Gtech Sport vs Carrera Crossfire E vs Oxigen S-Cross CB

Lux87

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 15, 2017
London
Hi all,

I'm on the search for my first e-bike and after a bit of research here on the forum I'm not sure which bike to pick:

-Gtech Sport
-Carrera Crossfire E
-Oxigen S-Cross CB

There is a bit of difference between the three models, The Gtech is the cheapest one, The Carrera is a bit more pricey but comes with disk brakes and a better battery, while the Oxigen is even better but again even more pricey. What would you pick and why??

Thanks guys!

Reactions: LeighPing

Lux87

Jun 15, 2017
London
Thanks LeighPing

Anyone knows anywhere in London to try the oxigen? On the the downputting factors on the oxigne is the fact that I could not ride it yet.

Also is there a huge difference between the Carrera and the Oxigen?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
It's more my type of bike as well. I like cross country bikes and the oxygen's styling. The Oxydrive kit bike I bought off @STEVEMANFA is spookily similar in it's setup. I'd pay for the extra battery power too.

s-cross-cb-on-black.jpg DSC00667.JPG

D

Deleted member 4366

Many people choose the Oxygen because they found out how to derestrict it for 26 mph, which is handy for commuting. The Oxygen MTB is a bit more expensive, but it's worth it for the superb handling and braking.

Lux87

Jun 15, 2017
London
Hi D8veh,

The derestrictment was one of the reason too, but on the same time would that be a double cutting edge shortening the battery life? I guess that in the end it's you who decide whether to use it or not...

is the Oxigen available only through E-bikedirect? Is the website trustworthy?

They even have an ex-display one for 150 quid less, but I wonder if it's best to go for a proper new one.

Lux87

Jun 15, 2017
London
More for an hybrid style, the stealth look nice though. Can you play with the speed limit for private land use with your bikes?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Gtech small ah battery, single gearing, hill climbing ?
Carrera Xfire a Halfords special. No one has idea about derestriction ( too scared to get the spanner out :oops:), Battery/ power loss faults as reported by owner.
Oxygen well regarded sellers of good quality bikes, good speed and powerful with bafang hubs. Better components and nice looking.

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz and LeighPing

Lux87

Jun 15, 2017
London
Looks like an easy pick then. I've tried the Carrera and it was really nice, anyone who tried both of them?

Basically I would pay the carrera 1100 compared to 1400 for the Oxigen. the Oxigen is a better model, but is it worth 300 quid more in your opinion?

Also have you ever bought anything on "e-bikesdirect"?

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi D8veh,

The derestrictment was one of the reason too, but on the same time would that be a double cutting edge shortening the battery life? I guess that in the end it's you who decide whether to use it or not...

is the Oxigen available only through E-bikedirect? Is the website trustworthy?

They even have an ex-display one for 150 quid less, but I wonder if it's best to go for a proper new one.
It will hardly affect the battery at all because the current goes down the faster you go. Maximum current comes at low speed when you're climbing. Also, the Oxygen has independent power control, so you can have the higher speed limit with reduced power. There are 18 combinations of speed and power control: 6 for speed and 3 for power.

Reactions: Lux87 and LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Looks like an easy pick then. I've tried the Carrera and it was really nice, anyone who tried both of them?

Basically I would pay the carrera 1100 compared to 1400 for the Oxigen. the Oxigen is a better model, but is it worth 300 quid more in your opinion?

My reason for choosing the Oxygen would be that it uses standard Chinese parts, so spares will never be a problem. You can mix and match motors, controllers and batteries, so you don't need to rely on expensive OEM parts. The Carrera has a locked system. You can only get spares from Halfords. You'll have to pay whatever they charge, though their prices are not that expensive at the moment.

One other point in favour of the Oxygen: It comes with a self-fit throttle. A throttle is generally not necessary, but it can be extremely useful at times. I wouldn't want an e-bike without a throttle. I've been saved at least three times by having one: One time my pedal/crank came loose so I couldn't pedal; another time I fell off and banged my knee so that I couldn't pedal; and last week I had a bad foot, which stopped me from pedalling. I couldn't use my car either and I needed to get to the doctor.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and Lux87

Lux87

Jun 15, 2017
London
That's a good info about the bike, first time I heard of it. Thanks a lot!

One last thing, I'll be doing 11miles+11miles a day, is it worth to take the 13ah instead of the 10.4ah? Does a bigger AH mean better durability as well?

D

Deleted member 4366

The bigger battery is always better. You get more power and longer life as well as longer range. The larger capacity might be useful if you want to go fast. 10.4 Ah would be OK for an average speed of about 14 mph.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and Lux87
D

Deleted member 4366

It's my favourite bike in that price range. My local ebike shop sells more of them than anything else by quite a margin. The demo bike is derestricted when the customers ask, which is nearly every time. They have a massive private car-park to test the bikes.

• Useful

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com

I have tried the Carrera and Oxygen, I bought the Oxygen.

• Useful

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
If you do go for the oxygen, it might be worth looking at the S-cross MTB purely for the better brakes. You can add mudguards and rack after

• Informative

Lux87

Jun 15, 2017
London
The bike has finally arrived, can't wait to test it tomorrow! I'll let you know my first impressions