Finally bought a smaller folder for conversion...

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Dahon jetstream for 250££?? That's a deal!!!

If you have enough room, I advise you to keep both bike as both have different purpose:
- Dahon jetstream for smooth ride
- Mezzo for folding ability (although the brompton is better in this class).

The good thing about the Mezzo is that it's lightning fast to unfold (if you don't remove the front wheel) and the rear hub accept 135mm motor directly

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Good idea cwah, I think I will keep both and get rid of my 26" to make space.. I don't think I can go back to a full size bike now after riding the Mezzo and experiencing the advantage of smaller bikes... and with conversion there will be no reason to... I'm really looking forward to trying the JetStream..the last time I rode a suspension bike was a Raleigh Chopper lol.

I know what exactly you mean about the Mezzo unfolding fast, it almost seems to unfold itself doesn't it! The back just swings out and CLUNK locks by magic... there's the shoe laces challenge and here on YouTube from Mezzo. I think it's a really excellent bike that stands well against the Brompton but it seems to have not made much of an impression or dent in the market still dominated by Brompton.

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Dahon jetstream for 250££?? That's a deal!!!

If you have enough room, I advise you to keep both bike as both have different purpose:
- Dahon jetstream for smooth ride
- Mezzo for folding ability (although the brompton is better in this class).

The good thing about the Mezzo is that it's lightning fast to unfold (if you don't remove the front wheel) and the rear hub accept 135mm motor directly
Does the JetStream only take custom parts or can you use off the shelf stuff? The one I have has chrome seat post and handlebar/stem.. maybe that's more practical for a folder than black which shows scratches, but I prefer the look of black and tempted to change. I looked on CH White & Son Dahon spares and was shocked the prices they charge.

D

Deleted member 4366

I finally got a Dahon JetStream P8! I'm on a roll. Picked it up off eBay for a mere £250, well within my budget this time :D It's 2008 model but looks ok. I'm probably going to convert it and use it as a second bike to my Mezzo..or I might sell the Mezzo..haven't decided yet..with 3 bikes now I got a collection going ;-)
I saw that one and I was thinking of bidding on it. Just as well I didn't. Conversion should be a bit more straight forward than the mezzo. You just have to decide where to put the battery.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I saw that one and I was thinking of bidding on it. Just as well I didn't. Conversion should be a bit more straight forward than the mezzo. You just have to decide where to put the battery.
Loool d8v3h, what are you going to do with so many bikes? One more dahon jetstream??? But you already have one!!! Lol

Ps: my crazyness made me buy 3 brompton lol

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Good idea cwah, I think I will keep both and get rid of my 26" to make space.. I don't think I can go back to a full size bike now after riding the Mezzo and experiencing the advantage of smaller bikes... and with conversion there will be no reason to... I'm really looking forward to trying the JetStream..the last time I rode a suspension bike was a Raleigh Chopper lol.

I know what exactly you mean about the Mezzo unfolding fast, it almost seems to unfold itself doesn't it! The back just swings out and CLUNK locks by magic... there's the shoe laces challenge and here on YouTube from Mezzo. I think it's a really excellent bike that stands well against the Brompton but it seems to have not made much of an impression or dent in the market still dominated by Brompton.
You have to test the jetstream and see if you prefer the full size or the folder one. I know I tried the jetstream but the suspension were too stiff for me... Even though it apparently help on cycling efficiency.
I loved much more the nice air suspension of my full size bike at this time...

But now I only have brompton bike lol

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Ps: my crazyness made me buy 3 brompton lol
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:[/QUOTE]

No worries John! I just purchased this one as spare as it is cheaper to buy a second hand bike and get the spare from it rather than buying new spares lol

But I'm still a bit crazy, there are too many bikes with me now lol

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
You have to test the jetstream and see if you prefer the full size or the folder one. I know I tried the jetstream but the suspension were too stiff for me... Even though it apparently help on cycling efficiency.
I loved much more the nice air suspension of my full size bike at this time...

But now I only have brompton bike lol
Full size bike is no longer a practical option for me as I have a bad knee which is not going to get better :( I live in a 2nd floor flat so I can only carry small bikes daily.. I suppose I could keep the 26" for occasional use but it takes up a lot of space in a tiny flat really.. it will fit in a cupboard though if I can find the time to clear all the junk out and make some shelves!

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Stairs are my worst horror.... I can't avoid them and they make my life such a pain!

Without them I'd probably have a 50 kg brompton!!

But for now, my bike is "only" 30 kg :rolleyes:

One day, I'll manage to implement something like this for my brompton:
[video=youtube;bCEglW9e5EQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCEglW9e5EQ&feature=related[/video]

Ok, I can still dream because such a machine cost thousand of pounds lol

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Dave did you notice the other JetStream sell earlier too, in the gunmetal grey? That one made £411 with fierce bidding oddly, yet it looked in worse condition than the one I won. JetStream's seem to retain about 50% of their value second hand...about the same as Bromptons?

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I'm yearning to get back on the Mezzo but it's all wet and horrible outside. I think I actually enjoy riding that bike unpowered! Today I used the commuter bag to carry some packages to the post office just to see how suitable it would be... I was a bit disappointed it doesn't hold as much as I thought it would..I think the thick padded compartment separators inside take up a lot of space, even if you push them to one side as suggested to make one big space.. I think you should struggle to get a full weeks food shopping in there even for one person! On the plus side it is a very rigid and strong bag, so its fine for carrying laptop and papers..I think it's more intended for that purpose, as a briefcase, rather than a pannier replacement..it feels weather proof but not tested it yet. Does feel very comfortable over the shoulder.

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I purchased a Mezzo smaller slot-on rack pack last week for my e-bike kit. £25 on eBay, much cheaper than anywhere else..bargain!

On Tuesday my JetStream P8 arrives, so I'm hoping for good weather to take it out for a quick test ride. Will post an update after it arrives.. I'm still undecided about the conversions, but probably will use a Q100R for the JetStream P8 and do that first.. I'm thinking perhaps a smaller motor from keyde for the Mezzo, but they won't have any rears available until next month, no rush though.

cpg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 24, 2012
Hi Morphix. I am a Mezzo owner and a big fan of these bikes so I will be following your progress with interest. If you haven't already seen the forum posts on bikeforums.net I recommend you take a look, these two topics are probably the most useful.

Mezzo/Ori folding bike upgrades?

The MEZZO Thread

If you have no use for the commuter bag I might be interested in buying it.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Hi Morphix. I am a Mezzo owner and a big fan of these bikes so I will be following your progress with interest. If you haven't already seen the forum posts on bikeforums.net I recommend you take a look, these two topics are probably the most useful.

Mezzo/Ori folding bike upgrades?

The MEZZO Thread

If you have no use for the commuter bag I might be interested in buying it.
Thanks very much for the links I will do some reading:) It's nice to know there's another Mezzo owner on here..I think that makes 3 of us! They're fantastic bikes. I keep admiring mine every time I walk past it :D I'm looking forward to doing a comparison to the JetStream.

I think I will probably be keeping the commuter bag as I discovered the padded walls inside come out to make more space, but I'll see how it goes.. I've seen a good folding bike bag on amazon (£22.50) is next on my shopping list!

cpg

Oct 24, 2012
The Mezzo really is a fantastic piece of engineering and very well detailed. I also own a mountain bike designed by John Whyte, the PRST-1, another engineering masterpiece. In the last few months I have been riding the Mezzo regularly, you get some funny looks, I don't think people outside of London are used to seeing folding bikes, especially ones as unique in appearance as the Mezzo.
My bike came with the Mezzo carry bag which is great for storing the bike in but I am considering the lightweight cover for speed and compactness for situations where the more robust bag is not necessary. I would recommend doing the in-line skate wheel conversion on the rear rack as mentioned in those bikeforum links. The electric conversion will be adding weight to the bike, skate wheels make it easier to wheel around.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Mine is 18 months old but cost only £250 and looks like new almost apart from a bit of wear on the seat post and a scuff to one corner of the rack ..I think using the anodised frame/rack/handlebar on a folder was a very smart move and makes the bike a really durable.

It's surprising to me these bikes aren't more popular and making inroads into the commuter/travel user market...but I guess Brompton has the edge on the fold...what you lose on the fold with Mezzo you gain on the ride though...I think it's a good trade-off, but more important for many is the low cost you can pick up second hand Mezzo's for compared to Bromptons.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
The Mezzo really is a fantastic piece of engineering and very well detailed. I also own a mountain bike designed by John Whyte, the PRST-1, another engineering masterpiece. In the last few months I have been riding the Mezzo regularly, you get some funny looks, I don't think people outside of London are used to seeing folding bikes, especially ones as unique in appearance as the Mezzo.
My bike came with the Mezzo carry bag which is great for storing the bike in but I am considering the lightweight cover for speed and compactness for situations where the more robust bag is not necessary. I would recommend doing the in-line skate wheel conversion on the rear rack as mentioned in those bikeforum links. The electric conversion will be adding weight to the bike, skate wheels make it easier to wheel around.
I got two questions for you cpg... I'm curious to know if you got the D9 or the I4.. and how much your bike weighs? When I saw the D9 advertised new it was 11kg but mine is 12.3kg! Quite a weight difference.

Second question.. I have trouble with the fold down a bit, the last part where you lock the front wheel bar into the little slot thing.. just doesn't seem to want to go in for me unless I really use some force..and even then it doesn't feel very secure and comes out.. I find a better way of folding is to rest that little bar thing on the front wheel, over the derailleur.. just wondered if you encountered the same issue? That's the only slightly negative thing about the fold for me, but maybe it's just my bike or my lack of experience folding it.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
It almost seems a sin to mess with the mezzo.. (that just rolls of the tongue, "don't mess with my mezzo" :D) I'm in two minds about converting it... it's such a nice ride unpowered and the gears are so good I can see myself riding this unpowered if and when my knee ever gets better.. It just seems a sin to hack the gears up.. have to give it some further thought..I think I will delay any decision on converting the Mezzo until next year and focus on the JetStream.

cpg

Oct 24, 2012
The clip that holds the front wheel in place via the mud guard stay needs a simple bit of adjusting. There is an allen head grub screw in either side of the clip, simply tighten or slacken each one by a small amount and check the fit and repeat as necessary. Page 27 of the manual, downloaded from the Mezzo web site, describes how to make the adjustment.
My bike is the I4 and I have no idea what it weighs, I will try and dig out some scales and weigh it but I have added and changed a few things so it is no longer standard.
I have little knowledge of electric bikes, it was a google search for Mezzo that brought me here. I read some posts on here about converting Bromptons and see no reason why the same type of conversion couldn't be carried out on a Mezzo. The great thing about these bikes is they are designed to take standard components so if I were you I would get a front wheel motor, no need to hack the bike about.