ebike kit advice needed

flying-chase

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2013
Letchworth uk
Hi everyone,
I’m a newbie to ebikes and would like some help and feedback if possible. I have been scouring these forums and endless sphere as well. Does the following sound like a good configuration and are my calculations correct. I have tried to keep costs down and at a later stage can add extra batteries for range and modify stock components.

Ebike shopping list
1) 1x Motor 48v/450w GNG the new upgraded gen 1 with mud guard motor (ebay £290.00) ELECTRIC BIKE KIT 48V 450W BRUSHLESS NEW UPGRADED MID DRIVE MOTOR, NO BATTERY | eBay
2) 2 x batteries (£32.17each) Turnigy 5000mAh 6S 20C Lipo Pack (UK Warehouse)
3) 2x chargers (15.17 each) Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories
Or maybe just one (£26.39) HobbyKing ECO6-10 200W 10A 6S Bal/Dis/Cyc Charger w/ acc.
4) 1x Watt meter (£16.90)
Turnigy 130A Watt Meter and Power Analyzer (UK Warehouse)
5) 2x 8s lipo battery tester/alarm (£2.99 each) 8S Lipo Battery Tester Checker Low Voltage Buzzer Alarm | eBay
6) 10 x Anderson connectors (£6.99) 10 X ANDERSON POWERPOLE 45 AMP ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR PLUG, GOLF TROLLEY, KIT CAR | eBay
7) 8 awg wire – black (3 metres £6.21) Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 8AWG (1mtr) BLACK
8) 8 awg wire (3 metres £6.21) Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 8AWG (1mtr) RED

Total cost is 290.00+64.34+30.34 (or 26.39) + 16.90 + 5.98 + 6.99+ 6.21+6.21 = £416.97 or (£423.02)
I need to connect the two batteries in series to give 44.4 volt and 5ah. Plug in the lipo battery testers into each battery while riding to avoid going below 3.2v. After ride, recharge on the balance charger to 4.2v.
Use a dremel to sand down the ridges on the belt drive to increase belt lifetime.

A) Range
Commute distance is 6 miles round trip i.e. 9.6km. (To calculate the watt hours (WH) of a battery pack, simply multiply the voltage by the amp hours (Ah) of the pack, i.e 44.4 x 5 = 222.)
If I manage to do 20 W/Km, I have 222 WH divided by 20W/Km gives me a range of 11.1km, which will be improved due to pedaling.
B) Battery
Voltage of batteries in series is 44.4v and the above mentioned 20c 5A/Hr battery can give up to 100 amps constant. Stock GNG controller can take 20 amp

Is there anything I have forgotten or any way I can cut further costs? Has anyone got some experience ordering from Hobbyking (turn around times , delivery costs etc). Should I look at the 8Fun/bafang crank drive?
Apologies for all the questions but I would appreciate any help and advice.:D:D

Thanks
Charles

D

Deleted member 4366

You don't need two chargers, but instead, you should get a balance board to charge two bricks at the same time, but don't forget to take them out of series first. I think that 5aH is not enough. You'll spend too much time panicking about low voltage. Get a pair of 8aH ones instead.

8g wire is over-kill. I'd use 12g or 14g.

When connecting your wattmete, send only the black wire through it and bypass it completely with the red battery wire, then use a thin red wire to the positive on the input side. The positive doesn't need any current. This way you can mount the meter on your handlebars and only have one thick wire running to and from it, which saves wire and losses, and it's much tidier.

flying-chase

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2013
Letchworth uk
Hi D8ve,

Thanks for your advice.

Is this what you mean regarding a balance board? 2-6s parallel battery charging board T Connector Convenient LiPo imax b6 HLY | eBay which I would then use with the 200W charger, changing all connectors to andersons.

I’ll use 12G then, I was working on a better safe than sorry principle if I ever get around to modding the motor.

Should I mount a (20 Amp) fuse on the system and were? Have I missed anything else?

Still researching Hobbyking batteries by the Ah.

