Front fork and hub CONFUSION! Help!!

Kuhneye

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2017
London
Hi there guys,

My ebike has M10 solid axle in both front and rear and I can't find a new hub for front! Very confusing.

I've found m9 quick release hubs and 12mm, 15mm, 20mm solid axles.

OLD spacing on my fork is 100mm.

Any advice and suggestions of what to get would be appreciated. I'm looking to build a new wheel for the front and didn't expect this confusion.

D

Deleted member 4366

That looks like a very expensive solution for a bike that has a solid axle. What bike is it for? Disc or rim brake? What size wheel?

D

Deleted member 22539

That looks like a very expensive solution for a bike that has a solid axle. What bike is it for? Disc or rim brake? What size wheel?
And also apart from the above do you have open drop outs ?

Kuhneye

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2017
London
Hey guys,

I have open dropout on fork, M10 nutted axles both front and back, 20" wheels, Disc brakes both wheels hydraulic.

I'm also looking to add on this once I know sizing for new front wheel :

https://nutlock.co/collections/frontpage/products/nutlock-stealth-black-full-set

My ebike is a Winora Radius, Yamaha PW motor.

Just got a new back wheel built and picked up last week. Halo (Disc brake) Spin Doctor 9 rear hub 48 hole, 48 hole Gussett black dog rim 20" + cassette spacer so I can fit 7 speed cassette.

Now to figure out the front wheel confusion.

Basically want a reasonable priced front hub build that will fit M9 or M10 Nutlock security, solid axle and BMX rim that can handle everything I throw at it and last and be modular and easy access to parts. So MTB hub 36 hole for front. The Hope pro 4 front hub mentioned earlier is about the Max limit of my budget too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 22539

Hi
I always you hope hubs
There solid easily rebuildable and you can swap axles if you change your bike or forks
You could definitely do worse

Kuhneye

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2017
London
Can anyone tell me of a nutted solid axle front hub M9/M10 for OLD 100mm + 6 hole disc brake (even Centrelock at a push)?

As mentioned my original hub is 10x100mm (10x108mm) solid nutted axle. I'm guessing my dropout fork is the deciding factor.

I keep coming up empty handed googling.

D

Deleted member 22539

Can anyone tell me of a nutted solid axle front hub M9/M10 for OLD 100mm + 6 hole disc brake (even Centrelock at a push)?

As mentioned my original hub is 10x100mm (10x108mm) solid nutted axle. I'm guessing my dropout fork is the deciding factor.

I keep coming up empty handed googling.
As mentioned you can run a 9mm qr if you don’t want to run a 10mm bolt through
100 mm has been industry standard for many years so is popular
What’s the issue your having?

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
Not sure I understand the issue either, recently I have rebuilt a few older wheels and solid axles are very easy to source, JEJames sold me Weldtite and Cyclo ones for a few £ each

The one thing you *wont* want to do is use Weldtite or similar bearings - buy some decent quality balls from Simply Bearings or similar

Kuhneye

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2017
London
The issue, like I mentioned multiple times: is I do want a solid axle as I want to add wheel nut security nuts with unique key. + I want a solid axle for the terrain and my riding style (I do deliveries on ebike around 200 miles per week simesomes over 300 miles per week) + I was told my fork is designed for M10 axle so putting on M9 QR is doubly counter productive as will be weaker and have some play in it.

Kuhneye

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2017
London
Not sure I understand the issue either, recently I have rebuilt a few older wheels and solid axles are very easy to source, JEJames sold me Weldtite and Cyclo ones for a few £ each

The one thing you *wont* want to do is use Weldtite or similar bearings - buy some decent quality balls from Simply Bearings or similar
So what Hub will fit M10 solid axle that is 100mm OLD, 6 bolt disc?

Kuhneye

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2017
London
Like I said: My fork is "Drop out" so bolt thru type will not work.

I wish my fork was bolt thru as that would be the ideal for me. Have looked for bolt thru fork for 20" wheeled bike but it's not something that seems currently to be made. And I'm on a working budget too.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
swap out the axle, then stick a solid axle in any decent hub body that suits your needs? - wont cost much at all, the hardest bit is probably getting the cones set properly

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
fwiw quick release (hollow) axles are stronger than solid. Not sure if you can get a 10mm front QR though (never looked) and swapping cones might not work as rear wheels run bigger bearings

SJS sell all manner of axles/cones if you are after something really dated / esoteric

Kuhneye

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2017
London
swap out the axle, then stick a solid axle in any decent hub body that suits your needs? - wont cost much at all, the hardest bit is probably getting the cones set properly
I've looked into that but can't find a £40-£70 hub that will fit M10 axle, not even M9 axle.

I thought if getting the bolt thru 9mm hub and putting in 9mm axle but can't find anything.

I was also told that with the way I ride hard and jump up and down things that putting M9 or QR 9mm (5mm) would not be good idea on my fork.

So even more confused.

Kuhneye

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2017
London
fwiw quick release (hollow) axles are stronger than solid. Not sure if you can get a 10mm front QR though (never looked) and swapping cones might not work as rear wheels run bigger bearings

SJS sell all manner of axles/cones if you are after something really dated / esoteric
Again: I want to add "Nutlock" wheel security to solid axle.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
give SJS a call? These chaps have been really helpful to me in the past, my similar issue was about disc brake solid axle Tandem wheels but they helped