Halfords Carrera Crossfire e Battery cutting off...

MiffyWiffy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 6, 2017
uk
just went on my first ride to work, it's 20 miles there and back. My battery cut off three times during the journey... what's happening? It took about 5 mins for it to turn back on each time.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
just went on my first ride to work, it's 20 miles there and back. My battery cut off three times during the journey... what's happening? It took about 5 mins for it to turn back on each time.
If you didn't know that this happens too often with the Carrera bikes, then you didn't read the reviews on their website before buying.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I read some reviews and they were all great, hmmm... if it keeps cutting off I'll just have to send it back.
Plenty of reports on the forum of the issue, so it appears they haven't rectified the issue.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

DrMagical

May 25, 2017
UK
Little point asking for a replacement, they all do it randomly. Mine is the newer version. Doesn't bother me. I've done 400 miles and it's happened 3 times randomly. Always carry the key with you as sometimes keep switching it on again works but sometimes removing the battery, waiting 30 secs then replacing works.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Little point asking for a replacement, they all do it randomly. Mine is the newer version. Doesn't bother me. I've done 400 miles and it's happened 3 times randomly. Always carry the key with you as sometimes keep switching it on again works but sometimes removing the battery, waiting 30 secs then replacing works.
I wouldn't call that 'Fit for purpose' myself. Some folks want a reliable ebike for commuting. Cutting out on a busy highway is unacceptable. Especially when they know of the issue, and they don't disclose it to the buyer before or during the sale.

DrMagical

May 25, 2017
UK
Worth checking the cable under the velcro bit by the motor, these can be loose as they really need to be tightly together as far as the marked line. Likely to be the known cutting out issue which has no fix though and you're unlucky it happened first day!

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

This is turning into a scandal like the Kalkhoff Impulse bikes. I can't believe that Suntour and Halfords don't know the cause of the cut-outs after all this time. One would expect them to inform the branches about it, but everybody that takes theirs back gets treated as if they've never heard of it before.

MiffyWiffy

Aug 6, 2017
uk
Well I've just done 40 miles more and it didn't cut out once... I don't understand it. However I'll let Halfords know and that way if it does it again I can get a refund.

• Agree

philliptjohnson

Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2017
Washington
I've had the cutoff about 3 times in 250 miles... Would prefer it didn't but taking the battery off and putting it back on does fix it and it doesn't bother me too much. I was aware of it before I bought it having read reviews and forums but the price is good for what you get.

• Informative

MiffyWiffy

Aug 6, 2017
uk
I spoke to Halfords and the guy said his friend has one and he has never had an issue, he gets a call about this issue every once in awhile but it's always something loose or swapping out the battery fixes it.

So I'll take it down to be looked at, since my path to work is quite shaky, maybe it is something loose?

• Informative

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
2 year warranty, if my year old one starts doing it more frequently next year, I'll take it back, and get a new battery or bike replacement, cheers halfords, 2 years use for free!

• Useful

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I wouldn't be happy with cut out issues and would tell peeps to avoid the Carrera e bikes just like the Kalkhoff inpulse's.
The issue must surely be either a poor battery contact issue or internal like a fault with the BMS shutting down temporary.

• Informative

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
I think this is way out of line for halfords, they have had the problem for a good time now so they need to fix it, it's a 1k bike so it's not cheap and I just don't understand why some people just live with it, I bet all of us that go out and buy a new tv and it's got a fault on it will take it back for a new one or a refund not just live with it.
So people there are lots of other good bikes out there at this price so don't live with it just get your money back and buy from one of the good trade members on here.

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
I have had my Crossfire-E electric bike for over a year now and I have had quite a few times where the battery cuts off and the computer display will not switch on. I told my local Halfords about this issue and their explanation is that it does it as it goes into safe mode because there is too much power coming out of the battery so it shuts down. Hopefully I will get my battery replaced through warranty this week. I am seriously thinking if selling it and buying a better electric bike from a local bike shop.

• Informative

DrMagical

May 25, 2017
UK
I don't believe the safe mode story due to power overload. The Suntour system has a flashing mode to warn of strain on the system. Each of the three times it's happened to me I've been stationery or at an easy coast.
I'm pretty sure it's a software bug that occurs randomly.

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
Yeah I thought the Halfords manager and staff were talking out their backsides about safe mode because my bike is stationary too when it happens most. In fact it usually happens when I haven't used my bike for a couple of days or even a couple of minutes so the safe mode explaination is utter BS.

Last edited:

MiffyWiffy

Aug 6, 2017
uk
Well I just tried to start it this morning and it wouldn't turn on.... I held the battery button for 10 seconds and suddenly it turned on :/ So odd.

• Agree