Freego Eagle - 2013 Model

arthur49

Pedelecer
May 27, 2013
Mid Scotland
We bought two of these in June 2013 and after initial glitches we've been delighted with these bikes. Mainly used in conjunction with our motorhome where they are carried on a towbar mounted rack (batteries carried inside).
Anyone interested in more detail on the history of ownership can click here http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/freego-eagle-2013-model.17642/#post-294104
About two years ago battery on my bike went flat. Turned out to be a faulty charger. The batteries were tested by dealer and found to be good - about 80% of original capacity. But no other issues until now.
My bike feels as if its lost power. Feels the same if I use the other battery. It seems like hills are not as easy for the bike than they once were.
Could the motor 'age' and lose torque? Or should I just replace the batteries (16Ah) since they are now over 5 years old? But the batteries take a charge well and appear to retain it for over 20 miles, its just the power appears to have dropped? Or just trade in the bikes?

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
I would say trade them in for updated models as although not looking much different from earlier models, the electrics have been upgraded and the power cells are now from Samsung.

However, be aware that you would loose the throttle only function, as now you have to peddle in order to get motor assistance.

I cannot speak for the motor losing torque, but certainly the battery must have lost much of its capacity, and they are several hundred pounds to replace.

Another thing with upgrading too is a two year warranty which in itself is big bonus.

Reactions: arthur49

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
We bought two of these in June 2013 and after initial glitches we've been delighted with these bikes. Mainly used in conjunction with our motorhome where they are carried on a towbar mounted rack (batteries carried inside).
Anyone interested in more detail on the history of ownership can click here http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/freego-eagle-2013-model.17642/#post-294104
About two years ago battery on my bike went flat. Turned out to be a faulty charger. The batteries were tested by dealer and found to be good - about 80% of original capacity. But no other issues until now.
My bike feels as if its lost power. Feels the same if I use the other battery. It seems like hills are not as easy for the bike than they once were.
Could the motor 'age' and lose torque? Or should I just replace the batteries (16Ah) since they are now over 5 years old? But the batteries take a charge well and appear to retain it for over 20 miles, its just the power appears to have dropped? Or just trade in the bikes?
my 6year old Eagle is the same in terms of torque but still goes well on flat. I recently got a quote from Insat for battery to be recelled at a cost of £285 including collection and del. That was for latest technology in batteries. One poster on here Eaglerider had his done and I think ended up with something like 20AH. So if you like your bikes may be worth a look, although I don't think it would increase value very much.

regards

Reactions: arthur49

arthur49

Pedelecer
May 27, 2013
Mid Scotland
Thank you all, thats really useful input. The re-celling is tempting but with 2 bikes I think I'll trade in for new bikes.
We like the Eagles but our dealer has stopped doing them (Electricbikescotland) so I might look at different makes eg Kalkoff (not Impulse!)
It would be useful if we do trade in to get lighter bikes as we've both hit 70 and the bikes need to be lifted onto a rack!!:(:(:(

arthur49

Pedelecer
May 27, 2013
Mid Scotland
UPDATE
Again thank you all for input. After speaking to our dealer on trade in values etc we are going to re-cell the batteries. In touch with Jimmy ....

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
UPDATE
Again thank you all for input. After speaking to our dealer on trade in values etc we are going to re-cell the batteries. In touch with Jimmy ....
although I have bought a new bike I have kept my 6 yo Eagle as a winter bike so may consider a new battery so would be interested to hear how you get on