Charles

flying-chase

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2013
Letchworth uk
Hi D8ve,
Regarding the batteries (I have rounded the figures )

A)Nanotech 8 Ah (Weight 1.1kg) is £77 each x 2 = £154 (Weight 2.2kg)
B) Zippy flight 8 Ah (Weight 1.2kg) is £64 each x 2 = £128 (Weight 2.4kg)
C) Turnigy 5 Ah (Weight 0.8kg) is £32 each x 2 =£64 (Weight 1.6kg)

So
Ah/kg
A) 8/2.2= 3.6 Ah/Kg
B) 8/2.4=3.3 Ah/Kg
C) 5/1.6=3.1 Ah/Kg

Cost/Ah
A) 154/8 = £ 19
B) 128/8 = £ 16
C) 64/8 = £ 13

The most cost effective battery is the 5 Ah. But the most weight effective is the Nanotech. If I double the Turnigy I get 10 Ah (cost is £128). But the weight is then 3.2kg.
I think you’re right on the issue of ‘range anxiety’. But there is a cost benefit to the Turnigy but a weight benefit to the Nanotech.
So which one to go for?

Charles

D

Deleted member 4366

You pays your money and makes your choice. There's no exact answer.

That's the correct board.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

D

Deleted member 4366

Two torque arms if a front motor or one if on the rear.

D

Deleted member 4366

Have you ever ordered from .
Yes. They're generally quite good, but you don't get any sort of order acknowledgement, which is a bit worrying. Ehomer got a duff controller. They stopped responding to his e-mails about it, but, after a bit of a beake, he sent one more final email, and then they admitted that it was their fault and sent a replacement.

The GNG controller is OK, but the single level PAS is useless. The S12P with LCD and wheel-speed sensor from BMSB would make a good upgrade.

D

Deleted member 4366

The photo doesn't show the LCD, although the description says it does have one. That might mean that they provide their own controller, which is better than the GNG one; however the ones that I bought were for DD motors (no wheel-speed sensor) so the speed and distance readings on the display are meaningless. You should check that. From GNG, they're $451 including shipping, and then about £15 duty. Shipping from Conhismotor is $121, so overall Conhismotor is cheaper and possibly a better controller.

Even cheaper on Ebay
NEW! 48V 500W Brushless Geared Mid-Drive Motor Ebike Conversion Kits 5-speed LCD | eBay

flying-chase

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2013
Letchworth uk
Hi d8veh,
Thanks for the link. I don't know how I missed the item as I had seen their shop on eBay. The eBay Link does show a LCD display with speed. I'll double check with them anyway on Monday.

So I should expect to pay about £250 all in? There's no otter charge i need to expect as I have never orderered from China/overseas before.

I would also want to check that their controller would allow 20 amps, I.e. same as the gng so that I get a stock 1000 watts. Without any further modification.

Thanks
Charles

flying-chase

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2013
Letchworth uk
Hi d8veh,

I posted this question on endless sphere, but I would like any input you have, or any other Pedelec members.
Thanks in advance.

Charles

"Has anyone heard of Hallomotor? The company seems to have a very good price, including lcd display. But has anyone bought the gng ( or any) kit from this factory? What was their delivery times like, communication, packaging and delivery charges (I'm in the UK) and their controller max cut off is 25Amp. This is the link to the GNG kit
http://www.hallomotor.com/wholesale-48v ... its-2.html

flying-chase

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2013
Letchworth uk
Hi d8veh,

This is the response I had from conhismotors.
"The controller we provided support maximum 40A current.This kit includes PAS system.LCD could show speed and distance".

So it seems they do have a 5 level pas system, max of 2000w and should be received in about two weeks after ordering.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes. I'd recommend the S12S from BMSBattery.com. You have to order the LCD separately. The LCD3 gives you the opportunity to adjust the current from the default. The 5 PAS levels are very useful for adjusting the power too, so get a PAS sensor, and you should get the wheel speed sensor too.