Hello From Scotland

David Webley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 14, 2013
Hi,
As a 59 year old heavy smoker who's trying to give up as it's really affecting my legs I was wondering how I'd get more excercise. I started looking at electric bikes and they seemed to be the solution. So stage one was 'Do the Research' and this site has been very good for that.

Stage two was go and see some bikes. Not easy, in that some dealers claimed not to have heard of the bikes they were meant to have. Others had none in stock or very few in stock. Some sounded so disinterested they deserved a kick up the back side.

So well done to VOLT who put me in touch with a dealer not too far away and full marks to the dealer, Colin of Autocyclebits in Uddingston near Glasgow for the demo, and the fact he had an e bike in the window with posters. Woosh tried their best putting me in touch with a customer who was very impressed with his bike but as he lived 3 hours away it was too far away to go and see.

Electric Bicycles - Home in Lochgelly were really helpful and friendly and I had a shot of a couple of their bikes round the warehouse. The problem with a couple of their bikes was the one that old men have all over the country i.e. difficulty in getting their leg over! (I do not like the look of step throughs).

Having thought things through I realised that whilst a full sized bike might be better for long trips it would be too big to keep in the house. So I'd need to buy a shed at another £200 to £300 on top of the bike cost. That left me looking at folders.

There are some great looking folders about and some that look good on paper BUT. Why are there so many with absolutely no provision for a pannier rack or even a decent saddle bag?

After weighing everything up and e mailing and speaking to some very nice people Dave Elderfield of Kudos has convinced me to go for the Kudos Secret Folding Bike. Hopefully it will arrive this coming Thursday and I'll try to put in regular reports on how I get on with it.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Well done David, now you have sorted the e bike, next step is the e cigarette :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
Hi David and welcome to the forum . Your opening line of 59 yo. heavy smoker ....... ah sorry I thought you were talking about me , but then you missed off the overweight bit. Good luck with your new bike and happy cycling

I won't plug the anti- smoking brigade on the forum who exist in the "Charging Post" - seriously if you have a few minutes have a read of the thread initiated by Neptune (vaping guru)

Alan

Old-Dave beat me to-it

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Croeso! Fàilte! :)

Look forward to seeing photos, reviews and your news on the new acquisition. Are you in a hilly area at all?

Still learning myself about all the various ebikes / pedelecs out there and their differences... 'Tis a minefield...

Is uaisle am breid na toll

Aka 'Gwell llain na thwll' which kind of appropriate for punctures I guess :)

C

Cyclezee

Hi David,

A warm welcome to the world of electric bikes and I wish you many happy miles on your new aquisition.

tet another David on the forum, we can't have too many Davids;)

C

Cyclezee

Hi David,

A warm welcome to the world of electric bikes and I wish you many happy miles on your new aquisition.

Another David on the forum, we can't have too many Davids;)

David Webley

Feb 14, 2013
Thank you for the welcome. I had spotted the forum on E Cigs. Hopefully I can avoid that route but it's handy to have a source of information should I need it. Knowing my luck the weather will turn for the worse when the bike arrives. Hopefully not and I learn to use it, if not daily, at least 3 or 4 times a week.

C

Cyclezee

Croeso! Fàilte! :)

Look forward to seeing photos, reviews and your news on the new acquisition. Are you in a hilly area at all?

Still learning myself about all the various ebikes / pedelecs out there and their differences... 'Tis a minefield...

Is uaisle am breid na toll

Aka 'Gwell llain na thwll' which kind of appropriate for punctures I guess :)
Kedves Wissy,

Nagyon halasak lennenk ha leforditanad anglolra, hogy mindannyian ertekelni tudjuk bolcs szavaidat.

Tisztelettel,

Janos

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Kedves Wissy,

Nagyon halasak lennenk ha leforditanad anglolra, hogy mindannyian ertekelni tudjuk bolcs szavaidat.

Tisztelettel,

Janos
LOL......very impressive , but I think you and Orsi should concentrate more on your work ;)

Lynda :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
....yes, I DO have a web cam in there ........:eek:

C

Cyclezee

Lynda,

I think you should get round to Ikea and buy a decent lampshade instead of wasting time here:p

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I LOVE my moroccan lampshade......you just have no taste :p

Get back to your patients........Im not working today :) but then, nor will you be soon.......:cool:

David Webley

Feb 14, 2013
Bike arrived at 12 noon. Was out for a test ride round the block and back by 1pm. Too cold to stay out longer! Battery now on charge. Bike is larger than I thought even when folded so I will have to rethink where I'm going to keep it. Instuctions were adequate but I had to phone Kudos to ask what a wire cable hanging down the centre of the handlebars was. Not screamingly impressed with the clamp for the handlebars. Take your time to work out the best setting and do not force the lever. The instuction book is not great at this part and in places the diagrams are too small for my old eyes. Some of the English is good for a laugh but it's better than my Chinese. Will have another run either later today or tomorrow to check gears lights etc. then I'd better buy a helmet.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Thats great David, I was just about to post asking if your bike had arrived.

I quite like those adjustable handlebars, maybe its just stiff ?

Be good to hear how you get on after a longer ride as I think that folder sounds interesting.....is it very heavy ?

BTW.......be careful mentioning helmets or we will start another helmet wearing saga LOL :rolleyes:

Anyway, pleased the bike has arrived safely....have fun !

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
Hi David have fun on your new bike. Like yourself i have a folder for the last 5 months (which seems to be holding together O.K.). Have clocked up over 600miles, and enjoying every minute. Being 60 years old, 18.5 stone and ex heavy smoker. Now down to 17 stone and breathing much better. Plan to get down to 16stone and buy a nice non-folding Kalkhoff as reward.
Heres a wee taster of me on Tuesday on my favourite island - Islay.

[video=youtube_share;5JCeDUzSd6M]http://youtu.be/5JCeDUzSd6M[/video]

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Looks very scenic and Flat not sure about the bagpipes thou