1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halfords Carrera Crossfire e Battery cutting off...

Discussion in 'Electric Bicycles' started by MiffyWiffy, Aug 11, 2017.

MiffyWiffy

MiffyWiffy Just Joined

just went on my first ride to work, it's 20 miles there and back. My battery cut off three times during the journey... what's happening? It took about 5 mins for it to turn back on each time.

LeighPing

LeighPing Pedelecer

If you didn't know that this happens too often with the Carrera bikes, then you didn't read the reviews on their website before buying.

MiffyWiffy

MiffyWiffy Just Joined

I read some reviews and they were all great, hmmm... if it keeps cutting off I'll just have to send it back.

• Like Like x 1
    LeighPing

LeighPing Pedelecer

I'd be inclined to do the same thing. Good luck.

PS. Always read the bad reviews first. :eek:

#4 LeighPing, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Nealh

Nealh Pedelecer

Plenty of reports on the forum of the issue, so it appears they haven't rectified the issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    DrMagical

DrMagical Just Joined

Little point asking for a replacement, they all do it randomly. Mine is the newer version. Doesn't bother me. I've done 400 miles and it's happened 3 times randomly. Always carry the key with you as sometimes keep switching it on again works but sometimes removing the battery, waiting 30 secs then replacing works.

• Like Like x 1
    LeighPing

LeighPing Pedelecer

I wouldn't call that 'Fit for purpose' myself. Some folks want a reliable ebike for commuting. Cutting out on a busy highway is unacceptable. Especially when they know of the issue, and they don't disclose it to the buyer before or during the sale.

DrMagical

DrMagical Just Joined

Worth checking the cable under the velcro bit by the motor, these can be loose as they really need to be tightly together as far as the marked line. Likely to be the known cutting out issue which has no fix though and you're unlucky it happened first day!

• Informative Informative x 1
    d8veh

d8veh Pedelecer

This is turning into a scandal like the Kalkhoff Impulse bikes. I can't believe that Suntour and Halfords don't know the cause of the cut-outs after all this time. One would expect them to inform the branches about it, but everybody that takes theirs back gets treated as if they've never heard of it before.

Bastiarno

Bastiarno Just Joined

I took mine back after 3 days, 40 miles, cut out 10 times. Real shame as I loved the bike but pedalling with no motor is not feasible. Halfords said it was common!

MiffyWiffy

MiffyWiffy Just Joined

Well I've just done 40 miles more and it didn't cut out once... I don't understand it. However I'll let Halfords know and that way if it does it again I can get a refund.

• Agree Agree x 1
    philliptjohnson

philliptjohnson Finding my (electric) wheels

I've had the cutoff about 3 times in 250 miles... Would prefer it didn't but taking the battery off and putting it back on does fix it and it doesn't bother me too much. I was aware of it before I bought it having read reviews and forums but the price is good for what you get.

MiffyWiffy

MiffyWiffy Just Joined

I spoke to Halfords and the guy said his friend has one and he has never had an issue, he gets a call about this issue every once in awhile but it's always something loose or swapping out the battery fixes it.

So I'll take it down to be looked at, since my path to work is quite shaky, maybe it is something loose?

egroover

egroover Pedelecer

2 year warranty, if my year old one starts doing it more frequently next year, I'll take it back, and get a new battery or bike replacement, cheers halfords, 2 years use for free!

• Useful Useful x 1
    Nealh

Nealh Pedelecer

I wouldn't be happy with cut out issues and would tell peeps to avoid the Carrera e bikes just like the Kalkhoff inpulse's.
    The issue must surely be either a poor battery contact issue or internal like a fault with the BMS shutting down temporary.

STEVEMANFA

STEVEMANFA Pedelecer

I think this is way out of line for halfords, they have had the problem for a good time now so they need to fix it, it's a 1k bike so it's not cheap and I just don't understand why some people just live with it, I bet all of us that go out and buy a new tv and it's got a fault on it will take it back for a new one or a refund not just live with it.
    So people there are lots of other good bikes out there at this price so don't live with it just get your money back and buy from one of the good trade members on here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Artmuzz

Artmuzz Finding my (electric) wheels

I have had my Crossfire-E electric bike for over a year now and I have had quite a few times where the battery cuts off and the computer display will not switch on. I told my local Halfords about this issue and their explanation is that it does it as it goes into safe mode because there is too much power coming out of the battery so it shuts down. Hopefully I will get my battery replaced through warranty this week. I am seriously thinking if selling it and buying a better electric bike from a local bike shop.

DrMagical

DrMagical Just Joined

I don't believe the safe mode story due to power overload. The Suntour system has a flashing mode to warn of strain on the system. Each of the three times it's happened to me I've been stationery or at an easy coast.
    I'm pretty sure it's a software bug that occurs randomly.

Artmuzz

Artmuzz Finding my (electric) wheels

Yeah I thought the Halfords manager and staff were talking out their backsides about safe mode because my bike is stationary too when it happens most. In fact it usually happens when I haven't used my bike for a couple of days or even a couple of minutes so the safe mode explaination is utter BS.

#19 Artmuzz, Aug 13, 2017 at 10:08 AM
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 10:13 AM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    MiffyWiffy

MiffyWiffy Just Joined

Well I just tried to start it this morning and it wouldn't turn on.... I held the battery button for 10 seconds and suddenly it turned on :/ So odd.

• Agree Agree x 1