eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Why the photo taking? It's legal to ride a bike on a bridleway?
It is legal, but cycling on Ashdown Forest isn't permitted, so everyone assumes that when you are on one of the seven bridleways, that you have no right to be there. The issue isn't helped by signs placed all over the place stating no cycling. Not that anyone takes any notice of that though.

I have had several incidents with walkers on the bridleway shown below which we were on today. I used to take an Ordnance survey map along with me on rides, but for some reason stopped that a long time ago.
This is the second time that I have had my photo taken, the first time was on Xmas day two years ago. Some people have nothing better to do.

On FB, someone called Neil Pearson who has his account set to private, has in the past threatened to set booby traps, suggested that mtb riders are shot by sniper, and just last week, suggested that mtb riders are made to wear an electric dog restraint collar, and then harmed.

The bridleway is marked here in red.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
LP, good luck with that one. :) http://www.ashdownforest.org/enjoy/faq.php You would even be hauled up for wheeling a child's pram on there.

I find this one even odder. Broadwater forest, which is just a few miles away from me. You could spend a whole evening riding around on the hard packed trails causing o harm to anyone or anything, yet cycles are not allowed there. Not that it stops anyone.

What you can do though, is walk your dog there and allow it to roam anywhere and everywhere and I have yet to see anyone take any notice of the rules that state that dogs must be kept on leads during breeding season.

Apparently cycles disturb and frighten birds, but dogs running amok don't. o_O

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

BootsDave

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
Aveyron, France
This is the route my wife an I followed today. One section was a bit too steep. I had to stop twice. Unfortunately my wife had to get off and push.
IMG_0740.JPG

We did the route back to front,which on reflection was a bad idea.
IMG_0211.PNG
Dave

If I crop an image on the iPad, the upload always fails with an error about the file type and file extension not matching?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Musings from a ride.

It hasn't been a bad week for getting out on the bike. Frustratingly only night rides, and for pretty much the first time ever, last night I opened the door to pop out for a ride, but turned tail back indoors thinking sod that, it's too cold.

I took two tumbles on frozen ground during the group night ride, totally my fault as I had the tyre pressures set too high for the conditions. The Hutchinson DZO's would normally just shrug ice riding conditions off in their stride.
The first incident was on level ground, as I became cross rutted in my own frozen tyre tread marks from two days previous. Frustratingly it was a hidden tree stump along a tight technical wooded section that had me off the second time. It sent me to the ground and I was pinned under the bike, against a tree, with my leg bent backwards and as hard as I might try, I just couldn't get up. Unbeknown to me, another tree stump had become wedged in the bike frame, and the bike with me on it, was locked solid. Much to the amusement of everyone else, both the bike and myself had to be lifted up at the same time. Just glad that this hadn't happened when out on my own!

I always look forward to the banter and conversations when out on group rides, and this weeks ride didn't disappoint. The bulk of the conversation revolved around dropper posts, Danny Harts mental 2011 DH run, Video clips about Nino Schurter, which somehow always lead us to our favourite topic of conversation about Jenny Rissveds. Emily Batty cropped up briefly, along my opinion of her only being a seven tenths rider. A super fit (in more ways than one) rider, but has herself beaten and defeated before she even starts a race. As was pointed out to me, no one cares about her riding ability, she has looks and fitness, and that sells bikes.

Next up came Seths Bike Hacks, and a clip that he made about not given up when an obstacle beats you the first time. A very informative clip that makes a load of sense. All to often when out on a ride, a bank, drop off, or something else has you defeated, but rather than just shrugging your shoulders and carrying on, go back and try again and again until you do it. Something that I did just last weekend on a bank that I had failed to get up on five separate occasions. Not any more, and used that advantage to great effect on the night ride, by climbing that bank whilst no one else did.

I do still have one nemeses though, and that is an almost vertical 1.2m bank which has in my head, the potential to just send me over the bars when I hit the bottom of it. It's daft really, as the drop forms the second part of another drop which is probably about 3m high. Everyone else struggles with that one but not the bottom one, whilst I can blindly go off the 3m one, but not the 1.2m one. Very weird.

The final bike related topic of the evening focussed on José Hernández, another superb rider.

Roll on next months group night ride. :)

I now just need to decide where to ride this weekend. I had in mind to head off to the South Downs, but the weather doesn't look that great, and it would be a wasted ride. So with that in mind, it could just be a local ride in my private play ground, along with some more trail building.

Last edited:

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Haven't had so much time lately but this is from this weekends rides, have seen much new epic trails and views. One mountain going up to a radio tower, that was very difficult with bicycle. But worth it because it was awesome view. And also the most popular MTB area around here "Delsjön", that has these nice privy on some places. Not much winter left here but the ice is still thick on some lakes.

IMG_5597.jpg IMG_5629.jpg IMG_5632-Edit.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If I crop an image on the iPad, the upload always fails with an error about the file type and file extension not matching?
A common reason this can happen is the extension changed from .jpg to .jpeg. Changing the extension back to .jpg makes the file acceptable.

• Informative
Reactions: EddiePJ

Apprentice

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2017
Ireland
Haven't had so much time lately but this is from this weekends rides, have seen much new epic trails and views. One mountain going up to a radio tower, that was very difficult with bicycle. But worth it because it was awesome view. And also the most popular MTB area around here "Delsjön", that has these nice privy on some places. Not much winter left here but the ice is still thick on some lakes.

View attachment 17475 View attachment 17476 View attachment 17477
Savage pics

Reactions: Deere John

Apprentice

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2017
Ireland
I had forgotten just how rubbish that riding on bridleways and country lanes is during the winter months.

Lanes strewn with shreds of hawthorn and blackthorn from winter hedge cutting, and bridleways wrecked by horses. I shan't be repeating that for a very long time to come
What cameras are you folks using

Related Articles

Advertisers