Heaviest haul with the Homcom trailer so far

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My latest effort at high-visibility: I applied reflective orange tape to the sides of my Zefal Dooback II wing mirrors, which in bright light looks yellow. It's tape stuck to itself; reflective on the opposite side. Because of the mirror angle, they're also visible from behind, for passing cars to notice the width of my bike's handlebars. They'll fall off... could replace with plastic orange reflectors, if I can find a pair with the right shape to be filed to fit well on those mirror sides, to then stick on with araldite. The white front reflective tape could do with replacing - it's looking a bit tatty after two years.

The white relective rolls underneath are Dahon's excellent self-coiling £2.99 ankle reflectors - springy, long, very reflective, completely waterproof and they stay on, but I decided they'd more useful on the handlebar. They can coil around most parts of the bike, be placed on rucksack straps etc. - I'll buy a few more.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
@Nealh - This amazing looking and quite lustworthy full sized titanium framed folding bike, with it's single sided axle - reminded me of a Mike Burrows designed bike you linked some time ago.

Once I've done my next bank job, this looks like an ideal donor bike for conversion to an electrified bike trailer hauler. Aside from the absence of mudguards.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Still uses a traditional rear drop out, other wise not to different to a cannodale lefty design.
Cannondale being the only large producer employing the lefty fork, though MB used it's conception well before them on his prototype and low production run of bikes.

The 8 freight being a prime example of the front and rear single side forks.
I believe Giant ditched the concept and went back to std drop outs .

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Still no mudguards, doesn't fold, but has very interesting front suspension:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What happens to them when they get home?
They become months of "free" weird breakfast

...and months of "free" lunches and dinners, in many many different ways...

Reactions: matthewslack

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
They become months of "free" weird breakfast

View attachment 49641

...and months of "free" lunches and dinners, in many many different ways...
More of a sweet potato, butternut squash kind of guy myself, but looks tempting!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
More of a sweet potato, butternut squash kind of guy myself, but looks tempting!
Lovely with a huge knob of butter, salt and pepper, and a tiny drizzle of soya sauce on the side... Crown Prince pumpkin tastes a bit like butternut squash, only richer and a bit sweeter, with a Maris Piper-like crumbly texture. I'll be eating these till the next harvest - takes a fair amount of creativity to prevent being bored, but like last year, I won't need to buy much veg.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
For the short term at least, I'm going to switch off the bike battery, connect a waterproof extension cable and simply relocate my 1800LM red rear flashing light from my bike rack, to the trailer's passing corner - this will be easy to secure to the Homcom trailer's tubing. The same light can be easily secured to the Carry Freedom Small Y, because it's just two M5 bolts (I'll add two washers), which could be bolted up from underneath through two small holes drilled through the platform.

Reactions: jimriley

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Although my BBS01B Dahon Helios folding bike conversion vanquishes all hills, even while dragging heavy bike trailers - with the extremely steep ones I sometimes get a little miffed at the lack of speed while doing so (52T>32T, I won't fit a smaller chainwheel, as I need speed on the flats), and it's in those moments I consider increasing controller amps from 15A to 19A. The controller can be set to 20A max, and the battery BMS is limited to 22A, but I have an independent circuit for lights soldered to my battery (3 X 1800LM plus another) which use <1A in total (I think), and I'm leaving 1A out of caution = 19A. If I were to reduce the lifespan of my battery by demanding more amps, I'd increase beyond 15A in small hops. But at the moment, more speed up extremely steep hills isn't needed, and I'd prefer my battery to live long and prosper. In use, I don't actually need 9 levels, the final 3 would be Hillspeeder/Megahaul modes:

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
@Nealh - This amazing looking and quite lustworthy full sized titanium framed folding bike, with it's single sided axle - reminded me of a Mike Burrows designed bike you linked some time ago.

Once I've done my next bank job, this looks like an ideal donor bike for conversion to an electrified bike trailer hauler. Aside from the absence of mudguards.

That is a nice bike.

• Agree

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Still no mudguards, doesn't fold, but has very interesting front suspension:

Reminiscent to the early USE Sub fork
SUB stood for Stability Under Braking, as they tried to develop tech back then to counter brake dive.
345278-cc14852befdba13bc7e8644b324d6edd.jpg

My fave was the Amp F4 BLT as shown mocked up on my RSP 550 dyna-tech titanium. Great looking fork, but dived a bit on braking which took a lot of getting used to.
dyna_ti_008_large_663.jpg

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Turns out this headlight is 12V only, not 12V to 80V as claimed by the AliExpress seller. I don't want a step down converter powering headlights on my handlebar, so this will have to become a 9000LM rear red flasher to affix to the back of my bike trailer... when I get around to soldering on a step down converter, another waterproof switch, and fuse to my ebike battery. I was going to do this anyway, with a 1800LM not 9000LM. That could look even more shocking. The flash pattern of the 9000LM is three bursts, pause, three bursts etc, not continuous flashing like my twin 1800LMs on the handlebar.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers