Help planning my first conversion using Tongsheng TSDZ2

cjdell

Just Joined
Apr 17, 2022
Hello. I'm planning my first e-bike conversion. The bike I am converting is a Cannondale Quick CX 3 2019.

After a lot of research I think I've settled on the Tongsheng TSDZ2. These are the reasons:

- Torque sensor. I know Bafang are more popular but I really don't want a drive that just pushes me along and instead want something that amplifies my own torque.

- Relatively cheap. Budget about £500-ish.

- Hackable. I'm a nerd so open source controller firmware really appeals to me.

I have a few questions though. First, where can I find a reputable dealer in UK? I can find a lot of dealers with poor English descriptions and there's eBay / AliExpress but I worry I'd have zero support from these dealers if I have a problem.

Which battery? I'm thinking of going for a 48V model. There is never any mention of the battery connector. Are they all the same? I heard that 52V doesn't work with the TSDZ2 but will if you change the firmware? What batteries are people running with their TSDZ2's? Is it worth paying more for the "Tesla" 21700 cells for example?

Which power to go for? I was thinking 500W but apparently it's entirely in software and can be changed by a firmware update?

Which display? I hear the 850C/860C displays are best for the open source version. Though I'm tempted to just go with the cheaper "VLCD" to begin with and leave everything stock before I start modding stuff.

Cables? Sensors? I read about different options i.e. 8pin/6pin, controllable lights, brakes, throttle etc. If someone can clear this up I'd be grateful. Ideally whatever gives me the most flexibility for future upgrades.

Temperature sensor. Apparently these are recommended to stop the unit from overheating?

I also read somewhere that there is a new revision of the TSDZ2 which is resistant to firmware updates? Is that true? How can I be sure I'm getting a model that I can update myself?

This is the cheapest source I've found but I worry about warranty / after sales support:

I'm willing to buy from UK dealer at a higher price if people recommend that.

I know that's a lot of questions so appreciate any advice people have. Thanks!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Which display? ..........
......... different options i.e. 8pin/6pin, controllable lights, brakes, throttle etc. If someone can clear this up I'd be grateful. .....
8pin has 2 extra wires for throttle . Also throttle will work with only certain displays e.g. vlcd, and brake cutoffs usually provided in this case. Personally, I'm glad I selected the throttle option as my legs get tired with torque sensor.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That looks like a very useful site, bookmarked for later: I like their 36v large capacity Samsung cell shark battery prices, especially if they turn up at my house duty-free.
All sales are duty free as it is a UK warehouse/address.

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
CJ if OSFing or modifying the drive then any relevant warranty is out of the window so in this case no need to worry about warranty. The tsdz is a bit sloppy on build quality so pot luck if you get a reasonably good one or just a shoddy one.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
CJ if OSFing or modifying the drive then any relevant warranty is out of the window so in this case no need to worry about warranty. The tsdz is a bit sloppy on build quality so pot luck if you get a reasonably good one or just a shoddy one.
How far along are you with the electrification of your Kona Ute?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
All sales are duty free as it is a UK warehouse/address.
Great! :) This is a good price, I think:

...but I'll have to check base plate measurements and compatibility with them - mine is a different colour but has the same number of pins, might have different pin polarity, and the photos show different base plates for the same product.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How far along are you with the electrification of your Kona Ute?
Awaiting items from China /AliExp, I have the ST programmer stick and spare motor spd cable so will make this up next week and get on with downloading the various programmes needed to the laptop to enable OSF of the motor and std vlcd 5.

skaterstan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 20, 2022
Glad to see this post, I am too embarking on an electrification using this system and have a similar question regarding the 6 pin/8 pin VLCD5.

The bike I am working on has hydraulic rim brakes and I will be keeping these. I am aware that with the torque sensing of the tongsheng, a brake cutoff is not usually required, especially if not using a throttle.

However, I may want to add brake sensors in the future and my understanding is that this is not possible with the 6 pin version. There seems to be little cost increase for the 8 pin one, so my question, which is possibly the same as yours, is:

If I purchase the 8 pin version, can I use it without installing the throttle and brake sensors? or are there some undesirable effects to doing this?

Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes, if not fitting the throttle then there is should be no need to fit the brake options.
The brake option is mainly as a motor shut off to prevent controller damage should a throttle malfunction.

skaterstan

Apr 20, 2022
Yes, if not fitting the throttle then there is should be no need to fit the brake options.
The brake option is mainly as a motor shut off to prevent controller damage should a throttle malfunction.
Is it possible to run the 8pin without the throttle and brake sensors. i.e. will it run the same as the 6 pin?

This way I could add the throttle (and brake sensors) in the future if I change my mind.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
When fitting the TSDZ2 cranks, the recommended torque is higher than you'd find on other bikes - the receommendation is 40nm and ideally this is achieved with a torque wrench.

In the absence of a torque wrench a lot of people guess the tightness - that's fine, but the cranks might well come a bit loose after riding a few miles as the right tightness was not achieved.

Reactions: skaterstan

skaterstan

Apr 20, 2022
When fitting the TSDZ2 cranks, the recommended torque is higher than you'd find on other bikes - the receommendation is 40nm and ideally this is achieved with a torque wrench.

In the absence of a torque wrench a lot of people guess the tightness - that's fine, but the cranks might well come a bit loose after riding a few miles as the right tightness was not achieved.
Thanks for the info. Luckily I am festidious and swap my car wheels over in winter so am well equipped with torque wrenches!

Reactions: Bikes4two

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Apologies for the late reply- I fitted one of these a couple of years ago from Whoosh. I have been very satisfied and impressed with their after sales service. They are in Southend-on-Sea so uk based and help is readily available on the 'phone and via email.
I did a write up here of my installation, there are others as well.
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/whoosh-crank-drive-tongsheng-kit-review.34071/post-489738

EDIT: It sounds as though you are a similar sort of rider to me, I like to get a bit of excercise and pedal, but sweating up hills and against a headwind-no thank you very much. This kit is ideal for me. I heartily recommend a throttle. Great for starting off especially inclines and for safety when at a set of lights with cars all around, saves that embarrassing (and dangerous) wobble!

Last edited:

Andrewlee1

Nov 13, 2019
I have recently bought and fitted two of these to a pair of Genesis Longitude bikes. I sourced the motors from PSW Power who were:
  • The best price.
  • Very fast delivery.
  • Sourced in the UK (But they say they will send from Germany import duty free)
  • They seem to have a good reputation in this community.
I went for 750W 48V VLCD5 with brake sensors. I think I paid £210 each - they have gone up since March 2020.

I ordered two 48v 13ah batteries from ebay which came in at £160 each - the seller isn't on ebay now but their site is green lance.co.uk and they were very helpful. The batteries they sent turned out to be 15ah.

I'd recommend both sellers.

I've just moved to OSF on one kit and am still learning how to operate it but it was very straightforward to implement. Much harder to configure as there are so many options.
I had to order the extension cable and disk brake sensors separately - ebay for both came very quickly. I'm not sure as to the benefits of OSF yet - it does feel a lot smoother as others have reported but it only went on yesterday. I live in a very hilly area so ideally id like to tailor it for the local terrain.

The batteries are giving between 40 and 80 mile range in full time turbo assist on sock firmware - depending on rider weight 60 vs 90 kg.

Good luck with your conversion ours have exceeded our expectations in every respect.