Got a eZee Sprint 7 - it is fantastic

zammo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 18, 2007
Hello,

This morning the nice delivery man from 50 Cycles dropped of my new Ezee Sprint 7, and after tightening, adjusting and getting used to it I took it for a trip through Hyde park to work.

It's absolutely fantastic, the power is great, not too much, not too little. I wish there was *slightly* more assisted top end (speed, not power) but other than that it's a revelation. I had the whole team at work have a go on it and they all seemed to be very impressed and amazed.

The build quality looks good, the bike itself is not too heavy (without the battery) and the ride is very comfortable. There are no rattles or jitters from the bike while riding and after adjusting the handlebars for the maximum sit-up-and-beg position it's a very stately feeling to waft quietly along. The front brake has some *slight* judder, but I've had that before on other bikes and it's barely noticeable.

I had a few odd starts where giving it too much electric throttle would make the motor (or controller) cut out. This meant I'd have to toggle the key to off then on again and it'd work normally until I did it again - I expect it's a "wearing-in" issue and will go away on it's own. Fingers crossed.

I'll post some pictures of it when I can and based on one short (3 mile) ride I'd recommend it to anybody; young or old. It really is amazing, and I can now empathise with the enthusiasm on this site.

Last edited:

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Well done
zammo people dont know what their missing electric bikes are great fun wellcome to the CLUB
Most hills will never be a problem again:D thats Brill;) Hope you will have many happy years on your ezee sprint.NIGEL.

zammo

Jan 18, 2007
about cut-out

So... the cutting-out when applying power from standstill continues and happened four times on the way home... I *think* it's an overload issue. I apply the throttle, I get some traction from the motor and then it cuts out. The red light on the key/controller goes out.

I turn the key to off then on again, apply the throttle (slower this time) and it goes without a problem. Helping the motor with some pedalling from a standing start also stops it happening.

Since the red light on the key/controller box goes out I am assuming it's a thermal/current overload protection kicking in.

I am optimistic that it will 'wear' itself in and stop doing it as the circuit gets used to having current down it. So my three questions are:

• Has anybody else experienced this?
  • Do you think this might this cure itself on its own?
  • If it doesn't get better, what are my options on getting it fixed?

Update The next day
It's doing it consistently now. To be clear: whenever I pull away without pedalling and open the throttle over half, it cuts out.

I can prevent it happening by e a s i n g the throttle on slowly and letting the bike get up to speed before opening the throttle over half. I noticed that when cut out the controller light blinks in the following way:

Blink X 8 times, Pause for 5 seconds, repeat​

I'll call Jim at 50 Cycles now.

Last edited:

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
So... the cutting-out when applying power from standstill continues and happened four times on the way home... I *think* it's an overload issue. I apply the throttle, I get some traction from the motor and then it cuts out. The red light on the key/controller goes out.

I turn the key to off then on again, apply the throttle (slower this time) and it goes without a problem. Helping the motor with some pedalling from a standing start also stops it happening.

Since the red light on the key/controller box goes out I am assuming it's a thermal/current overload protection kicking in.

I am optimistic that it will 'wear' itself in and stop doing it as the circuit gets used to having current down it. So my three questions are:

• Has anybody else experienced this?
  • Do you think this might this cure itself on its own?
  • If it doesn't get better, what are my options on getting it fixed?
Hi Zammo, the person to ask is 50cycles very own mechanic, Jim, on 01509 266 165.

zammo

Jan 18, 2007
thanks

Tim,

Thanks - I thought I'd ask here first in case the issue was a non-problem and would go away within a day or so.

I'll call Jim tomorrow if it happens tomorrow.

Last edited:

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Hi, I'd be interested in the reply as I have also experienced cut out on the Sprint, so has my husband. It seems to be when going up a steep hill, or when approaching a junction on e-bike, breaking at junction and then setting off almost immediately, it seems to cut out, but does resolve without having to turn the key, i.e. after waiting a few seconds. It is very disconcerting, I too am hoping it will settle down.

regards
Jeanette

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This can happen when the current drain is at it's maximum, corresponding to about 8 to 9 mph on a Sprint, when using the Li-ion battery. It's caused by the voltage dropping below the protection point for the battery, so can be more common when the weather is cold, lowering battery efficiency.

A steep climb and pulling away on the motor are both points of high current drain as in Jeanette's case, tiring the battery enough to drop the voltage. As Zammo remarks, helping by pedalling reduces it's occurrence since that shares the load and reduces the current the motor drains, so dropping the voltage less. The eZee motors are very powerful, but of course that means they can make high demands on the battery at times.

I get the same on the Torq in similar conditions, although the higher motor gearing on that means it occurs at about 12 mph and have found that having clean battery connections is important, since extra resistance at that point can impede the current transfer.

Although the NiMh batteries have somewhat lower efficiency, they compensate by not suffering this type of voltage drop cutout, so I use an NiMh for difficult conditions like steep hill runs in cold winter weather.

Last edited:
Reactions: Martin3520

Jason

Jan 21, 2007
Oh dear..

