Bristol
  • :D
  • Agree
Reactions: Pollmak and IR772

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Curious, I went out for a 3 mile ride in the rain just now, after setting my bike to 18. So I see 19 after the cut off kicks out. I couldn't envisage doing what this chap has in mind. It's deadly, even on the quietest of roads! :eek:

Here's a snippet. New best headlight set to high. Halo on strobe. :)

• Useful
Reactions: Pollmak and IR772

Pollmak

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 16, 2017
Caterham
Legal cut off is 15.5 mph. Any hills en route? Ups and downs? Swings and roundabouts? :)

It would be easily do-able if you had some nice downhill stretches on your way to work. You have to consider traffic lights, roundabouts too etc.
I plan to rent a pedelec and test the journey first before buying an upgrade kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pollmak

Jan 16, 2017
Caterham
a bosch or Yamaha bike will do it with a dongle but you will need to charge the batt at work if you only have one.

a bafang mid drive kit would be a bit cheaper but you would have to remove the speed limit and same for a hub motor bit cheaper again.
I hear you can get more speed/power from the Bafang, but changing the computer wheel size entry from say 26" to 18", so the motor turns a 26" wheel at the speed of a 18" wheel fooling the system giving you more power and speed.

Pollmak

Jan 16, 2017
Caterham
Curious, I went out for a 3 mile ride in the rain just now, after setting my bike to 18. So I see 19 after the cut off kicks out. I couldn't envisage doing what this chap has in mind. It's deadly, even on the quietest of roads! :eek:

Here's a snippet. New best headlight set to high. Halo on strobe. :)

Rainy days, some thing to factor in. Winter rainy days are uncomfortable.
FYI interesting rain log for London 2016:

https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Rainy-days,London,United-Kingdom

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

JimRides

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2016
Liverpool
Buy the right clothing and other gear and the wet/cold weather isn't much of an issue. I'd rather be out in the wet/cold fresh air than jammed into a sweaty train carriage (that has been delayed by something to do with the wet/cold!)

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Rainy days, some thing to factor in. Winter rainy days are uncomfortable.
Also factor in what gear you will need to carry for work. Plus bad weather gear, phone, tools for puncture repair, mini bike pump etc.

Try to keep things small and light. Maybe use slime inner tubes to minimise punctures.

Peace of mind. Clickety, click. ;)

Last edited: