Gearing and motor

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Mine will cut out but apart from the sound going I can't feel anything it's so smooth.

That's how it should be, all three of my Bosch bikes were like that. The power tapering off, if that's not happening something is amiss.
When I go for a bike ride with my youngest daughter, she rides the 'considerably faster' bike. Even so, she's sometimes so busy fannying around, trying to fathom out which gear and power assistance level she's in, that she gets left behind, or drops off the bike to a halt.

I keep telling her "Just use the effin throttle!" She says "It goes too fast!".. I suppose it's too hard for her to work out how to use things in moderation. :p

Getting some bikes to give their best seems to be an art.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you need to have a go on a bosch bike as even with a dongle you still have to put a lot of effort in to get to 30mph.

the more you put in the less it will assist me and at over 30mph yes the motor will not cut out and nuke the batt because of the speed but i still have to make the peddles go round.

its why some like small sprockets and some want bigger ones ;)

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
you need to have a go on a bosch bike as even with a dongle you still have to put a lot of effort in.

its why some like small sprockets and some want bigger ones ;)
Both my bikes (one rear, and one front motored) are relatively cheap affairs. Which I'm both very happy with. :)

The more I read, the more I hear, the more I get educated about other types of ebike setup. The more convinced I am that I wouldn't particularly get on too well with them. I'm going to stick with my tried and tested formula of being happy with what works well for me. :p

But hey, it's horses for courses and each to their own. I appreciate that. :)

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Does it happen if you try it with the power off? What I mean is, as a non assisted bike, with the smallest rear cog, does it still take high revolutions of the pedals to do more than 16 kph? I'm just trying to establish if there is a problem in the drive system.

• Useful

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my bike is slower than a washing machine lol :(

Birger Bulukin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 5, 2016
Nittedal, Norway
Have you checked that correct wheel size has been set in the computer? If it is set to 29 inches and you wheels are 26 inches you lose around 10 percent speed. Reducing to 23 from 26 in. the computer will give you more than 10 percent more speed. But on the cost of wrong display indication.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Have you checked that correct wheel size has been set in the computer? If it is set to 29 inches and you wheels are 26 inches you lose around 10 percent speed. Reducing to 23 from 26 in. the computer will give you more than 10 percent more speed. But on the cost of wrong display indication.
That's not a user accessible option on a Bosch bike.

Karen HB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 26, 2016
Suffolk
Hmm, I think there may be a problem after reading these latest replies. I've not tried the top two settings (sport or turbo) but I've tried the tour setting and still get a definite feel of cut out.
I've called a reasonably nearby shop who are willing to check it over for me and change the front sprocket if necessary, but first I am going to take it out again on Friday (when I'm off work) to check the gear changing and also the higher settings and without assist at all as suggested. If it's still the same I'll take it to the shop on Saturday.
My other issue is they didn't send me the key for the battery! I'm in discussion with the shop the bike came from. They sent me a replacement ABUS key but it doesn't fit!
The motto of this story is don't spend a load of dosh on something on line! You live and learn, but I'm still hoping to get this sorted.

• Informative

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Well I hope the OP solves her problem but as Leigh Ping has said for road running a front or rear hub with a throttle maybe a wiser choice for anyone thinking of buying in the near future.

Im no expert but I've watched dozens of videos and have noticed lots of clunking on crank drive motors particularly when going up hills, maybe STEVEUKLSRA can throw some light how his Bafang bikes perform on the road?

Going back to the OPs original post, she has to get the bike to an authorized service centre, which I believe she is. I hope all goes well for Karen and will be following this thread with interest.

The video maybe of future interest.

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Karen, I've re read your original post and now think that your problem is the simple fact you haven't been in the right gears for road use. I'm sure my bike would be behaving the same as yours if I was in one of the bigger rear cogs and trying to ride fast on the road? Without having a demo ride, no one has been able to show you the way to ride these bikes. My suggestion would be when you next try it, put it in the 3rd smallest rear cog and the top level of assistance. Spend some time getting used to changing the gears up and down and using the different power settings. I don't think you'll need to take the bike to shop?

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
With bafang 250w cd hub 42t crank, 7 speed on the back never see the need to move it out of 2nd and 3rd gear.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Andy88 I am guessing that is a 26" wheel? With my 28" wheel and big tyres I am mostly in 3rd and 4th.

I am still convinced that the Yamaha motor is a much better option than the Bosch for road use. It has normal cogs (sometimes 2 of them) on the front. I have noticed here in town people zipping around on Bosch powered bikes at very low cadences. That tells me the tiny front cog is there to stop the motor overheating when riders don't put enough effort into pedalling.

• Informative

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
also mostly using throttle I prefer 26 inch wheels easier to get feet on d ground. Im with you in Yamaha

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Im no expert but I've watched dozens of videos and have noticed lots of clunking on crank drive motors particularly when going up hills, maybe STEVEUKLSRA can throw some light how his Bafang bikes perform on the road?
I don't do any road-riding Andy...and none of our BBS motors clank or make undue noises in any situations. The closest I get to roads is disused railway lines, which can be seen as the "motorways" to get out into the hills. The wind noise tends to blank out the very faint whistle from the motor and you have to listen very carefully to realise there's a powerplant under you:)

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
I don't do any road-riding Andy...and none of our BBS motors clank or make undue noises in any situations. The closest I get to roads is disused railway lines, which can be seen as the "motorways" to get out into the hills. The wind noise tends to blank out the very faint whistle from the motor and you have to listen very carefully to realise there's a powerplant under you:)
Hi Steve, that franks my thoughts and feedback, personally I wouldn't use the bosch nor probably yamaha or shimano.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Have you ridden a bike with these systems?

With regard to the thread subject I think we need to be patient, there's a lot of second guessing going on here.
No Artstu, I haven't but I wouldn't buy any machine that doesn't support a throttle and is propietarily inhibited but others may.

I can however see and ascertain from countless videos that they seem to be suited to more challenging terrain.

From the OP post, I agree, we need to wait for the outcome of the result from the shop that she takes it to.

In the meantime there are some valuable points in these threads for owners and prospective purchasers of a bosch system.

• Agree

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
That's not a user accessible option on a Bosch bike.
We've been here before;)...there is a function in "My Bike" on the Nyon & Intuvia to alter your wheel size by +/-5%, so if you have it factory set at 27.5 you are able to knock 5% off that to bring it close to 26" (26.125").

...and good luck with getting to the bottom of your problem Karen:)

Related Articles

Advertisers