Hello From Scotland

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
Looks very scenic and Flat not sure about the bagpipes thou
Its very beautiful, with the friendlest people on the planet.
Road is ten miles long and completely straight. Very flat apart from a little steep bit out of Bowmore.
Must have bagpipes - its Scotland :cool:

C

Cyclezee

Hi Cabo,

I think Islay might get a wee bit busier after people have seen your video.

Tis a braw place, nae doubt;)

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
Hi Cabo,

I think Islay might get a wee bit busier after people have seen your video.

Tis a braw place, nae doubt;)
After seeing that video they might just revoke my visa.
Had a bit of a problem with the plastic Drift HD mount on handlebar - it got broken in the carry bag. So had to balance it with one hand on the handlebar. Hence i had to chop out a fair bit of footage. Will have to get something a good bit more robust.

David Webley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 14, 2013
Found my gloves and went back out. Very pleased with the performance up a long and quite steep hill to the station and canal. Resisted the temptation to pass a guy in all the gear on what looked like a racing bike. The gears are taking a little getting used to as it's years since I've been on a bike. Had to do a fair bit of pedalling on one short hill section but coped OK. Very conscious of traffic and felt quite vulnerable. Some of the roads I was using are quite narrow and I kept pulling over to let heavies past. One great thing is that although I've lived here for 5 years there are parts I've never explored because I do not walk as well as I did then. Have now been round two housing estates, one park and found a new route home from the library! Back home before dark which was good as I cannot get the lights to work. E mail sent will see if it's a fault or me not doing something right. If it's dry tomorrow I'll try for Linlithgow which should be an 8 to 10 mile round trip. Have found that if I fold the bike I can stash it in the hallway without it be too inconvenient.

Any recommendations on an EASY to FIT Trip computer as I'd like to know how far I've been.

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
And no one mentions the whisky, the worlds best distilleries are on Islay, worth a ride for a dram.

David Webley

Feb 14, 2013
Day 2. About 4 miles down to Linlithgow on a road that seemed a lot hillier than when done by bus or car! Came across a new piece of cycle track. Very impressive. About 400 yards long then nothing! Avoided a very busy roundabout at the junction with the motorway by crossing road and using footpaths. Dropped kerbs would be useful. Headed down country road using the footpath that I've never seen a pedestrian on. Am always careful with riding on footpaths as I've been really ****ed off with cyclists riding on busy pavements in Edinburgh in the past. Was mainly using Medium Assist with High on some of the hillier bits.

The gears are taking a little bit of getting used to and I need to find the right combinations of 'Assist' and gears for various slopes. Did some shopping and realised just how difficult it can be to find somewhere to secure a bike and that included the local bike shop. After that it was up some steep hills and onto the canal towpath. I had made sure I had warm trousers, windproof jacket and had found my gloves. What I had forgotten were my feet it was not long before they were VERY cold. Temp about 0, the canal was frozen in places, and 10 to 15 mph = cold feet. Again used Med assist and in places just used the throttle for fun. By now I had 3 lights out of 5 and it would go down to 1 if using the throttle.

Nice run downhill to home with a total trip of 8 to 9 miles. Plus previous night 3 to 4 with a lot of uphill gave 11 to 13 miles on Med and High with hills. The battery required 3 hours charge.

Hopefully the weather will stay dry and I can get back out on Sunday.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I'll more than likely be riding my Kudos to Linlithgow tomorrow, weather permitting. There's plenty of quiet roads in the area to 'play' on your bike. It's good to hear of another Kudos in the area. Actually it is good to hear of another E-bike in the area.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Cold extremities - particularly feet - are a problem for most cyclists at this time of year.

A cheap answer I've seen recommended a few times - but not tried - is to put a carrier or plastic bag over your socks and then put your shoes on.

One might think your feet would end up a sweaty mess, but apparently not.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Cold extremities - particularly feet - are a problem for most cyclists at this time of year.

A cheap answer I've seen recommended a few times - but not tried - is to put a carrier or plastic bag over your socks and then put your shoes on.

One might think your feet would end up a sweaty mess, but apparently not.
Yep old trick I have used motorcycling for many years (And trust me feet get far colder on one of those than a bicycle). Basically helps with the wind chill which is the main problem. Feet dont get sweaty as its far to cold and if they do that is because its not that cold and you dont need the bags :). Rubber surgical gloves also help do the same for hands

David Webley

Feb 14, 2013
Hi Jim,
I'm off to Manchester (by car) tomorrow otherwise I'd suggest a meet. Can recommend the Four Marys for food and good beer. Also Platform 3 (no food) but excellent beer.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi Jim,
I'm off to Manchester (by car) tomorrow otherwise I'd suggest a meet. Can recommend the Four Marys for food and good beer. Also Platform 3 (no food) but excellent beer.
Hi Jim and David....its so nice to hear from Kudos riders enjoying their bikes,makes all the efforts worthwhile,sounds like you have a nice part of the world for bike riding.
KudosDave

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Hi Jim and David....its so nice to hear from Kudos riders enjoying their bikes,makes all the efforts worthwhile,sounds like you have a nice part of the world for bike riding.
KudosDave
Aye, it is a nice area for cycling, we just need some nice weather and we'd have it all. :) We have everything an e-biker needs, quiet roads and hills, lots of hills, no I mean LOTS of hills. So much so the area I live in is called the 'braes' the school which is about a mile down from me is actually called "braes high school" and I live higher up than it. God bless electric bikes.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
The highest village in the highlands of Scotland is lower than the highest village in the lowlands ;)

Its on the B797 which used to be on my preferred route to Glasgow (not on the bike I hasten to add, just a long cut to the motorway)..

few piccys of the route that don't do it justice

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Gallery:B797

The travel and leisure peeps say..

Roads into Leadhills are winding and undulating and surrounded by imposing hills. They are also inclined to get exciting after dark as there is no street lighting between villages. Winter conditions can be challenging with some sections becoming impassable as a result of heavy snow; especially to the south of Leadhills, over the Dumfries and Galloway border; where gritting is rather inconsistent.
Sheep are a constant challenge to the road user as they can rarely be hurried and are inclined to make unexpected changes of direction. The lambing season is particularly difficult in this regard as lambs are harder to see and are far less predictable than their parents; it’s very much a case of slow down or “mow down”.
Despite the actual trials and potential pitfalls of roads in the Lowther hills, driving to Leadhills is a delight whether in the bleakest depths of winter or the hight of summer. Taking time allows a full appreciation of the scenery and assures constant contact with the road; and arrival in one piece and in good spirits

Last edited:

David Webley

Feb 14, 2013
Got out on Sunday to Falkirk for some shopping. I must admit I'd not noticed how poor the facilities were for securing bikes in our so called 'Retail Parks'. Got a helmet and trip computer which looks horribly complicated to fit. OK ride both there and back equals about 8 miles. Monday I had another go at parts of the towpath but it's still pretty cold. I'm geting better at judging what gear to use with the various levels of 'Assist' on the level the bike is OK to pedal with NO assist.
I may try taking it out in the car to do some rides near where I used to live in Colinton but that will depend on the weather.