Ezee Torq Battery replacement?

alanterrill

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2006
I'm trying to help a friend who has an Ezee Torq which has been terribly unreliable since new. I persuaded her to take it to Onbike and they have duly fixed the electrical problems she's been having. However in the 18 months or so she's been unable to use it, both batteries have become useless. One will barely get her up a single hill and the other is completely dead. I offered to take a look to see if I could recell it, but I've only dealt with Nimh before and was a bit surprised at the shape of the cells in this Li one. This is a Phylion XH370-10J type. I can't find anyone selling individual cells of this type. As a last ditch attempt - can anyone tell me if its possible to obtain and fit new cells? Or is there any company that would do it for me? Onbike will sell her a complete pack for £500 but I suspect given all the trouble she's had with this bike, that will be the final straw that makes her cut her losses and revert to the car.

C

Cyclezee

I'm trying to help a friend who has an Ezee Torq which has been terribly unreliable since new. I persuaded her to take it to Onbike and they have duly fixed the electrical problems she's been having. However in the 18 months or so she's been unable to use it, both batteries have become useless. One will barely get her up a single hill and the other is completely dead. I offered to take a look to see if I could recell it, but I've only dealt with Nimh before and was a bit surprised at the shape of the cells in this Li one. This is a Phylion XH370-10J type. I can't find anyone selling individual cells of this type. As a last ditch attempt - can anyone tell me if its possible to obtain and fit new cells? Or is there any company that would do it for me? Onbike will sell her a complete pack for £500 but I suspect given all the trouble she's had with this bike, that will be the final straw that makes her cut her losses and revert to the car.
The old Phylion batteries were very problematic and it is not possible to recell them. The current generation of Ezee batteries however are a different story, very reliable. There are 2 inframe choices 10Ah for £400 or for longer range, 14Ah for £500. Granted they are not cheap, but no more expensive than other brands. If the bike has been sorted, £400 would turn the Torq into one that performs like new.

J:) hn

alanterrill

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2006
Thanks for that- will the original charger work with these newer battery packs?

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Thanks for that- will the original charger work with these newer battery packs?
Yes, If you have the one labelled HP (High Power) Li-Ion charger it will work with the latest batteries from Ezee. The NiMh won't.

J:) hn

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The web page below on my Torq site shows photos of one of these batteries taken apart, from which you'll see that cell replacement would not be a simple job even if cells were available. In practice cells aren't supplied due to them constantly changing with development.

Original eZee-Phylion lithium battery internals