Finally bought a smaller folder for conversion...

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
You're right, is there a proper way to do that? I have no callipers.. is it just a case of removing a tyre and measuring the actual wheel rim rather than trying to measure over the tyre?

Here's a pic...
The markings on your existing tyres should give you a clue as to size. If you need to measure the rim see here - you are measuring the diameter.

Sorry, crossed post. Great minds.....

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
It will be written on the side of the tire. I would say its almost DEFINATLEY 349mm.

Best puncture proof tires in that size are Marathon Plus but be aware that they are weighty and will add another 0.5-0.7kg to the carry weight.

Building a wheel is not a problem several people on here will be able to do it for you.

Of course you will then have all the fun of getting these tries off and on the small 16" rims, though again with MP that should only be once when you put them on :)

There is no benefit in fitting Big Apples (even though you can't get them in 349mm) as isn't this bike full suspended back and front ?

If it was me I would go of for light fast rolling Kojaks though you will be fixing punctures. I am averaging about 3-4 a year but the weight saving is worth it if you want to keep the carry weight down

Regards

Jerry

D

Deleted member 4366

That says it's for front fork, can it still be used for rear?
Yes. I just looked again and I'm not sure that GBK do the one for 12mm axle. Bafang and Cute (Ananda) motors have 12mm axle - probably Tongxin as well. Maybe someone who has one can confirm. The torque am comes in 12mm and 14mm versions. 14mm is not as good as 12mm for 12mm axles. BMSBattery do both versions.
EBike Torque Arm

Looks like you'll have to get a bare motor and get it built into a rim. Catsnapper can help. Unfortunately this wheel size will end up costing a lot more, and the brake prevents you from using the smaller one as far as I can see.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
It will be written on the side of the tire. I would say its almost DEFINATLEY 349mm.

Best puncture roof tires in that size is Marathon Plus but be aware that is goung to add another 0.5-0.7kg to the weight.

Buidling a wheel is not a problem several people on here will be able to do it for you.

Of course you will then have all the fun of getting these tries off and on the small 16" rims though again with MP that should only be once when you put them on :)

There is no benefit in fitting Big apples as isn't this bike full suspension back and front ?

If it was me I would go of for light fast rolling Kojaks though you will be fixing punctures. I am averaging about 3-4 a year but the weight saving is worth it if you want to keep the carry weight down

Regards

Jerry
Thanks Jerry, I appreciate all the help with this build.. it's obviously a lot more involved than my first build!

I feel quite daft now re the wheel rims measuring the tyre diameter... shows how much I know :eek:

Well I've looked over every inch of the wheel rims and tyres (using the flashlight on my HTC!) and can't see any measurements.. all it has is tyre pressure info..the tyres are branded Mezzo but have "Cheng Shin Tyre" and "Kevlar inside"..a puncture resistant layer under the inner tube?

Here's some pix anyway, does indeed look 349mm..

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yep as I said these are 349mm rims.

E conversions always get complicated with small wheeled "compact" folding bikes.

I have just checked again and it looks like it does not have suspension front or rear.

Regards

Jerry

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Best puncture proof tires in that size are Marathon Plus but be aware that they are weighty and will add another 0.5-0.7kg to the carry weight.
Ack! I need to get the weight down not up! I may well end up removing the gears then to compensate. I'm hoping the saddle will be comfortable enough not need to replacing with a heavier one...it feels ok to sit on but riding it will be the real test. Everything else looks ok, good comfortable grips, brakes feel good, pedals very good quality..

There is no benefit in fitting Big Apples (even though you can't get them in 349mm) as isn't this bike full suspended back and front ?
No way, this bike has zero suspension. Maybe the unusual buckle-style clips at front and back give the impression of suspension but they're just clips for the fold mechanism.