I've been very close to buying a Torq but some of the comments in this forum suggest that more development is in order. Motors cutting out, lithium batteries self igniting ('they shouldn't be charged indoors'!!), and rapid dwindling of battery reserves. Would I be better cycling to work 2 days a week, and using a Honda moped 3 days a week to reduce my 'carbon footprint' with some reliability?? Someone convince me otherwise...please!

Jason

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Don't worry Jason!

The torq is a great bike and I wouldn't be without mine.

The Torq, like all eZee bikes uses a Magnesium based Li-ion battery which is completely safe. The older cobalt based ones are those guilty of self ignition in some cases, and eZee have refused to use them. I keep and charge two eZee Li-ions indoors in perfect safety.

There's no motor cut-out, the Li-ion battery can be momentarily stopped by a safety cutout in high stress conditions, but this is normally only suffered in very hilly areas as where I live. If you think that's likely to be the case in your area, 50cycles can supply the bike with an NiMh battery instead which completely eliminates any chance of that.

In areas where the hills are moderate, hundreds of owners have never experienced a cutout and don't understand the talk about it by the very few who are affected.

Regarding the Honda moped, I gave up my Honda CB500R for e-bikes and don't miss the hassle of MOTs, tax, insurance, speed limits and endless laws one bit. E-biking is real freedom.

Last edited:

zammo

Jan 18, 2007
I've been very close to buying a Torq but some of the comments in this forum suggest that more development is in order. Motors cutting out, lithium batteries self igniting ('they shouldn't be charged indoors'!!), and rapid dwindling of battery reserves. Would I be better cycling to work 2 days a week, and using a Honda moped 3 days a week to reduce my 'carbon footprint' with some reliability?? Someone convince me otherwise...please!

Jason
Jason, I'd go ahead with your purchase and not worry too much.

I'm more than happy with the Bike and the issue will probably be resolved.

It's easy to get the wrong impression with notice boards sometimes as people [like me] go there to ask questions when things aren't right. Of course, I imagine that the 99.9% of the time when the bike is running well and it'll be a joy to have an electric bike I'll be out riding it instead of posting in the forums :)

I would guess that an electric bike will reduce your carbon footprint much more than a scooter: there's no such thing as 'green' petrol but you can sign up for green electricity and know that your powered cycling won't weigh on your conscience. Also, the speeds you'll get from the bike are comparable to a scooter anyway (in the city at least) and you'll be much fitter, without the hassle of tax, insurance and so on.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi Jason,

I feel confident that you would be very happy purchasing a Torq. I've had mine for 7 months or so now and have covered more than two thousand miles on it without a single problem. The battery has been fine and has never let me down or cut out on me.

I'm sure you would quickly discount the Honda moped option :D

Jason

zammo

Jan 18, 2007
update 2

A short update.

I spoke to Jim the technician at 50 Cycles. After describing the blink pattern (blink X 8, pause 5 seconds, repeat) of the red LED under the keyhole, Jim seemed to infer that is was a motor problem.

Happily 50 Cycles will be swapping the bike for another one, though unfortunately not until next week (and sadly that means taking another day off work to wait in for the delivery). Urgh.

Still. Nice of them to offer a replacement (I'd only done about 10 miles in all) and fingers crossed that the swap goes smoothly and the replacement is problem-free.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's good Zammo, I was sure 50cycles would sort this ok, that Hall sensor associated fault is likely to be from assembly, not something that normally occurs during a bikes life. You'll be able to enjoy your replacement Sprint soon.

Jason

Jan 21, 2007
Ok Ok

I get the message. I'll give you a full report on my experience with the Torq after my first ride...

Jason

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well done Jason, I'm sure you won't regret it, and I look forward to your first impressed report. :)

zammo

Jan 18, 2007
I get the message. I'll give you a full report on my experience with the Torq after my first ride...

Jason
Yes, please do. The Torq was very tempting for a lot of reasons, no least the speed, but I realised I'm more comfortable on the riding style of the sit-up-and-beg Sprint than the more 'racing' styled Torq. I'm glad I chose the Sprint in the end (as long as the next one works).

PS: as you mentioned going green, here's something (unrelated to cycling) that opened my eyes on how environmentally UNfriendly bottled water is:

Last edited:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Yes, please do. The Torq was very tempting for a lot of reasons, no least the speed, but I realised I'm more comfortable on the riding style of the sit-up-and-beg Sprint than the more 'racing' styled Torq. I'm glad I chose the Sprint in the end (as long as the next one works).

PS: as you mentioned going green, here's something (unrelated to cycling) that opened my eyes on how environmentally UNfriendly bottled water is:
Why stop at one? Buy a Torq too and have the equivalent of a Lotus in the garage for weekends ;)

zammo

Jan 18, 2007
update 3

Tim from 50 Cycles came round this evening and picked up the bike. I was sad to see it go really, even with it's motor/controller fault.

Yesterday I thought about just "living with it" the way it was; as long as I _e a s e d_ the throttle on it wouldn't cut out all the time. Then I remembered that when it *did* cut out it was always at the most dangerous bits of the journeys: traffic lights, crossings, junctions, overtaking - whenever I needed a quick speed-up really.

So it's back to 50 Cycles (who have been very good about it so far) and hopefully not too late next week I will get a replacement.

Mick.