Fat bike - mid vs rear hub

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The drop out on my steel frame appeared oversized so you might need one both sides also had to fit a chain tensioner each side [the ali frames are a thru axle ] but think ahead fixing a puncture will be a pig:mad: fat tyres and thorns do not mix
Converted to tubeless had to tape the rim with gorrilla tape did not work, as the rim had the cut outs /holes ended up ghetto style tubeless this appears to be ok so far needs a compressor and is a steep learning curve

• Informative
Reactions: MikeFB

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
I may as well fit two then, can't harm it.

Not too sure about going tubeless, haven't really looked into it. I have a couple of puncture repair kits though, so if worse comes to worse, I'll do any repair with the rear wheel still on the bike. Although I have just ordered some cheap tubes from China and going to try some slime in it as well, just to see how it goes?

What was the reason for the need for the chain tensioner? I was looking at getting a chainstay protector. Do you think this would be an easier option?

Last edited:

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The chain tensioners one each side helped to get the rear wheel back in the same place once removed and replaced, tried paint lines marks etc big heavy lump to hold and tighten on your own
PROMISE made NEVER TO BUY ANOTHER ALL STEEL FAT BIKE:rolleyes: far to heavy without the conversion kit

Reactions: MikeFB

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
The chain tensioners one each side helped to get the rear wheel back in the same place once removed and replaced, tried paint lines marks etc big heavy lump to hold and tighten on your own
PROMISE made NEVER TO BUY ANOTHER ALL STEEL FAT BIKE:rolleyes: far to heavy without the conversion kit
Haha yeah went down the road (hill) on mine the other day. Having got used to my ebikes and their assistance I guess I wasn't expecting to go far with my fat bike. Was OK down hill and for the first 50 or so yards on the flat, kept going for another 100 yards and then decided I'd had enough knowing I had to go back up a hill. No choice but to do the old slow mo stand up and press with all my weight side to side action up the hill, must have looked a real sight. Felt like I'd done a 400 metre sprint!