Grenfell Tower

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A tenant has already said that the fire started in his flat due to a faulty
Actually, it was hearsay.
It certainly not words from the owner of the fridge.
What caused the fridge to explode? was it a home made bomb?
Was it started on the fourth floor or second floor? We still don't know.
How did the fire get from the fridge (if it is confirmed) to the cladding?

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
This is what we should be concentrating on and why the cladding is permitted when it's not in other countries.

Architects build to the regs, they do not set them.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
More to the point, what is being done right now?
A hollow drill 'core plug' design could be used to obtain samples very quickly from every suspect panel any where in the UK.
It only needs a blow lamp to determine whether the material is highly/ low/ combustible or self extinguishing.
Instead of dithering, Mrs May could use her Prime ministerial authority to order such test throughout the UK

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Architects build to the regs, they do not set them.
they have access to reynolux catalog.
It's clear they could have chosen reynolux for fire - high rise building.
Note these products have EN 13501-1

http://pdf.archiexpo.com/pdf/arconic-architectural-products-merxheim-frankreic/brcohure-our-fire-solutions-aluminium-facades-roofs-cladding/67104-294405.html

right from page one:
When conceiving a building, it is crucial to choose the adapted products in order to avoid the fi re to spread to the whole building. Especially when it comes to facades and roofs, the fi re can spread extremely rapidly.
their clear warning is: as soon as the building is higher than a fireman ladder, the material has to be incombustible.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: tillson and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
'Danidl', you continue to surprise me by some of your offerings. As an Irishman, (you), I would have thought that you would know better than to imagine that a British government might be amenable to due process in any forum.

Were the case otherwise, there would never have been any need for Irishmen and women to take up arms against the British occupiers of their land. Equally, those British settlers and their dependents in America would never have had to rise up against their former government and declare independence. We also witnessed in 1982, following the land grab of the Falklands, exactly how the British government prefers to deal with any insurrection. They dealt with the 1984-85 miners' strike and the 1919 'Black Friday' demonstration in Glasgow by the use of violence and, in the case of the Glasgow riot, by Churchill's deployment of tanks and troops on the streets of that city.

Sadly, the only thing a tory government understands is direct action - it is simply not possible for the common people to utilise the systems intended for dispute conciliation to their advantage. The reason for that quite simply is that the judiciary is a major plank of the establishment elite which also comprises the monarchy, aristocracy, the CofE, the media and the brainwashed working class who see themselves as middle class with a need to vote tory just like their bosses.

The system is bent and broken and the recent disparaging remarks directed towards the Scots with regard to having a further independence referendum illustrated once again the contempt with which the establishment and their tory political representatives hold the Scots. The same is true for NI and Gibraltar.

Having power is one thing; wielding absolute power is quite another as you well know but it is for that reason that people rise up and demonstrate against bad government. They are powerless to bring about change or improvement through any other means.

Tom
. Tom, those in power don't need the law, it is the less powerful who need the law to constrain the powerful. That is the principle that has guided law since Magna Carta. .. to put limits on arbitrary power. . Since the turn of the 20th century,, there has been a huge improvement in the rights of ordinary people . I confess I liked the Labour slogan .. for the many not the few

Unfortunately the wealthy and power elites can afford to buy access to law and often attempt to buy changes in the law. The place to resist is now via the ballot box and the law courts. The alternative is revolution and mayhem. This does mean that there needs to be constant vigilance.
Recognise that you do live in a country where there is rule of law, that there will always be groups trying to wrestle more power and privilege for themselves, and that this dynamic will continue.

Coming from what is a weak country, .. our population is no more than the greater Manchester region, we can appreciate that all the more

At the risk of getting another missive from your namesake, the respective different trajectories of the two tribes in NI . is illustrative. The republican tribe grasped the opportunities afforded by free access to higher education in the mid 1950s onwards, I don't recall the act, and opted to study law etc. The other tribe choose not to. By the late 1960s , there was a sufficient population of lawyers to question then established practices.. the civil rights marches in 1969 were the result. The official response from the local government was repression, and that left an opening for the IRA to exploit.
All the gains achieved in NI have been by negotiation, not by violence.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and Croxden

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Unfortunately the wealthy and power elites can afford to buy access to law and often attempt to buy changes in the law. The place to resist is now via the ballot box and the law courts. The alternative is revolution and mayhem. This does mean that there needs to be constant vigilance.
Recognise that you do live in a country where there is rule of law, that there will always be groups trying to wrestle more power and privilege for themselves, and that this dynamic will continue.

'Danidl', if only it were as simple as you suggest!

Firstly, I don't accept for a moment that the achievements gained in NI have been the result purely of sensible discussion and negotiation. Without the armed struggle, there would never have been any meaningful discussions.

I can think of many example, as I'm sure you can, where political change was effected only through armed struggle, often bloody civil war. Obvious examples would be France, the USA, Russia, Cuba, China but it becomes a very long list when one looks deeply enough.

It is rather fanciful to suggest that the answer to the poor and underprivileged lies in the law and/or the ballot box. Were those systems not so rigged by the wealthy elite, that might be true. Unfortunately, those remedies failed the common people in all those countries I mentioned, as they have failed us in the UK time and time again.

Negotiations have not helped the Palestinian people one bit in their struggle, nor have they helped resolve the problems elsewhere in the middle-east.

I do agree, however, with your assessment of the slogan appended to the Corbyn campaign. When sufficient numbers eventually take off their blindfolds and examine dispassionately how little, centuries of what the media refer to as monarchical democracy has given the many, then the British political system might change. It is incredibly difficult though when the very sources of remedy you suggest are all in it together and we have such a skewed constituency arrangement which is democratic in name only.

ps I had always thought that Corbyn-associated slogan sounded familiar and on reading the report of an address given yesterday in Brighton, the speaker referred to it more fully, like this:

'Rise, like lions after slumber

In unvanquishable number!

Shake your chains to earth like dew

Which in sleep had fallen on you:

Ye are many—they are few!'

It is part of the poem, 'The Masque of Anarchy' by Percy Shelley.

Tom

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Georgew

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But the effective IRA violence had to come first in order to trigger negotiations that brought results.

This is why the Palestinians have achieved nothing, deprived of the arms and access necessary to really hurt Israel, there's no need for the latter to negotiate any advantage for the Palestinians. They can just carry on taking land and property at will in a form of slow motion genocide.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and Georgew

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
Actually, it was hearsay.
It certainly not words from the owner of the fridge.
What caused the fridge to explode? was it a home made bomb?
Was it started on the fourth floor or second floor? We still don't know.
How did the fire get from the fridge (if it is confirmed) to the cladding?
Really?....................OK.
"The flat’s owner, said to be mini-cab driver Behailu Kebede, reportedly attempted to warn other residents about the blaze in his kitchen, potentially saving lives.

Neighbours told how Mr Kebede, a father of one, immediately raised the alarm after discovering the fire in his flat, which was number 16 in the 24-story block, as well as contacting the police and fire services."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/grenfell-tower-cause-fridge-faulty-fourth-floor-london-kensington-disaster-latest-a7792566.html

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The same has been happening for years with the London Ambulance Service, constant reductions and fiddling with the operational side to save money. By fiddling the figures they can still claim that 60 to 75% of calls meet the response time target of 8 minutes, but the reality is very different.

Crews are regularly despatched on genuine emergencies but then diverted half way when something considered even more urgent crops up. They can even get diverted yet again, leaving the earlier callers stuck for up to an hour or more, simply because there are not enough ambulances any more.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
Attempts to view this as a tragic event, but one limited to mistakes made in the refurbishment of the Tower Block seem unlikely to succeed. Protests that the incident should not be politicised and that this amounts to "bad taste" appear to have been ignored.

"The extent to which government ministers failed to act on expert warnings about inadequate fire safety rules before the Grenfell Tower disaster in London can be revealed by the Observer.
As public outrage mounted and political pressure grew on Theresa May over the tragedy, former chief fire officer Ronnie King – who is secretary of the all-party parliamentary group on fire safety – said urgent requests for meetings with ministers and action to tighten rules were stonewalled.

King also revealed that ministers had failed to insist that life-saving sprinkler systems were mandatory in the design of new schools in England, despite clear recommendations in reports commissioned by the government itself, which advocated their use."
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/17/tower-block-fire-warnings-grenfell-victims

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
@Georgew

Philip Hammond said this morning that flammable claddings that are banned in the USA and many EU countries are also banned in the UK.
As for Mr Kebede, he's said nothing to the press and the police also said nothing on the cause of the fire.
I try my best to stay factual.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Philip Hammond said this morning that flammable claddings that are banned in the USA and many EU countries are also banned in the UK.
I think Hammond is just trying to be smart. Yes, inflammable claddings are banned, but the supporting backing for the claddings is often flammable and widely used. Expanded polystyrene for example.

When the backing burns as in the Grenfell example, the disastrous effect is the same.

• Informative
Reactions: oldtom

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
@Georgew

As for Mr Kebede, he's said nothing to the press and the police also said nothing on the cause of the fire.
I try my best to stay factual.
Good luck with that.........this is a Tory politician saying this.....right?

Just has to be a fact then....I mean it's not as if he's involved in any way. :rolleyes:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Good luck with that.........this is a Tory politician saying this.....right?

Just has to be a fact then....I mean it's not as if he's involved in any way. :rolleyes:
may I add that the cladding may have not been the cause of deaths, the amount of PE core seems to me insufficient, and the PIR (polyisocyanurate foam) may be.

often patience is really a virtue.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
may I add that the cladding may have not been the cause of deaths, the amount of PE core seems to me insufficient, and the PIR (polyisocyanurate foam) may be.
That's like saying guns don't kill, it's the bullets.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oldtom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
croxden, it takes a lot longer to set fire to the cladding than to the foam. Even if the core of the cladding were incombustible instead of just fire retardant (their PE core is treated with FR), the foam would still burn under the circumstance.

Advertisers