after 1st January 2018 will need to be type approved for use in the UK.

Those bought before that date have "grandfather rights" and can be legally used for the duration of their life. As with most changes in law, this one is not retrospective.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Guys, we are still humming & haring over the Cube Reaction Hybrid HPA Pro 500 as it looks & feels like a realy nice bike :)
It is a nice bike and the motor has very high torque for towing. The only thing against a crank drive e-bike is the high wear and tear on chain and sprockets.

These are designed for a rider's circa 200 watts of average effort, so when an e-bike motor rated at 500 watts plus maximum also drives the chain and sprockets, they are subjected to up to four times the wear rate.

That just means more frequent need for replacement of the chain and front and rear sprocket sets. Obviously that doesn't apply to hub motors which transmit their drive directly down onto the road.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I think his heart is already set on this beauty:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Who would blame him! Are the front and rear cogs steel on these Bosch bikes?

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
It is a nice bike and the motor has very high torque for towing. The only thing against a crank drive e-bike is the high wear and tear on chain and sprockets.

These are designed for a rider's circa 200 watts of average effort, so when an e-bike motor rated at 500 watts plus maximum also drives the chain and sprockets, they are subjected to up to four times the wear rate.

That just means more frequent need for replacement of the chain and front and rear sprocket sets. Obviously that doesn't apply to hub motors which transmit their drive directly down onto the road.
Are the chain & sprockets expensive to replace?
I don't really understand why they would ware anymore than it would now with me doing all the peddling?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
That just means more frequent need for replacement of the chain and front and rear sprocket sets.

only be about 40-50 quid every 1000 miles :) and yes they are steel.

front sprocket only be 10 quid rear 10 spd 30 and 10 for a chain.

my bike tho way much more 100 for rear and 85 for haibike sprocket and 30 for a chain.

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
That just means more frequent need for replacement of the chain and front and rear sprocket sets.

only be about 40-50 quid every 1000 miles :) and yes they are steel.

front sprocket only be 10 quid rear 10 spd 30 and 10 for a chain.

my bike tho way much more 100 for rear and 85 for haibike sprocket and 30 for a chain.
Is it the sort of job a novice could do to change them? Probably would take a year or few to do 1000miles anyway :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you will need a crank puller and the spanner to remove to lock ring on the front sprocket 10 min job.

same with the rear cassette just need the tool to remove it from the wheel.

prob want to cahnge the chain every 500 miles and thats it.

i think the front sprocket is only 14t on that so might want to up it to 16-18t but ask them to change it when you buy as only 10 quid. the spanner cost more lol.

id also go tubeless and up the back and front rotor size for better braking, im just fussy tho

Reactions: -Bucks- and trex

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I suppose you've got to live a little and who likes boring bikes?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't really understand why they would ware anymore than it would now with me doing all the peddling?
With up to four times the drive force being transmitted, more wear is inevitable. Once you use this bike you will use the power and be travelling much faster than you would with your effort alone.

However, if your mileage is low the wear won't be the big problem it could be for a daily distance commuter.

Ultimately the bike that feels right for you is the right bike, so if the Cube is that bike, by all means buy and enjoy it.

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
With up to four times the drive force being transmitted, more wear is inevitable. Once you use this bike you will use the power and be travelling much faster than you would with your effort alone.

However, if your mileage is low the wear won't be the big problem it could be for a daily distance commuter.

Ultimately the bike that feels right for you is the right bike, so if the Cube is that bike, by all means buy and enjoy it.
Probably not traveling any faster! Just a lot less work involved getting uphill, otherwise my wife & 9 year old daughter won't see me for dust lol

Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the trouble with those good looking bikes is this: imagine your legs with 4 times your current pedaling power. How fast would you be on your current bike? probably much faster than the legal 15mph. Are you prepared to reduce your own leg strength or get a dongle?