Forum tidy-up

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi folks,

The new site is just around the corner now and is just undergoing a few changes before going live. We have a number of 'forums' within Pedelecs and I am looking to tidy up them up a bit.

Are you all happy with the ones that we have?
Should I add or remove any?
Should any be split into several sub-forums?
Do you want more or less etc ?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
In think the technical section could be opened up and possibly add a 'my new bike' section.

-------------------------------------------------------
Posting from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I don't suppose you could remove that "senior" monicker from my name? Once upon a time I held rank but I really don't want to be anything other than basic grade, dog-soldier on here. Simply "member" would do me fine! Some might find that description very apt!

Regards,
Indalo

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
There's lots of posts along the line of "I'm thinking of getting an electric bike. Here's my situation. What do you reckon?" - perhaps a sub-forum for all those kind of posts?

The trouble is, you've then got to have the visitors going to the sub-forum in order to make it worthwhile.

More use (redirected threads?) of the technical forum might help with this.

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Technical is not being used on here like it should only a few posts on there everything is in general :confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think technical was originally intended for permanent items which could be referred to, rather than day to day tech queries.

There will always be confusion on where to post tech queries, I've just answered one in the "Clinics" forum Wisper section where it had been ignored for a day. People also frequently post their tech queries in FAQs, presumably not realising that FAQ online means prepared answers, not a place to type in common questions.

Perhaps renaming to "Technical Questions" may help to guide all tech queries there. The "Electric bike" forum might look a bit bare without them though.

I think with the site's present post traffic everything could go into one forum, not attempting and failing to guide people into certain niches. That way nothing gets missed in the way that member yusstay's question was for 24 hours.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Don't do a Waitrose!
I like it the way it is.
Don't change anything! .... maybe a cycling karaoke section so I can upload ALL my music videos!
:)

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
The one thing I would find useful is a section for self-built 'kit' bikes although I know the majority here seem to use propriety make.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I go with TimidTom. This forum certainly AIN'T broke, so do you REALLY need to fix it?

Alright, the subeditor in me says that some of the sub-forum descriptions ("General discussion about electric bikes, e-bikes, pedelecs, pedal-assist") could be a little more succinct - make it "Your questions about electric bikes". But 99.9%, the forum is sound, and it works.

Allen.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
If we have too many sections, some posts will be lost or go without an answer. flecc has already illustrated this.

I reckon that about 7 sections are ripe for pruning:

FAQs
Technical
Electric Bike Focus Group
Polls Surveys
Dealer Directory
Offers Promotions Competitions
Stolen Electric Bikes / Equipment.

Nearly all of this is covered in the General Section. These additional sub-sections fragment the I formation too much.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Russ

Is there anyway of notifying us by email if a certain "key" word is used in a post (such as Wisper)?

Is there a way of notifying by email manufacturer's/importes when a new query is posted in it's clinic?

Best regards

David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Russ

Is there anyway of notifying us by email if a certain "key" word is used in a post (such as Wisper)?

Is there a way of notifying by email manufacturer's/importes when a new query is posted in it's clinic?

Best regards

David
You'd need to include Wipser if past posts are anything to go by! :D

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
and Whisper, wispa etc

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi Russ

Best regards

David
Don't think there is the functionality to see if a word can trigger a notification, it could be quite a strain on the server. I'll have a look to see if there are any forum mods though.

As for threads or forums, there is 'Thread Tools' and 'Forum Tool's where you can subscribe to a thread/forum and receive either daily or weekly updates.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Can you get the 'Go to first new post' icon on threads to work properly? It hardly ever takes me to the first new post for the thread? Other than that I catch all new posts using the 'New Posts' feature so it doesn't matter which forum thread someone posts into, I catch them all.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
what about a "thanks" button? - Just been on a video forum, asked a question, got my answer and just needed to say thanks and there was a "thanks" button - nice touch and it'll cut out things like ..
Thanks - have a nice day
Thanks - thats been really helpfull
Thanks - thats exactly what I wanted to know
Thanks - I'll try another forum then ...
and not forgetting the Rory Gallagher "Thanks a million" ...
:)