eMTB buying advice

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Your use is probably better suited to a hardtail.

All those bushes and bearings on a full-sus require quite a bit of fettling to keep them running sweetly.

The Bosch Performance/CX motor is tuned for sporty riding, so the torque is all but instant, certainly livelier than the standard motor.

Motor integration on Bosch bikes tends to be better, not least because the casing has smoother lines than the Yamaha.

Easier to keep clean, if that's a consideration.

This Cube for £2,500 takes some beating.

Plenty of sizes, so you should be able to get a proper fit.

https://www.cube.eu/uk/2017/e-bike-hardtail/reaction-hybrid/cube-reaction-hybrid-hpa-sl-500-rednflashorange-2017/

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Don't rule out Bulls and Specialized using the high torque Brose motor.

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
The cube sl500 looks a fab buy for the money, and if You buy a suntour suspension seat post at about £50.00 you will have a fab ride and save a grand over the haibike.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
The cube looks like a really nice bike, neat design and quite stealthy, but I'm almost certainly going for full sus. For me the suspension is as much about comfort as it is optimal traction. I have cane creek suspension seatpots on both of my bikes, ST on my Giant Roam 3, and LT on my Ezee Forza. Only the LT makes any noticeable difference to the ride quality but even that doesn't smooth out the bumps as well as I would like.

I will definitely check out some other brands though. I'm currently looking at the KTM range - they have some nice bikes but their model numbering system is super confusing! I'll also check out the Cube and Scott full sus bikes.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You won't go wrong with a KTM, Cube or Scott - all good quality bikes.

Cubes look more keenly priced to me.

There's no doubt a full-sus is the comfort option, better in that respect than a suspension seat post.

What you don't need just for comfort is particularly long travel, which means you should be able to get something suitable on budget.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The Cube Stereo 120 HPA Race 500 can be had for £3000 (cubestorescunthorpe.co.UK) equivalent of Xduro 6.0 which is £4,4. I think spec level on Race is slightly higher than 6.0.

I will definitely check out some other brands though. I'm currently looking at the KTM range - they have some nice bikes but their model numbering system is super confusing! I'll also check out the Cube and Scott full sus bikes.
If you need any help, just ask.

Hopefully this might help.

Anything 27x is 27.5" wheel, anything 29x is 29er.

So Force 292 and Force 272 are identical in every way except for the wheel size.

As the numbers get smaller, the spec gets better.

So Force 293 is cheapest, Force 291 most expensive.

This numbering system works for all ebike models.

on the full suspension if its Kapoho, its 27.5+ and Lycan, its standard 27.5

Lots of bikes mean its hard to come up with a simple naming system, but we do our best.

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
If you need any help, just ask.

Hopefully this might help.

Anything 27x is 27.5" wheel, anything 29x is 29er.

So Force 292 and Force 272 are identical in every way except for the wheel size.

As the numbers get smaller, the spec gets better.

So Force 293 is cheapest, Force 291 most expensive.

This numbering system works for all ebike models.

on the full suspension if its Kapoho, its 27.5+ and Lycan, its standard 27.5

Lots of bikes mean its hard to come up with a simple naming system, but we do our best.
Thanks, that's useful. Is there anything in the naming convention that indicates the amount of suspension travel, or in other words a bike suitable mainly for XC with shorter suspension travel vs an aggressive downhill bike with longer suspension travel?

I'm looking for a full sus bikes with around 120mm of suspension travel for trail / XC or possibly an AllMtn style bike at around 140/150mm.

Thanks, that's useful. Is there anything in the naming convention that indicates the amount of suspension travel, or in other words a bike suitable mainly for XC with shorter suspension travel vs an aggressive downhill bike with longer suspension travel?

I'm looking for a full sus bikes with around 120mm of suspension travel for trail / XC or possibly an AllMtn style bike at around 140/150mm.
Basically, Lycan = 125mm travel,

http://www.flidistribution.co.uk/search/products?keywords=Macina+Lycan

and Kapho LT = 160mm travel

http://www.flidistribution.co.uk/search/products?keywords=Kapoho+LT

Why you'd not want more travel on an eBike I'm not sure, to be honest all the e benefits mean if it was my money I'd be going 160mm all day long..

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Why you'd not want more travel on an eBike I'm not sure, to be honest all the e benefits mean if it was my money I'd be going 160mm all day long..
This is why:

I'm a novice when comes to MTBs so I don't need a bike that can handle the real adrenaline junky type terrain and jumps etc. I'm based in Milton Keynes and I'd be using the bike mostly for cross country and local forest trails e.g., Woburn and Rushmere Country Park.
The OP wants full sus for comfort, fair enough, but under 100mm would do that.

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
I've now had the opportunity to ride both the Bosch CX and Yamaha PW system on two separate occasions. The first time I thought I preferred the Yamaha as it felt a lot more peppy then the Bosch. However the second time was the complete opposite and it felt like the Bosch offered way more assistance despite the battery being nearly dead on the demonstration bike. The Yamaha felt very subtle, perhaps too subtle for my liking especially in eco+ and eco. There again a more subtle assist might be a good thing given that I'd still like to get a workout. I'm really not sure. Decisions decisions. I'm going to visit a third bike shop next week to try both systems again.

Interesting that the people I spoke to at the bike shops - while acknowledging that both were good systems - seemed on balance to prefer the Yamaha and indicated that it was the more reliable of the two.

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
So I visited another bike shop today and had another opportunity to ride both Yamaha and Bosch powered bikes. The conclusion I've come to is that I'd be equally happy with either system but if I had to choose I think I'd go for the Yamaha. The Yamaha feels marginally less powerful (than the Bosch) but the power delivery feels smoother, the motor is quieter and it feels more like riding a regular bike which appeals to me.

Having now visited three ebike shops - all of which have been helpful and accommodating - I have observed a few things which I found quite surprising.

1. Very few bikes are kept in store and even fewer are available to test ride. As such it's almost impossible to test ride the models that are of interest.

2. Lack of stock and lack of availability from the manufacturers seems to be an issue.

3. Advice on motor choice has been completely contradictory from one shop to another. One was 50/50 and said both were good systems and it was really down to personal preference. Another shop favoured the Yamaha and said that they had far fewer problems with Yamaha motors. The final shop I visited strongly favoured the Bosch CX motor saying it was much more refined and powerful and had far fewer problems and in fact they were very disparaging about the Yamaha motor.

4. One shop I suspect was recommending bikes and particular brands and being slightly disparaging about other brands based on what they had in stock or what they could get hold of quickly rather than the bike that was right for me or what I had said I was interested in. There was no doubt some truth in what they were saying but they just didn't seem very customer focused. It seemed like they had very little in stock and would have difficulty getting hold of new stock so it was very much a case of buy what they had in stock and be quick about it or be prepared for a long lead time. I'm not going to name names of course and they were accommodating and were happy for me to have a test ride but certainly the two other shops I visited had a nicer vibe to them.

I've now narrowed my choice down to the following four bikes and I'd be interested to know your views on how they compare spec wise. I have to admit I'm leaning heavily toward the Haibike SDuro AllMtn 6.0 to the point that I'm almost ready to pull the trigger.

Haibike SDuro AllMtn 6.0
https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/123955/products/haibike-sduro-allmtn-6-0-27-5-electric-bike-2017-black-cyan-orange.aspx

KTM Macina Lycan 274 2017
https://www.goodbikegear.com/KTM-Macina-Lycan-274-2017?language=en&currency=GBP&gclid=CKvuqZfp1dICFU2eGwod-sQODw

MOUSTACHE SAMEDI 27 TRAIL 8 2017
http://www.fullycharged.com/Moustache-Samedi-27-Trial-8-2017-ebike

CUBE, STEREO HYBRID 140 HOA RACE 500 27.5, 2017
https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/Cube e-bikes/STEREO-HYBRID-140-HPA-RACE-500-27.5

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh