going over the 15.5 cut off point

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Me too
Lol
:)
I've never passed a cycling proficiency test. I just got on a bike in 1946 and rode off, no learning, balance just seemed to come naturally on two wheels. Did the same with a motorcycle in 1950, got on, kick started and rode away.

The weird thing is that I have a lousy sense of balance on my feet, I can't balance on one leg for more than a second. Should've been born with wheels instead of legs.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I've never passed a cycling proficiency test. I just got on a bike in 1946 and rode off, no learning, balance just seemed to come naturally on two wheels. Did the same with a motorcycle in 1950, got on, kick started and rode away.
I learned to ride a bike in a couple of hours
I was put at the top of a field and told to get on with it
A couple of hours later I was riding around the village on the road :)
Like you it seemed to come naturally.

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
My new Motus Crossbar motor cuts out varianly between 19mph and 22.5mph at its tastes. Given the peedo reads about 10% high I find it very acceptable. On the odd occasion it doesn't seem to have cut out at all and that is always going downhill with light oral pressure. It obviously isn't an exact tool so what are the legal implications?

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
The only time I have a chance of staying with or even passing decent roadies is on steep hills, or if there is a very strong head wind. Any other conditions and they breeze past me too.

I do wonder though if there might be something wrong with your bike. If your on the flat and have a bit of a tail wind you should hardly even notice when you have gone over the cut off and are powering the bike totally on your own. It should not feel like all of a sudden your pedalling through treacle.

Can you either have a test ride on another make of ebike from your LBS, or have a ride on one of your friends bikes to see if they are the same.

If there is no difference then you need to work on your fitness, ridding two or three times a week and putting in some effort makes a massive difference in just a couple of months.

The improvements are gradual and you wont notice day to day, but if you ride with someone at the start and then ride with them again a couple of months later they will see massive improvements in your fitness.
I agree entirely. 80% my Bosch Active Line is physically off but even I ECP mode on the flat and with no head wind I wouldn't notice the difference on or off. Previous to buying the Motus I was riding a cheap and heavy MTB and was shocked just how free rolling the Motus was compared to it with the motor off. So shocked if wondered if I had wasted money buying it. However I bought it to overcome my balance and launch problems so it certainly wasn't wasted money. With the motor offI feel only the slightest of drag in high years but notice nothing at all in the lower gears. I use the motor so little I have estimated projected mileage at about 110 miles with the basic 300watt battery and I'm certainly no lightweight. My primary use is for pleasurable exercise hence the little use of the motor but even if I were using it for expedient transport and use the motor to it's full I would expect to get a minimum of 50 miles out of it. Why, why are the roads not full of these bikes as they really are a revelation. I just wish I could have got this very bike 25 years ago! Just think what the next 25 years will bring!!!! Pity I probably won't be around to see such developments but my grandsons are already debating which of them gets my ebike!!!! Not my car!!!

Reactions: rexel1 and Nev

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
That seems strange...I adjusted the calibration on my speedo to match the trip distances on the Strava app. The Bosch Motor gently reduces the assist on my Motus Grand Tour from 15.5mph to 16.5mph.

I was going to ask if you were set to KPH, but thought better of it.

How do you know your speedo is inaccurate? Seems like you got a lucky break with such a high speed cut off!

Last edited:

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Reading other posts I'm far from the only one who has the same benefits. The current mini display cannot be adjusted by the user. It has to go to the dealer and have the software/firmware adjusted. I suspected it was reading high on speed (the odometer seems ok) compared to my other bike so got my son in law to do a steady 15mph in his car and my readout was 17mph? At 20mph my readout was 23mph. This concurs with our local radar roadside speed displays. 10% error is acceptable to me especially when you know it's reading 10% high. As I said there are quite a few others getting higher cut off speeds with this system so I suppose they are simply default settings and no calibration takes place at the factory or the dealer on predelivety service. Of course I'm more than happy to accept things the way they are but if it were set too low I would request they reset/calibrate it on my first free service.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My new Motus Crossbar motor cuts out varianly between 19mph and 22.5mph at its tastes. Given the peedo reads about 10% high I find it very acceptable. On the odd occasion it doesn't seem to have cut out at all and that is always going downhill with light oral pressure. It obviously isn't an exact tool so what are the legal implications?
None for you - unless you are caught speeding. Things are a bit different for kits where the tolerance is 5% but haven't heard of a court case yet.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Hello! I only cycle on footpaths and roads with my Motus Grand Tour. On the flat with no wind I am usually running at 16 to 18mph, with a little wind behind me I can be cruising at 20. When there's a strong headwind I can forget going above the 15.5mph!

Now this may make me look like superman, but my journeys are only 4 mile commutes.

I have not ridden other e bikes so I cannot compare , I can say there is no feeling of cut off once I pass the 15.5mph speed limit, only a feeling of surprise when I look at my speedo to see I'm going 18mph with no assistance from the motor (Bosch Active Line Plus)!
Possibly because that motor (if 3rd gen) is zero resist and 1:1 - so it doesn't impede your pedalling at all when it cuts off (or isn't on). It's the main reason (along with its quietness) it's the best motor for a tourer that doesn't need to handle really steep hills.

On a flat tarmacced cycle route with hybrid tyres and a following wind, I'm not surprised you can get above 30km/h unassisted.

Incidentally - assuming you only need a light assist and you're of average weight, the Bosch range calculator gives almost 200km of range at 25km/h on good cycle paths with no wind and a 500 battery, so you can safely stretch those 4 miles a little :)

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveB1262

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
Possibly because that motor (if 3rd gen) is zero resist and 1:1 - so it doesn't impede your pedalling at all when it cuts off (or isn't on). It's the main reason (along with its quietness) it's the best motor for a tourer that doesn't need to handle really steep hills.

On a flat tarmacced cycle route with hybrid tyres and a following wind, I'm not surprised you can get above 30km/h unassisted.

Incidentally - assuming you only need a light assist and you're of average weight, the Bosch range calculator gives almost 200km of range at 25km/h on good cycle paths with no wind and a 500 battery, so you can safely stretch those 4 miles a little :)
Unfortunately I often have wind (!) to contend with and only a 400 battery, but easily get over 70 miles per charge. You're right about how quiet this motor is, it's very rarely that I ever hear it .

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I sometimes feel the motor cut out and get the 'wading through treacle' feeling but only for about one or two seconds. I don't really know why that is and it doesn't happen every time the motor cuts out but on the odd occassion it does happen it is no hinderance to progress because, as I said, it doesn't last more than a couple of seconds.