I may well follow your advice here and just keeping the emphasis on simplicity and light weight..I need to think about what I'm using the bike for..really it's to be like a commuter bike for me, but I won't be commuting, just doing daily runs to the sorting office and maybe some light recreational use locally, not venturing too far on this bike..I think the risk of punctures is fairly low then.. so I could even just leave the existing tyres on with the Kevlar puncture thingy inside. I've seen it said that the front wheel is a bitch to remove on this bike and doing it roadside is not ideal, needs special tools.. but since the bike is so small folded worse case scenario call a taxi!

I will try to get a 20" JetStream next as a full suspension second bike for longer journeys and keep the Mezzo has my lighter and more portable daily "work bike"...saying that, it's not as light as I had hoped and weighs pretty much the same as many Dahon 20" bikes...but that is probably down the more substantial down tube, rack/aluminium mudguards! The advantage though is the small fold it's only 10cm bigger than Brompton and so it can go on trains uncovered, so reviewers claim...and of course, it will be much easier for me to carry up and down the stairs to my flat and store. Something I'm about to test out right now!

I'm just mastering the fold and then I'll take it out for a spin armed with a vid camera..

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Re suspension I was muddled up with this and the Birdy which is fully suspended bother ends :eek:

Regards

Jerry

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Mezzo D9 test ride and review..

Just got back from a quick 15 minute test ride.. (couldn't go much further because of my bad knee and sheer unfitness!) so here's my impressions of the Mezzo D9 and a sort of review..

What a fantastic bike!! I absolutely love it and didn't want to get off it. It just feels so natural and almost like a full-size bike but with much better handling... (bearing in mind this is my first time on anything other than 26" wheels and so I have nothing to compare it with smaller).. It didn't feel strange at at all riding 16" and I didn't feel at all self-conscious as I thought I would. The steering is far more responsive but not "twitchy".. turning corners quickly and going up curbs is much easier than a full size bike and the bike feels altogether a lot nippier than riding a full size bike. Riding on footpaths feels much better. The bike took hardly any space up compared to my 26" and feels a lot safer riding past pedestrians with plenty of space between them and me..this feels much more suitable as a town bike.

As to the bike itself, it's really really nice...faultless. I did initially have some problem with the gears but that was down to my not being used to using gears! I couldn't figure how to shift the gears and was pressing on the down lever to go up a gear like a noob and then wondering if the chain was on wrong lol..I didn't see the little thumb "up lever" hidden away underneath the handlebar grip! Once I figured that out, the gears were super smooth and simple to operate. I hardly noticed them changing..shifting up and down felt instant, no big lag or noise like on my 26"...I put it through all the gears from 1 to 9 and back down and tried a VERY steep hill.. going up in initially in 5th gear and then quickly dropping to first as the incline got steeper...it was a struggle with my bad knee but certainly possible to make it all the way to the top without needing to stand on pedals...that would have been impossible on my 26" bike. Coming down I was in 9th gear and easily able to keep up pedalling so I feel the bike is highly geared enough (for unpowered riding at least).

The saddle is surprisingly comfortable and I don't think I would have any problem riding several miles on it. Braking was excellent, but then the shoes have been well worn in for me! I felt the bike was a lot more comfortable than my 26" and I didn't feel bumps or shakiness to the ride.. which was surprising considering the much smaller and narrow wheels..I would have expected it to be more uncomfortable and sensitive to bumps..but it just felt a lot more comfortable...perhaps I need it to ride it further a field though, the roads around my block are all in good condition..

Now to the fold and carry weight... I folded it up inside the flat prior to taking it downstairs, and I followed the DVD instruction. It was fine..it folded up nice and neat quickly. The only problem I had was locking the fold/front wheel which was a bit confusing and I'm not sure I did it right..however the fold did stay together for carrying. It's surprising how small it looked folded and how easy it was to carry. Unlike my 26" which I really struggle with on the staircase...the Mezzo was like a little cube which I was able to carry close to my chest and just walk around corners without any problem at all. It did feel quite heavy, but certainly nowhere the strain and struggle with the stairs my 26" is. Carrying it on and off a train or lifting in and out of car, would be no strain.

I dragged it along the tiled floor downstairs and it rolled along smoothly on it's little rack wheels like a luggage trolley by pulling the saddle. Unfolding it was super quick...about 10 seconds and I was ready to ride... the catches on the rear and handlebar locked with a reassuringly loud CLUNK and then it was just a matter of pushing the front wheel home into the drop outs and securing the QR lever and adjusting saddle height, unfolding the pedals, and I was off.

Folding it down when I returned back was a different story! That takes some practice and you have to remember the right order. I got it wrong and folded the back first and ended up making a right pigs ear of it. You have to remember the process is done in reverse.. the front folds first and the wheel comes out drop-outs and folds under the frame, then the rear unlocks and folds under, then handlebars unlock and fold down.. I guess it just takes a bit of practice.

All in all I would highly recommend the bike as a very nice folder and excellent ride. Everything about it feels right. Top build quality all round. It feels very sturdy. No creaks, no vibrations or movement anywhere which you get on folding downtube frames. As you pedal you feel all your effort is going into the back wheel and you move along quickly, just like a non-folding road bike.

I fixed up my HTC Desire onto the handlebar and used the Maverick GPS mapping Android app to track my journey route, distance and average speed..(very nice free app btw) which generated a trip stats report.

I shot some video both from my Vado HD mounted on my shoulder..and also from my little MD80 camera mounted onto the bikes handlebar... no idea how these came out but will upload onto YouTube and post a link if they're any good!

I think once it's electrified it will make an excellent e-bike and I'm satisfied I've made a good choice with this bike.

Last edited:

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
So glad to hear you like the Mezzo morphix. I find people who haven’t ridden a decent small wheeled folder often dismiss them as toys. I hear comments such as ‘they’re alright for short journeys, but I wouldn’t want to go far on one’. I’m not sure if this prejudice is just due to their appearance, or whether they’ve had previous experience on one of the many cheap cramped examples about.

Last year I gave my 20” Dahon a new lease of life by fitting a Q85 motor. This summer it has been my most used bike, with regular day trips of 50-70 miles. Other than rough offroad I haven’t found it any less comfortable than my other larger wheeled bikes. Being able to put it in the boot of the car, or not worry about cycle restrictions on trains, opens up many new possibilities for rides.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Last year I gave my 20” Dahon a new lease of life by fitting a Q85 motor. This summer it has been my most used bike, with regular day trips of 50-70 miles. Other than rough offroad I haven’t found it any less comfortable than my other larger wheeled bikes. Being able to put it in the boot of the car, or not worry about cycle restrictions on trains, opens up many new possibilities for rides.
jhruk did you do a front or rear hub? I haven't seen the Q85 motor in rear version and wondered if they actually made one? How do you find the power from the Q85 is it ok compared to other motors? There's quite a weight difference between Q85 and Q100 I see.. 1.6kg v 2.1kg.

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
jhruk did you do a front or rear hub? I haven't seen the Q85 motor in rear version and wondered if they actually made one? How do you find the power from the Q85 is it ok compared to other motors? There's quite a weight difference between Q85 and Q100 I see.. 1.6kg v 2.1kg.
It is a front hub morphix – see here. I’ve never seen the Q85 advertised in a rear version and assume they don’t make one. The attraction for folders is not only the weight but that they make it in a 83mm width, as with the Tongxin, which fits the slimmer folder forks better.

I find power with the supplied 14amp controller quite adequate for me and the gearing of the 328rpm version in a 20” wheel suits me perfectly. I can’t compare it with a Q100, as I haven’t tried one yet, but believe they are of similar design, with the Q100 capable of accepting more power. I would add that I use the motor to augment my pedaling, not replace it. d8veh has lots of experience of the Q100.

The Q85 has performed faultlessly so far and I’ve been so impressed with it that I’m planning on replacing a rather heavy old Crystalyte with a Q100 quite soon.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Video Review - Part One - Unboxing and Unfolding

Here's a quick video I made after delivery of the Mezzo D9 showing the initial unboxing and unfolding..

