eBike for the wife...

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
So now I've got mine all up and working, I've had to put up with the subtle digs etc which then lead to not to subtle "I want one syndrome!" We've had a look at buying new, via cycle to work but we hit the same problem all the time.. No throttle....

To put the perspective on why, she's 5ft1(and a bit) could do with exercising like myself and suffers from the usual things from lack of exercise but the main pain point is she has been diagnosed as suffering with fibromyalgia. Recently she did a pain management course and they were quite happy with the idea of an ebike as a form of exercise.

So I've been looking at the Decathlon Elops 520 https://www.decathlon.co.uk/elops-520-step-over-classic-bike-dark-blue-id_8378612.html as a conversion subject. Main criteria was low as possible step thru and a good riding position. Thinking one of the Woosh kits potentially with a rack mounted battery (or perhaps battery on the tube would need to use my battery to test fit.

My main concern is the fact it doesn't have disc brakes and in the past the recommendation of a donor has been disc braked based from the many threads I've read.

Is there another "dutch style" that includes disc brakes or is it just not normally found on that style of frame? Has anyone else converted a decathlon elops?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You could put a Magura HS11 on the front, it will brake just as nicely as a disk. https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/magura-hs11-4-finger-brake-front-706490

If you don't change the Decathlon tyres change at least the tubes, it will save you a lot of time but I would put Big Apple Plus or Big Ben Plus tyres on too - handling, comfort, puncture protection (that is what the Plus means).

Rear motor with 6 speed freewheel will do the job nicely, HL battery on the seat post leaves enough room to pass your leg.

DouglasXK

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
Oxford
The roads are so bad round our way that I converted a Giant Liv Tempt 3 hard tail bike for my wife. The 27.5” x 2.2” tyres and front suspension are great for potholes. Not as low a step thru. Hydraulic disc brakes and 2x9 gears.

The bike is no longer made by Giant but some are appearing secondhand for £250 or so.

She’s not smitten due to the higher step thru but in every other respect is pleased. The TSDZ2 motor gives her the exercise she wants - she has to pedal it but there is a throttle.

As a treat I fitted 1x11 and 11-42t cassette. With slightly arthritic fingers, the Deore XT M8000 kit (chain, shifter, derailleur and cassette cost £160), makes it easy and is so smooth that it’s worth it. I made a 48v 14Ahr battery weighing 2.7kg and with the original bike being quite light, the whole thing is comfortable.

The battery is fitted on the lower tube. We don’t like a battery mounted over the rear wheel. It makes the bike a little cumbersome. What Kiwi recommends and which I hadn’t seriously thought about for a battery position, would be good.

As for a Dutch handlebar? These are not expensive to buy and, with another bike, I took off the straight bars and fitted a trek bar. It works ok but the natural position isn’t as upright as a true Dutch bike.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
The roads are so bad round our way that I converted a Giant Liv Tempt 3 hard tail bike for my wife. The 27.5” x 2.2” tyres and front suspension are great for potholes. Not as low a step thru. Hydraulic disc brakes and 2x9 gears.

The bike is no longer made by Giant but some are appearing secondhand for £250 or so.

She’s not smitten due to the higher step thru but in every other respect is pleased. The TSDZ2 motor gives her the exercise she wants - she has to pedal it but there is a throttle.

As a treat I fitted 1x11 and 11-42t cassette. With slightly arthritic fingers, the Deore XT M8000 kit (chain, shifter, derailleur and cassette cost £160), makes it easy and is so smooth that it’s worth it. I made a 48v 14Ahr battery weighing 2.7kg and with the original bike being quite light, the whole thing is comfortable.

The battery is fitted on the lower tube. We don’t like a battery mounted over the rear wheel. It makes the bike a little cumbersome. What Kiwi recommends and which I hadn’t seriously thought about for a battery position, would be good.

As for a Dutch handlebar? These are not expensive to buy and, with another bike, I took off the straight bars and fitted a trek bar. It works ok but the natural position isn’t as upright as a true Dutch bike.
Have you tried googling "electric bike with throttle, dutch style"?
There are two step throughs in our range, both with throttles.

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
Have you tried googling "electric bike with throttle, dutch style"?
There are two step throughs in our range, both with throttles.
I wasn't aware of that! One to add to the list to go look at.

If we do go down the Decathlon route one of the first things will be changing the tyres to Schwabe, was thinking Big Apple to give a little comfort!