Helmet camera recommendations please

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Thanks nashdm2 my Brother mentioned he bought a battery pack for his Daughter`s `phone . I will look up the Nyon and of course the slots in the alternative back supplied with these Cameras could be modified to accept a lead , but not under water ! If the supplied case cannot be used for this they supply a small frame with a clip . In any event the waterproof cases are so cheap , a spare to be` butchered`would be easy to do for longer trips . The 32Gb micro card has two or three times the running time of the standard battery .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The M500 tubular mini cam has a record time of 1hr 50mins from full charge which takes 2 hours, also the usb lead that comes with it is nearly a meter long so may even be able to reach a battery with usb port to recharge whilst out and about otherwise a short M/F usb extension.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
The M500 tubular mini cam has a record time of 1hr 50mins from full charge which takes 2 hours, also the usb lead that comes with it is nearly a meter long so may even be able to reach a battery with usb port to recharge whilst out and about otherwise a short M/F usb extension.
is there any way to waterproof it and are you happy with it? it seems much lower profile than the sj4000

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
I have a GoPro hero2 and an sj4000 but have just ordered an F9/m500 mini cam because my existing action cams are too bulky and awkward when mounted to a helmet. The F9/m500 is (supposedly) waterproof so I hope it will survive as my other cameras have, although my GoPro is on its last legs due to serious abuse!

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
I have a GoPro hero2 and an sj4000 but have just ordered an F9/m500 mini cam because my existing action cams are too bulky and awkward when mounted to a helmet. The F9/m500 is (supposedly) waterproof so I hope it will survive as my other cameras have, although my GoPro is on its last legs due to serious abuse!
thanks for that, somehow it doesn't look as waterproof as a gopro/sj4000, but certainly cheap and cheerful, I found this clone which gets very good reviews http://www.amazon.co.uk/eSynic®-Camera-Waterproof-Camcorder-Climbing/dp/B00GLPW3U8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top and I'm on the verge of buying, will be good to hear how it compares to your gopro and sj4000

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
How did teh SJCAM SJ4000 work out? i am very tempted by it for around£60 on banggood, but am absoutterlylootely flat broke. Does anyone know of an even cheaper wifi equiped gopro clone that would be just about good enough?
It's finally arrived. :)

First impressions taking it out of the box are very positive.

It's currently charging up, before I have a play with it.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Eddie you will soon be ordering more accessories for it . Today I ordered some for my SJCAM M10 . A chest harness and the headband comes free , 5600 mA battery pack and another San Disk 32Gb Class 10 Ultra micro card . Previously I have taken delivery of another original battery and await a `fake` battery c/w charging case . The latter is yet to arrive and must be on a slow boat from China !

Reactions: EddiePJ

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
I have just found a snag in using the M10 Camera inside it`s waterproof case, on a Motorcycle or Ebike . If you want to use an external battery and feed the supply through the plastic case into the micro USB , you cannot , as the clamp which secures the back sits right over the camera`s USB and HDMI Sockets . On the SJ4000 the clamp is on the top and it is possible to drill through the plastic case to get the supply through to the micro USB socket . The supplied battery only lasts an hour , so you need to carry a supply of these on a longer trip and charge these up from a portable battery pack . The alternative could be to dispense with the case altogether and hope the lense doesn`t get damaged .
Something to bear in mind if you cannot choose between the SJ4000 or the M10 .
As a matter of interest I have just received the battery charger c/w battery that I ordered from Amazon for £6.25 which I thought was `fake`because it cost less than the `Official`battery , it is exactly the same and also came with a postmark Greenford .You will remember that my `Official ` Camera from Banggood came with that postmark . Bit of a mystery , perhaps they all come from one place in the UK ?

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Be careful when ordering batteries for your SJCameras whether M10 or 4000 . The `fake` battery that came with my charger won`t fit , the charger is fine though . The thickness of the original battery is 11.40 mm and the `fake` is 11.94 mm. it might be possible to remove the black covering of paper to get down to the correct thickness to fit . I used the chest harness for the first time on the Ebike today and it is more `action` as you see the handlebars and know you are on a bike , when compared to the handlebar position .

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Looks like I am going to need some more practice with the camera.

Not going to bore you with massive long clips, but this was my first attempt at using it. Things can only improve!

I was also using a chest mount, and this is the start of one of my regular night time ride routes.

Last edited:

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Looks alright to me Eddie , those speeds are something I can only dream of on my Batribike Folder . To achieve 15 + mph my legs would be going around so fast it would hurt . I only ride on tarmac not scrambling routes .

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The chest mount has made things pretty 'bouncy' and I guess that I need to play with settings to get things sharper. It'll be fun trying though. :)

My biggest issue, was the uploading to YouTube. it took an hour just upload that short clip. It kept mentioning encoding the clip to make things faster, so I might have to get an 8yr old kid to come round and show me how to do it. I'm not good with technology!

Reactions: Kinninvie

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
V pleasant to look at, but doesn't get the licence plate of the car passing. That is one nice screen btw, makes the ordinary b&w LCDs others are using (including mine) look like something from the late 1980s!

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Personally, I have a Polaroid xs100 which i've had for a few years now. It's waterproof down to 10m or so and requires no external housing to make it so.

The quality at either 1080/30fps or 720/60fps (my personal choice) is excellent. Most reviews at the time said the image quality was most comparable to the GoPro Hero 2. It's super wide and captures everything very clearly. You can't change the battery but it records for well over two hours on a charge.

It also comes with a host of connection options including strapping for the helmet and a handlebar mount. Many of the other companies don't offer you these extras so check out of the price of the whole package (including waterproofing for some) for whatever you choose before you decide how much this is going to cost you. I know you said £50 and the Polaroid is £99 or thereabouts but I thought I should throw it in to the pot anyways..

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
if you all willing to wait and put some money up front in November the cycliq fly 12 will be out. 10 hours of filming,reduced if you use the light function but looks good

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Just bought a Garmin Virb Elite for £119 off Amazon yesterday.. To add to the sjcams I have. Now I need to educate myself of their features other than on / off and record.