"Get me Home" Battery

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
In 2015 a mad woman with 2 children onboard texting her friends rear-ended me while I was stationary at traffic lights
FIFY

What about a recumbent ?.

Reactions: guerney

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
Sorry to interrupt but I thought that I would provide an update on my plans :)

Lots of helpful advice, so thanks for that, which made me decide to go down the simplest route which was to order a 12.5ah Hailong from pswpower which will sit on top of my rear luggage rack and will be a straight swap with my existing 15ah Hailong. Cost of £138 isn't too bad and it may be that I won't ever use it that much, but nice to have if needed.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Broken? Fractured? Misaligned and causing continuing inflammation because compression is pressuring nerves thereby causing pain? Note medical disclaimer on this video. Consult medical professionals or it could get worse.

Lenny -thanks for your concern. I had a quick look at that video, I'll download it and study in depth. I'm willing to have a go at anything, although I would draw the line at sticking crystals up my rear end!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
No room in my garage for a trike
@matthewslack recently got a folding recumbent trike, which still might be too large? If you experience less pain cycling upright, perhaps a recumbent seat would need firm padding, to support your back's lumbar region?

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
@matthewslack recently got a folding recumbent trike, which still might be too large? If you experience less pain cycling upright, perhaps a recumbent seat would need firm padding, to support your back's lumbar region?

Not a lot of room in here.....

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Swap out a car for a Volvo estate? A recumbent recumbent trike would fit in a small van.
Ahh, but the Citroen is my son's. I live in a grandad/granny flat in his house. The Leaf is mine and that ain't going anywhere. There is so much crap in this garage I really couldn't fit anything else. Useless tins of paint over 10 years old, mowers, 3 other bikes, dehumidifiers, portable aircons, my chest of drawers full of tools, every inch has "stuff", can only just fit the cars. My son's wife of Chinese descent, is...shall we say, a barely functioning driver. After we cleared a lot of stuff out and managed to get the cars in, I overheard her say to my son "will I have to turn the wheel to get the car out?" My son sort of looked at her and said condescendingly "yes you will have to turn the wheel", and exasperatedly she said" why do you have to make things so difficult?"
Female asian drivers are by far the world's worst.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Ahh, but the Citroen is my son's. I live in a grandad/granny flat in his house. The Leaf is mine and that ain't going anywhere. There is so much crap in this garage I really couldn't fit anything else. Useless tins of paint over 10 years old, mowers, 3 other bikes, dehumidifiers, portable aircons, my chest of drawers full of tools, every inch has "stuff", can only just fit the cars. My son's wife of Chinese descent, is...shall we say, a barely functioning driver. After we cleared a lot of stuff out and managed to get the cars in, I overheard her say to my son "will I have to turn the wheel to get the car out?" My son sort of looked at her and said condescendingly "yes you will have to turn the wheel", and exasperatedly she said" why do you have to make things so difficult?"
Female asian drivers are by far the world's worst.
Could you make available floor area of 84 × 64 cm, if you stood it folded inside a box on it's end? I give up. You have no room in your garage, what you need is a shed? Someone I know is buying a shipping container for his "World's fastest" MV Agusta superbike, after the last one was stolen from his driveway. Insurance wouldn't pay out because it wasn't locked - he'd only popped into the house for a couple of minutes, he said.

(Not this one)

Last edited:

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Could you make available floor area of 84 × 64 cm, if you stood it folded inside a box on it's end? I give up. You have no room in your garage, what you need is a shed? Someone I know is buying a shipping container for his "World's fastest" MV Agusta superbike, after the last one was stolen from his driveway. Insurance wouldn't pay out because it wasn't locked - he'd only popped into the house for a couple of minutes, he said.

(Not this one)

Not even that I'm afraid. I have downsized so many times now. When we emigrated, everything just fitted inside a 40ft container. 1/2 of that was stolen by aussie dockers, so that was downsize no 1. Then we moved from a large property in Perth with lots of outbuildings to a villa in town, my rule of thumb, if I hadn't used it in the last 5 years, then out it went - 30 years of stuff. Then the move back to the UK, another cull, this time, if it hadn't been used in the last 2 years, then I tossed it. We moved to a bungalow here with a massive garage, and started accumulationg again. Then we found out my little granddaughter was autistic and her dad asked for our help. His wife is basically a waste of space, career lawyer without a smidgin of how to look after her daughter, so we built an extension on their house and moved in - more downsizing, this time the rule was in the last year or toss it. So we are now reduced to 2 1/2 rooms, lounge, bedroom and wet room. The garage is my final bastion of what is left of my workshop, but I have to shift the cars to do anything meaningful.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Not even that I'm afraid.
Did you say you're in Bournemouth? Throw some gear into self-storage? Some here mentioned storing their electric bikes:

Also your garage roof isn't flat - does it have a loft you could utilise for garage items, freeing up space for a folding recumbent trike?

Last edited:

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Did you say you're in Bournemouth? Throw some gear into self-storage? Some here mentioned storing their electric bikes:

That's not such a bad idea. Thanks.
Also your garage roof isn't flat - does it have a loft you could utilise for garage items, freeing up space for a folding recumbent trike?
You can't see from the 'photos but that is choc-a-block too!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You can't see from the 'photos but that is choc-a-block too!
There's nothing else for it: self-storage or apply for planning permission for a garage roof raise. Or build a shed with a big concrete anchoring point inside to lock the bikes/trikes to. Roof raising does increase property value...

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Switched to this saddle about 6 months ago, game changer. I have finally found the Holy Grail of comfortable saddles after over a decade and countless saddles including Brooks leather ones. Not cheap ( I paid about £40 from Amazon) but worth every penny. I can sit on this all day long, bloody brilliant

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Switched to this saddle about 6 months ago, game changer. I have finally found the Holy Grail of comfortable saddles after over a decade and countless saddles including Brooks leather ones. Not cheap ( I paid about £40 from Amazon) but worth every penny. I can sit on this all day long, bloody brilliant

I'm very tempted to try one of those, will look out for a good price. I wonder if those are comfy for very long periods, because as @AndyBike said recently on a thread somewhere, because your weight is mostly on your bones and not muscle? Being narrow, they're not antagonising nerves in muscle?

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I'm very tempted to try one of those, will look out for a good price. I wonder if those are comfy for very long periods, because as @AndyBike said recently on a thread somewhere, because your weight is mostly on your bones and not muscle? Being narrow, they're not antagonising nerves in muscle?
They do 3 types, athletic (narrow), relaxed (wide)and moderate (the one I have - medium width) which are suited to different riding positions (45, 60 and 90 degree back angle). I think what makes the difference with this saddle is the Royal Gel which is top quality and the cutaway channel. Your crown jewels have room to sit nicely in the channel and your sit bones are perched on the Gel, there's also some shock absorbing elastomer springs underneath.

They also do a 30 day 'comfort guarantee', if you don't get on with it , return free of charge for a full refund

Rode this saddle on a 6 day Belgium tour in March, 60-70 miles every day, no pain, no numb bum, night and day compared to my previous saddles...just bloody annoyed with myself I didn't find it sooner !

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
I have literally spent more on saddles and seat posts than on my bike over the years. Must be getting on for close to £1000 now. @egroover - Your enthusiastic support for this tempts me to try yet another....

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Lenny -thanks for your concern. I had a quick look at that video, I'll download it and study in depth. I'm willing to have a go at anything, although I would draw the line at sticking crystals up my rear end!
Your GP can refer you to a physiotherapist or consultant as appropriate.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
GP? what GP? Ours are missing in inaction. 8 weeks for a telephone consultation if you're lucky, 12 weeks for in person.
Since the accident I've been shipped all over the country to various NHS and private clinics, MRI's two of them, one CAT scan, numerous x-rays and in the end they all said I'll have to live with it as best I can.
As I said I'll try anything now to relieve some of the pain, best I've found so far are "treated" Anzac biscuits if you get my drift.
A friend of mine with severe arthritis in his hands asked me to help him with a dripping tap, so I went along and sorted it for him. He gave me a cup of tea and offered a biscuit his son had stashed away in a cupboard cooked up by a mate. As my friend and I sat drinking tea his son came in and asked his dad if he'd been at the cookie jar, and he saw me eating my second one and said Tony you'd best get home quick. I felt ok until I sat in my easy chair and I couldn't feel my legs and arms, all the little aches and pains accumulated over a long lifetime just melted away, I felt like a kid again not an ache or niggle anywhere. That bliss lasted about an hour or two and then I got the severe munchies. The last time I had mull was in 1970 at a Def Leppard concert at Bournemouth Town hall......

• :D
Reactions: Bikes4two