Front hub motor damaged wires

scbk

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2019
Highlands
This is on a friends bike - not mine!

He got it about a year ago as a present from his wife, she bought it 2nd hand as an "electric bike". Don't know what was paid but I don't think it was that cheap......
Turns out it is a fairly cheap mountain bike with a front wheel conversion (8fun), and not in great condition either.
He ended up having to buy a new battery for it last year (and he never properly fitted it, the wires were just twisted together :oops:)
I think he only ever did a couple of miles on it now and then. It packed in one day, said he thought the motor was knackered, it just wouldn't work, I kept telling him to drop it round here and I would have a look. Not that I'm an expert, but I will have a go at anything!

Fast forward to recently and I wanted to test a different controller for my own bike, so I got hold of his bike.
Turned his bike on, tried to use it, and got error codes suggesting the hall sensor.

Then I looked down at the motor, it didn't look right, the wire seemed tight against the forks.

Obviously what has happened is the motor has spun round slightly, trapping and cutting the wires right where they go in to the motor - well there's the problem then!

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
When replacing the motor cable don't use grease use some spread from the fridge as lube, it makes for a great frictionless super slippy lube.

Hammer

Just Joined
Apr 19, 2020
if you are keen to give it a try bang some "statorade" in while you are at it
its a thermal lube helps cool the motor