Goes E-bike Cross Country

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The high incidence of bike theft means many want to bring bikes indoors both at home and work. Folding increases the practicality of that in a variety of ways, utilising short and wide spaces as well as long and narrow ones. Member cwah has had this requirement, as have many other members.

And it's not only for anti-theft reasons that storing indoors is necessary. Nearly one third of people in Britain are single and many of them live in flats or maisonettes with no outside space or storage. For that very large minority, indoors is the only practical bike storage option.

Reactions: Arbol

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
My main bike is a folding 26 inch MTB with full suspension. It's a Haro DX, converted. They don't make them any more. There's quite a few folding MTBs available; the Haro has a few advantages that I like, such as a way to hold the folded bike in the folded condition.

The problem it solves, is that I want to drive 100km into the middle of England, get the bike out of the car, and take it round a geocaching circuit, mostly off-road. I could use a bike carrier, but then I have to spend a few minutes putting the bike carrier on and again removing it. And I can't open the back of the Freelander with the bike carrier in place. Also, some parking places have such a severe height restriction that I couldn't get the Freelander in there until I take the bike down. Also, a bike on the outside of a car is more vulnerable to being stolen, than one locked inside the car. So I like having the bike inside the car. I can get it folded and in the car in about a minute.

The weight is 58 pounds, excluding batteries.. Some of that extra weight is the super-thick tires, tubes and inserts that make punctures for me almost non-existent.

The batteries go in a pannier.

On Ebay, look for "folding bike 26", you'll see quite a few.

Reactions: Arbol

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
The high incidence of bike theft means many want to bring bikes indoors both at home and work. Folding increases the practicality of that in a variety of ways, utilising short and wide spaces as well as long and narrow ones. Member cwah has had this requirement, as have many other members.

And it's not only for anti-theft reasons that storing indoors is necessary. Nearly one third of people in Britain are single and many of them live in flats or maisonettes with no outside space or storage. For that very large minority, indoors is the only practical bike storage option.
In Barcelona, 99.9% of the population lives in apartments. Only people living on the outskirts own houses.

In London, despite houses being famous in all movies based in London, I would say most people live in apartments. Only if you move really outside Central London, you start to find the famous English streets full of houses one next to the other.

In Germany, it is the same, the city centers are mostly apartment buildings based. Houses are to be found elsewhere.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
If perhaps I was having a weekend away or going on holiday, then a folding MTB would appeal in respect of it taking up a relatively small space for transport, but the added weight and hassle of the full suspension doesn't appeal.

I'm afraid that I don't even see the point of putting low quality suspension components on any MTB, and even more so on a full suspension bike. The Suntours on it are pretty pants, and I couldn't see what brand or model that the rear shock was. On an MTB, it's better to have no suspension, than low quality suspension

Out of interest, how much does this bike weigh?

Last edited: