Government subsidize

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
It is 1.8 million UK folk here actually although a percentage of those would deny being British. That is another story though.
Those of us who are proud to be British and want to be treated as such with parity with the rest of the UK are ashamed when we see and hear the childish bickering and points scoring. Those images go out across the world and I and so many others are disgusted to have a connection with their pompous behaviour.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is 1.8 million UK folk here actually although a percentage of those would deny being British. That is another story though.
That's why I tactfully typed UK citizens. The nationality situation there is certainly strange, with so many calling themselves British while Northern Ireland isn't in Britain or Great Britain,

Not that we can speak on the UK mainland, since technically there is no such nationality of British. Neither Britain nor Great Britain are nations, both being federations of nations.

In this as in so many things, we've created a complicated mess.

• Agree
Reactions: TedG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not really. It just goes to show that we don't need them.
Unfortunately in N.I. the would-be pedelecers do need them to introduce the law exempting pedelecs from motorcycle law. Without that the police say they should treat them as motorcycles in every respect.

• Agree

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
I think I attached a report from the PSNI once a while back. He said exactly as you have said that they are to be treated as at least mopeds and an officer was to "use discretion".
I have met quite a few who are blatant ignoring this threat of prosecution but I am not that confident especially in the event of a simple accident whereby someone could spot a nice little earner with me effectively riding an illegal machine.
On that very topic has anyone seen Tommi? I believe he was active and ignoring the rules but I may have missed posts from him recently.
Is he locked up?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On that very topic has anyone seen Tommi? I believe he was active and ignoring the rules but I may have missed posts from him recently.
Is he locked up?
He posted three times on Tuesday, the last at 7.14 pm. Link

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nothing at all. There's subsidies from £2500 to £4500 on the purchase of hybrid and e-cars, but no help on e-bikes.

There are some assisted purchase schemes for any sort of bicycle, buying through an employer, but nothing for the individual.
Flecc, you're normally spot on, so I'm surpised you don't know about this.

The Cycle 2 Work scheme is open in individuals and can cover eBIkes and its a very tex efficient way of getting a bike.

https://greencommuteinitiative.uk/

There are many other schemes out there like this.

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc, you're normally spot on, so I'm surpised you don't know about this.

The Cycle 2 Work scheme is open in individuals and can cover eBIkes and its a very tex efficient way of getting a bike.

https://greencommuteinitiative.uk/

There are many other schemes out there like this.
Thanks for the information. Since I've never had personal use for these schemes I don't know much about them and thought they were all via employers.

Thanks for the information. Since I've never had personal use for these schemes I don't know much about them and thought they were all via employers.
Well yes, they are all via your pay packet as far as I know, because they are supposed to be being used to cycle to work, so if you don't have a job its pretty hard to commute ;)

But the individual and the business benefit.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Did i read right that the subsidy, tho agreed, would not be available for 3yrs. (2020)? If taking an entire group of nations out of the EU was supposed to be sorted in 2yrs. Why does a bike break take 3? tickled me:D

NI, hehe, oh dear:
"An MLA is on £49,500 a year after they got a £500 pay rise in April - three months after the Stormont Executive collapsed." BelfastTelegraph :eek:

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

Unfortunately in N.I. the would-be pedelecers do need them to introduce the law exempting pedelecs from motorcycle law. Without that the police say they should treat them as motorcycles in every respect.
You need to open your eyes a bit wider: If we never had a NI parliament, they would have had the same rules as us.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
"An MLA is on £49,500 a year after they got a £500 pay rise in April - three months after the Stormont Executive collapsed." BelfastTelegraph :eek:
"You couldn't make it up" is actually a much overused phrase.
We, of sound mind here are well used to despair in many situations but this "money for nothing" beggars belief.
Now the good news, that extra £500 is to be wiped out by the removal of £13,000 from their salaries while the assembly hasn't been sitting. It's also recommended that future pay increase reviews be delayed and they may not be getting that £500 yet.

Wishing all MLA members a very Merry Christmas! :p :D

Not so sure about their New Year though!

Last edited: