Hello, just joined pedelecs, which i found on the net. scor24

scor24

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 20, 2016
hello,
Has anyone used an EBC front wheel conversion kit, & how was it to install 7 perform
scor24

D

Deleted member 4366

They're just standard DIY Chinese kits. They're all more or less the same to install.

The things you have to do that take some DIY skills and engineering nouse:

The axle is bigger than most bicycle ones so you have to file your drop-outs a bit to make them fit. Because of the size and shape of the axle, the centre becomes off-set, so I always file the drop-outs deeper to re-centre it.

Depending what drop-outs you have, there can be complications with getting a correct fit. we'd need to see a photo of yours to judge.

The bottle batteries sometimes catch on your chainwheel, so they have to be shifted up a bit, then the fixing positions don't line up with the slots. Sometimes you can file the slots a bit longer, or you can add one or two more fixings. Two 5mm fixings are not really strong enough to hold the battery. I've seen several ripped out in a simple fall. I always add a third one for extra strength. You can get them from Ebay. You have to drill a hole in your frame to fit them:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STEEL-RIBBED-RIVNUTS-LARGE-HEAD-RIVNUT-NUTSERT-PLATED-RIVET-NUTS-METRIC-SIZES-/271732504227?var=&hash=item3f4484f6a3:m:mMFvSLvnUltZ6_DFB_4L7DQ

The brake levers are only suitable if you have individual cable brakes. They can't easily be used if you have integrated changers.

It's always a problem to find a place for the throttle depending on what brakes and changer you have.

There's often not enough room for the pedal sensor, which can sometimes be solved by fitting it on the left side or getting a longer bottom bracket. If you have a splined or hollowtech BB, you have to do some modifications to the sensor to fit it. In all cases, you need the special tools to get your cranks and BB off.

Every different bike has different problems, some are fairly straight forward. Others are more complicated. You need to tell us exactly which bike you have if you need more specific advice.

scor24

Apr 20, 2016
They're just standard DIY Chinese kits. They're all more or less the same to install.

The things you have to do that take some DIY skills and engineering nouse:

The axle is bigger than most bicycle ones so you have to file your drop-outs a bit to make them fit. Because of the size and shape of the axle, the centre becomes off-set, so I always file the drop-outs deeper to re-centre it.

Depending what drop-outs you have, there can be complications with getting a correct fit. we'd need to see a photo of yours to judge.

The bottle batteries sometimes catch on your chainwheel, so they have to be shifted up a bit, then the fixing positions don't line up with the slots. Sometimes you can file the slots a bit longer, or you can add one or two more fixings. Two 5mm fixings are not really strong enough to hold the battery. I've seen several ripped out in a simple fall. I always add a third one for extra strength. You can get them from Ebay. You have to drill a hole in your frame to fit them:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STEEL-RIBBED-RIVNUTS-LARGE-HEAD-RIVNUT-NUTSERT-PLATED-RIVET-NUTS-METRIC-SIZES-/271732504227?var=&hash=item3f4484f6a3:m:mMFvSLvnUltZ6_DFB_4L7DQ

The brake levers are only suitable if you have individual cable brakes. They can't easily be used if you have integrated changers.

It's always a problem to find a place for the throttle depending on what brakes and changer you have.

There's often not enough room for the pedal sensor, which can sometimes be solved by fitting it on the left side or getting a longer bottom bracket. If you have a splined or hollowtech BB, you have to do some modifications to the sensor to fit it. In all cases, you need the special tools to get your cranks and BB off.

Every different bike has different problems, some are fairly straight forward. Others are more complicated. You need to tell us exactly which bike you have if you need more specific advice.

scor24

Apr 20, 2016
I have a Dawes hybrid bike ally frame 700cc wheels,28", & 21 gears. Perhaps the Oxydrive kit you mentioned previously might be the one to go for.I have been looking through various kits & I rather liked the Australian arc kit through Dillinger, they look well engineered but quite expensive.I'm fairly useful engineering wise as I've been a fabricator welder, & have built GP midget racing cars, racing on the stock car tracks. So I'm sure I could tackle the mods you suggest for this kit, but not too sure about them now.Hi, scor24 here. Just saw your reply on the EBC kits, thanks very much.