Helmet camera recommendations please

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Just to update on that..
I use windows Movie Maker.
Import the file(s) In the edit menu one can trim the video, then save as for high definition video or save as a project if you want to add more later. I suffer a lot of incidents on a short stretch of road and have put all the bits together..
Wow! Just wow! I moved to an area which has direct access to a cycle route that avoids roads. I do not miss what you still put up with.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Wow! Just wow! I moved to an area which has direct access to a cycle route that avoids roads. I do not miss what you still put up with.
I use this track most days and that is 2 weeks worth with some really near misses not on cam. This track was made to miss out a terible traffic light controlled r-bout where everyone seems to jump the lights and squeeze in from the wrong lane and generally drive like they are going to get the kids from school, so is not cycle friendly. But being through an industrial estate the nearside edge is pockmarked with holes left by dumped trailers and missing tarmac so without suspension it's nearly as bad as the roundabout, but not quite! I am thinking of adding a few more to my video and the sending it to the council.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I finally got round to trying my new camera mentioned above:

http://www.myactioncamera.co.uk/shop/cameras/ac32-sport-plus/

It cost £80 at the Cycle show. It's a bit more than a camera because it has a GPS too and records the GPS data with the film, so it can do some interesting things. The manual is too complicated for me. It shows how to do work-outs and calories and stuff like that. I got this far, which is probably enough for most people: The blue line is elevation and the yellow is speed. The others are X, Y and Z acceleration, which might be useful to find out how much 20g hurts when you crash or what the terminal velocity of your bike is when you ride off a cliff.

The quality seems pretty good right across the frame. I stopped the playback and took this screenshot:

[

It's waterprrof to 3 meters and has a 3 hour battery recording time. It comes with a handlebar mount , USB lead, 8gb memory card and USB card adapter. Not bad for £80. Now £160 on their website. Maybe you can haggle.
Looks good to me. My gopro gives good video but no speed or map info. does yours do an auto overwrite and can you power it from the bike whilst recording? I can power my gopro whilst recording but it doesn't do an auto loop/overwrite which I find mildly annoying.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
On a slightly different note.. I have just picked up our daughter's first car and it came fitted with one of these. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Veba-AVPEDVR-Accident-Witness-Camera/dp/B00XY8ZXDY
I have to say that I'm very impressed with the image quality, even in low light conditions such as this.

One of the things i've learnt about using my Polaroid xs100 both in my car (occasionally) and and on my bike is that pointing it so that the sky is 'at most' a third of the image, helps the exposure decision that the camera makes. The footage looks good but has fallen foul of not observing this loose rule so the main footage you're wishing to capture is blacked out.

Last edited:
Reactions: EddiePJ

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
I have just got my sj 4000 got it set up and recording. I have attempted to edit the footage but a few editing programs and apps don't recognise the mov. files any hints and tips gratefully accepted.
I now use a free bit of software called VideoPad video editor.
Here's a sample of what you can do with it which I put together from my ride last weekend when I broke my chain!
You can merge all the 5 minute clips from your SJ4000 and speed it up, add music and lots of other stuff... [emoji6]

Last edited:
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
what would be a good helmet cam which has built in battery and charges via micro usb? cheap as possible while retaining half decent picture quality in daytime

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
looks very good but would prefer a tube style one as mounts better on a helmet than the square ones

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The generic M500 cam on Fleabay didn't last long with me, the plastic clips and attachments all broke and then the cam wouldn't down load and a operating error occured and W10 wasn't able to resolve it, I tried formatting and a different class 10 msd but nothing so now searching for another. In the new year I might treat myself to FLY12 as the 6 has been great or will have a look at the one D8veh mentioned earlier in the thread.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Whatever your price point, find new on amazon and scroll through the customer reviews.
I spotted one earlier innovv c3 but the customer reviews are poor.
For a helmet cam it needs to be small with good battery life.. I too am thinking of the fly 6 snd 12 but they are not cheap.
Amazon is good to buy from because they don't quibble over returns, unlike ebay where someone has bought a job lot from China and is selling them on at a mark up

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The generic M500 cam on Fleabay didn't last long with me, the plastic clips and attachments all broke and then the cam wouldn't down load and a operating error occured and W10 wasn't able to resolve it, I tried formatting and a different class 10 msd but nothing so now searching for another. In the new year I might treat myself to FLY12 as the 6 has been great or will have a look at the one D8veh mentioned earlier in the thread.
The fly12 sounds nice but 400 lumens doesnt seem a great deal when comparing to the cree 1800 lumens..
But these lumens seem a bit.. variable depending on who is selling them so I am not exactly sure what "lumens" really means.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Fly12 is on the back burner for now as have ordered Action Cams AC22 +.

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
None really...straight from the cam into the computer, through dropbox onto youtube...I did choose the stabilising option for shakes, but I don't think it actually converted it as it was taking so long.
The cam gives a wi-fi option of straight to you tube without plugging in, but not tried it yet.
OK, thanks. It looked like stabilised video but as you state this was performed on YouTube.