Front light options...

paulg22

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 20, 2017
Shipley
Hi, I've had a Wooshbikes XF08-C for the past three months and it's been a game changer - new job meant a 30 mile round trip to work (or an hour each way by train) and couldn't be happier a pedalling along the canal rather that sitting on a train!

Conscious that the nights are going to start drawing in, I'm thinking about lighting as 2/3 of my trip is along unlit canal towpath - I've got a good dynamo system with a decent front light that's up to the job, but thinking about a backup light - is there something that I can connect to my conversion kit that I can switch on with the Kingmeter display? The likes of bike.discount have eBike front lights - can I plug them in, or is it a wiring up job?

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Hi, I've had a Wooshbikes XF08-C for the past three months and it's been a game changer - new job meant a 30 mile round trip to work (or an hour each way by train) and couldn't be happier a pedalling along the canal rather that sitting on a train!

Conscious that the nights are going to start drawing in, I'm thinking about lighting as 2/3 of my trip is along unlit canal towpath - I've got a good dynamo system with a decent front light that's up to the job, but thinking about a backup light - is there something that I can connect to my conversion kit that I can switch on with the Kingmeter display? The likes of bike.discount have eBike front lights - can I plug them in, or is it a wiring up job?
Not familiar with that controller but if you can find a wiring diagram it should tell you if it has an output. If you wire to the battery itself you need a fuse in case of a problem. If you do this make sure your wiring is nice and secure as battery voltage through those tiny wires can get... smokey. I have lights and horn wired to my kt controller with a switch on the bars and it's a game changer. Could do with a slightly brighter front but it's ok for most situations

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
No spare wires coming out of the Lishui controller and the PCB is covered in grey waterproofing gunge.
Can't find a wiring diagram (I think Lishui only sell to OEMs).

(I was interested because I should like to add a USB phone charging socket, but definitely don't want to mess about in the battery casing).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For lighting you only need to tap in to the battery/controller v+ & v-, get a lamp that is multi voltage 5 - 60 odd volts that has an internal voltage regulator. Add a switch and a fuse on the V+ line job done.
I did it with my Woosh Lishui controller with the Big Bear kit using 20/22awg silicone wire, current draw is low so no wires should be smoking and silicone wire is rated for 400v.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
As its for backup only I think you will do better with a standalone light. Much less complicated. You won't be able to turn it on with the display.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Having tried many configs over the years as a year round commuter come what may. I have qe settled on USB rechargeable backup lights or back up lights thsn can run directly off USB.

All you then need is a small phone style back up battery pack and you can charge your phone, charge your back up light or run it directly as needed

I have a usb powered twin led solar storm front light and a 8.99 battery pack from lidl

I also highly recommend decalthons usb rechargeable light that can be either white or red at flick of switch (only good for being seen though... not actually seeing )

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have a couple of battery powered (AA cells) b+m headlights. The 70 lux one is perfect for the open road. The 70 lux + the 50 lux throws down a beam the is better than that of certain scooters I have owned... I use the 50 lux one around town, the beam is more adapted to paths than roads.

For the trike I will go with a 150 lux wired in light because the speed isn't quite the same. I had briefly, before the bike fell over in the train, a b+m wired in light that has daytime LEDs and a healthy 80 lux with a lovely beam shape and good on the road at 40+ kph.

paulg22

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 20, 2017
Shipley
Thanks all. I was (perhaps naively) wondering whether I could get something that would just plug in and let me use the light switch on the display to turn it on. I've got a decent 18650 torch and picked up a cheap bar mount off Amazon and reckon that will do the trick! Hopefully I shouldn't need it as the Dynamo light's plenty bright enough to see by and pretty reliable.