Gear shift sensor - hmmm..

WillW

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 3, 2019
I've just fitted a gear shift sensor (the generic one) after damaging my chain and a couple of cogs on the cassette after 300 miles with my Bafang BBS01B conversion.
I live in Devon and cycle on Dartmoor, a lot of long steep hills, and apparently my gear shifting is none too subtle...

I've so far only tried it out for a few local miles just to get a feel for it. It certainly works, but I find the lag in motor power to be just a little too long - which doesn't bode well for pedalling up long steep hills! Apparently this lag is reduced if you have a dedicated connector for the sensor, rather than having to connect to the brake connector as I have done.

Is there a different wiring loom with the dedicated sift sensor connector which I could use instead of the one which came with the kit from Woosh, or is that not an option with the BBS01B motor? Which Bafang motor does have this option?

WillW

Oct 3, 2019
The later bbs01 has the connector by the motor
Thanks. When you say by the motor - do you mean a cable coming from the motor?
I can't find anything on or near the motor. I only bought it last month, from Woosh. I'd have thought they'd be sending out the newer motor..?

Ah - thanks for vid. I guess I've been sent an older motor. Thanks Woosh..

Last edited:

WillW

Oct 3, 2019
Mine's just got connectors for battery, LCD display, brakes, throttle & speed sensor.
Nothing else.
I'll have a decent ride tomorrow and see how it goes on the hills with the gear sensor connected to the brake connector. If the lag's too much I guess I'll abandon the idea and work on improving my gear shifting technique ..

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The motor woosh sells is the latest version
When you ordered your gear shift sensor, did you get the version with the Y splitter cable so you can fit with the speed sensor cable or the cheaper option that fits by the display and use only one brake cut off

Personally now never use a shift sensor, but try and be in the right gear at the start of the climb .this took a while to get used too its a different style to riding a push bike

E bike is like an old car with a small engine, keep the motor spinning at higher revs do not let it labour
This also does not stress the motor and battery as much

WillW

Oct 3, 2019
I bought the sensor without any extra cables.
So are you saying I can connect the gear shift sensor to the same connector as the speed sensor? I didn't know that was an option! But if that's the case, and it reduces the lag, I'll buy the extra cable and do that.
Re riding style, yes, I'm getting the knack of matching my cadence to motor speed, instead of trying to keep the speed up in higher gears. But I find I need to be going down through the gears as the climb increases.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
No its an option[expensive] to order direct from bafang a controller/motor with a gear sensor plug at the motor end Have had one from em3 that had this option fitted
The y splitter means you can use 2 brake cut outs check out https://lunacycle.com/ explains options and install
If you really need a gear sensor with less delay you could just replace the controller, but order one with the gear sensor plug

Last edited:

WillW

Oct 3, 2019
Pardon my confusion. When you said the later BBS01 has the connector by the motor, then that Woosh do supply the latest version motor, I assumed I therefore had the connector.
So do I understand this right - the latest motor from Bafang as supplied by Woosh does NOT have the gear sensor plug as standard.
The only way I can connect the gear sensor to my new Bafang motor is via the brake sensor plugs. (I don't use the brake sensors for the brakes.)
I currently have the gear sensor connected to just one brake sensor plug. Is there any advantage in connecting it to both brake sensor plugs via the optional splitter cable? Would this have any effect on the lag ? (Electrics is a bit of a black art to me..)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
gear shift sensor and brake sensors go to the same single pin in the controller. You can check that fact with a multitester.
The input is 'open collector' type, any one of the three sensors will stop the motor.
If the gear sensor is slower to cut the power, then the fault is with the gear sensor triggering circuit.

WillW

Oct 3, 2019
Thanks for your help. As you can tell, I'm new to all this :rolleyes:

It's not that it's slow to cut the power, but that it cuts the power for a little too long

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
That off time is what gear sensor you have purchased is set for this varies by supplier/cost
The y cable is used if you need 2 brake cut outs and the gear sensor
The latest version has a option for a gear sensor But only if you order direct from a supplier/ factory [china]
The spec is like options/ extras on a new car
Woosh sells a version or combination that suits his needs /SPEC
Every supplier orders a different version optional display /set up programme- hardware etc the price can be £100 S more

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Given the bbs01 torque output, a gear sensor isn’t really needed for a well set up derailleur

Have you checked the derailler tension, and indexed the gears correctly?

WillW

Oct 3, 2019
The gears are set up to perfection, something I'm actually pretty good at, and shift faultlessly. The issue lies in my careless down-shifting when going up long steep hills, not wanting to lose momentum. I'm working on it now that I have a better feel for how motor & cadence work together. As I said, the sensor may prove to be more of a hindrance than a help, in which case I'll remove it. I'm aware my technique is what really needs work...

hanni1110

Just Joined
May 17, 2020
I've got my BBS01b on Dec.2019 and this have one HIGO-Connector for the gear sensor direct under the cableloom. I've installed the gear sensor, which from china came too. The power cut off is a bit long but acceptable. Maybe you can try this "europe made" product from https://gearsensor.com.

WillW

Oct 3, 2019
I have yet to give the sensor a serious trial. I installed it yesterday and just cycled a few flat miles to test it. I'll take the bike out today for a long ride with hills, which will give me a better idea of whether or not it will be useful. I bought it as a bit of a knee jerk reaction to seeing the state of my chain and cassette, which has given me a pointer to my sometimes careless shifting on the long hills. I actually do let off the power when shifting now - it just took me a while to get the hang of how a powered bike wants to be ridden. I've ridden motor bikes for years. E-biking's a whole other thing of course..
Yes I saw the other gear sensor thanks. I went for the generic one on price and Amazon next-day delivery.

WillW

Oct 3, 2019
Well, 25 hilly miles round the lanes of Devon today has given the gear sensor a decent trial run. A real difference in gear shifting, smooth and quiet. The over long delay in resuming motor power is really only an issue, as expected, on long inclines. There is a frustrating loss of momentum, but this is reduced a little by sticking to the lower gears from the outset - not something I'm used to yet. Devon hills can be deceptive - what appears to be an apparently gentle incline can turn into a long and winding steep climb, so one inevitably needs to shift down a few times on the way up.
That said, my technique is definitely improving, and instead of pounding away harder than I need to on the pedals, I'm winding it down and finding the sweet spot where the motor is working at max efficiency for minimum leg effort.
I fitted the sensor to preserve the chain & cassette from my clumsy shifting, so I'll leave it in place at least while I improve my riding accordingly.
Incidentally, I'm well impressed by the battery range. It's the 36v 250w Bafang with 13.5 ah battery, and a 30 mile round trip up onto Dartmoor - a mighty hilly ride - uses about 3/4 of the battery. I use minimum assist whenever I can, but level 4 with constant throttle on the long hills (including a three mile climb just to get up onto the moor). I'm pretty sure on more forgiving terrain I'd get at least 50 miles per charge.
The kit so far has exceeded my expectations.

WillW

Oct 3, 2019
Pretty much anywhere. Be prepared for hills! Ordnance survey map OL28 covers most of it. There are two main routes across the moor, crossing at Two Bridges, but many many smaller lanes and tracks both on the high moor and around the edges.