[video=youtube_share;tlT9582fF8U]http://youtu.be/tlT9582fF8U[/video]

In the second part (still uploading, will post shortly) I take it out for a test ride...

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I'm trying to upload the second part of the video but YouTube is slooooow..says 7 hours to upload 250megs..ha! Might have to do it later tonight when it's quieter or tomorrow.

I've been practising folding and unfolding the Mezzo..it's definitely a lot easier to unfold than it is to fold.. I don't know if that is the same with the Brompton. There is a difficult stage in the fold on the Mezzo where you have to push a thin bar on the front wheel mudguard into a slot on the rear drop-outs frame..it doesn't go in very easy and requires quite a bit of maneuvering.. I have found that it's better not to bother slotting it in and instead I just rest the bar over the derailleur where it seems to fit quite snug with ease. It still keeps the fold together firmly just as well as using the slot.

Another thing.. the Mezzo manual says you're supposed to make sure the chain is in middle gear before you fold. You can fold it without doing that but the chain does get pushed over the horizontal rear drop-out arm/bar so could put oil/wear there I guess. Does the Brompton have the same issue?

I just found a nice silver 8GB USB stick in the Mezzo commuter bag on a neck cord..the seller said I can keep it :D That seller is such a nice person giving me the commuter bag, the lights and now this.. I feel I've been very lucky with this purchase..

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Still not having any joy uploading part 2 of my video the Mezzo D9 test ride...I know you're all dying to see it and see me make a complete ass of myself with the gears lol..

I've made about a dozen upload attempts in the last 48 hours and each time the transfer begins it starts off with a 1% spurt and then grinds to a halt after a few seconds and then the time to upload progressively increases to 11+ days!!

Update: I've just discovered that either YouTube's web uploader script is duff, their webserver is overloaded or it seems that YouTube doesn't like large .avi files and relegates them to a lower upload bandwidth allocation.. I've just tried converting my video to a small .flv format (half the size at 106MB) and uploading it directly from my AVS Video Editing suite and now it's moving along nicely! 23% done.. weird!

Bah, seems I've hit a wall again at 23%. I'm seriously considering ditching YouTube and moving to another video hosting site.. it's just getting insanely slow. There's quite a few alternatives, this page has some reviews..

Last edited:

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Whilst I accept that as director and star of your video creations.. you want to publish your films exactly as you believe they should be seen.

However .......... if you edit the content to just the 'interesting (for the viewer) bits' then the file size / upload times to YouTube will be ok.

Less is more :D

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Whilst I accept that as director and star of your video creations.. you want to publish your films exactly as you believe they should be seen.

However .......... if you edit the content to just the 'interesting (for the viewer) bits' then the file size / upload times to YouTube will be ok.

Less is more :D
That's very true Dave, I've tried to keep them as short as possible and reduced the resolution down to 640x480 but they still seem to come out huge! Well it's moving along now at 33%..progress!

Another possibility is that my ISP is throttling connections to YouTube or large uploads..that seems unlikely though..especially since I'm on an unlimited package with O2.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
I've tried to keep them as short as possible
You have to be harsh.. lol

Bit like the best person to prune your rose bushes is your worst enemy :p

More than 5 mins becomes an epic, lol

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Part two Mezzo D9 Review - test ride

Watch me make a fool of myself with the gears!

[video=youtube_share;yPO4MXMOCjg]http://youtu.be/yPO4MXMOCjg[/video]

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I got a Dahon JetStream P8

I finally got a Dahon JetStream P8! I'm on a roll. Picked it up off eBay for a mere £250, well within my budget this time :D It's 2008 model but looks ok. I'm probably going to convert it and use it as a second bike to my Mezzo..or I might sell the Mezzo..haven't decided yet..with 3 bikes now I got a collection going ;-)

Last edited: