Help?

Karen HB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 26, 2016
Suffolk
OK, I've been doing lots of research and I've basically confused myself.
I used to do a lot of cycling but for the past 10 years I've had chronic fatigue syndrome which means I can still get out on my bike but I can't get far and then I have no energy for ages afterwards (sometimes days). I want to get out still so started looking at e-bikes. I'm only really interested in a mountain bike as I would like to get back into off-road riding.
My budget is up to £1500 and I've been looking at the Volt Alpine. The problem is there is nowhere near me that has anything like this to try.
My requirements are:
The bike isn't too big for me - I'm only 5 ft 3 inches tall.
The battery gives me enough distance as I can't afford to run out of power and have to pedal the thing back any distance under my own steam. That's why the volt was appealing as even the standard battery does up to 55 miles if I can believe the blurb.
There are tons of bikes out there but many are very expensive and others just don't seem to have the battery life I would feel comfortable with.
Anyone able to advise?

Thanks

Karen

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Have you tried any ebikes?

Very few will drag you along a trail without some effort, although on high assist level that effort won't be great.

Probably better to manage your routes carefully so you know you will be able to keep pedalling all the way.

Mountain bikers don't usually measure routes in distance, but roughly how far do you want to go?

Range is hard to advise on because there are so may variables, but in general all legal ebikes use about the same amount of power.

If there's lots of climbing and you want to use high assist level, a typical size battery might do around 20 or 25 miles.

You could double that on a flattish, hard surface route on low assist level.

Karen HB

Nov 26, 2016
Suffolk
Thanks for the reply Rob. I'm aware I have to put effort in. That's not a problem. I just need something that assists me so I can do the things I used to do without getting too exhausted too quickly.
The reason I'm wary about a lower range battery is that I realise that on climbs the battery isn't going to last as long as the listed range which tend to be measured on a tarmac, flat surface in summer.
My main worry is that most mountain e-bikes are built for blokes and that they'll be too big for me as I'm only short.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I don't think much to that Volt I couldn't see the capacity of the battery, and note it is Lithium Polymer, is that better than Lithium Ion anyone?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
One of the often forgotten benefits of more expensive ebikes is they usually come in a range of sizes.

Cube offer frames as small as 14" in their WLS series, which has geometry aimed at women.

Your budget should just about get the job done, although you may have to stretch it a bit for a 2017 model or one with the bigger 500wh battery.

A Cube/Bosch is a much nicer ebike than the Volt.

https://www.cube.eu/uk/2017/e-bike-hardtail/access-wls-hybrid/cube-access-wls-hybrid-one-400-blacknblue-2017/

https://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/m12b0s147p13734/CUBE-ACCESS-WLS-HYBRID-PRO-400-2016

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't think much to that Volt I couldn't see the capacity of the battery, and note it is Lithium Polymer, is that better than Lithium Ion anyone?

The battery has Lipo (Lithium Polymer) pouch cells and will have a bms wired for protection and management. HobbyKing etc sell lipo's in packs with out bms protection though you could if you wish wire them up to a bms to get the same advantage.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
The battery has Lipo (Lithium Polymer) pouch cells and will have a bms wired for protection and management. HobbyKing etc sell lipo's in packs with out bms protection though you could if you wish wire them up to a bms to get the same advantage.
Are they the ones that set on fire?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Lipo's have been known to catch fire if mismanaged, like wise Lion's also look at the Boeing 787 and recent Samsung smart phone fires.

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
I am waiting to see more bikes comming through with the Bafang Max Drive, and I see the system as being the Skoda of Ebikes, and will definatley give the Bosch and Yamaha CD bikes a run for there money.

It's early days yet for the Bafang Max Drive, but if we start to see bikes like the Volton in the U.S. that uses the system, comming to the UK, it will be no bad thing.

Reactions: Andy88

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I am waiting to see more bikes comming through with the Bafang Max Drive, and I see the system as being the Skoda of Ebikes, and will definatley give the Bosch and Yamaha CD bikes a run for there money.
Perhaps.

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't take any notice of that Volt advert. They haven't a clue what they're talking about. It's a normal lithium-ion ebike battery with Panasonic cells. At 5' 3", it'll probably be too big for you anyway.

Have a look at the Wisper Torque 705. It's quiet, powerful, has a big battery and, if you ask them nicely, it can have a throttle fitted, which will be useful if you run out of energy.

I wouldn't recommend a bike with the Bosch motor system or any other one that uses a pedal effort multiplier system because if you run out of energy four times your zero pedal -power is zero power from the motor.

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Im not an expert but started out with the same budget £1500 now after three weeks of intensive research and a lot of help from the kind members of this forum here are my thoughts.

There is a lot of smoke and mirrors in the market place, like everything there are good manufacturers and dealers and rogue ones. You probably know that anyway.

At the £1500 price point, I have come to the conclusion for that money you can buy an established branded bike with high quality components and fit a crank drive and get change.

A crank drive will be better equipped for any off road and you can also get the best configuration to suit your needs in terms of mileage performance.

As Roholoffboy said the Volt albeit well respected is a direct sell company with freelance dealers some of which have no association with bikes let alone ebikes.

I believe more and more quality bike shops will be offering conversions this way you can select a bike that suits your needs and match the appropriate motor with it. If spending £1500 would want to buy a bike from a company that is passionate about cycling and can provide an element of support and service.

At the lower budget it gets tougher, a good second hand branded bike can be found for £250 a decent hub kit and conversion £600ish total £850 vs a reasonable brand like woosh costs about the same. A BBS01 kit installed £750 total 1k. Hard to find that off the shelf.

The above are only my thoughts and not set in stone.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I wouldn't recommend a bike with the Bosch motor system or any other one that uses a pedal effort multiplier system because if you run out of energy four times your zero pedal -power is zero power from the motor.
I wouldn't dismiss one quite so quickly, Karen sounds like She is in a similar position to me illness and cycling history wise, even down to the time we've been ill. So She could be just fine on a Bosch bike.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and RobF

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
If I was staking 1500 budget I would take the wisper every time over the Volt.

David Miall of Wisper in my opinion is a very good dealer and backs up with service.

Karen HB

Nov 26, 2016
Suffolk
Thank you all for your replies. These have been quite helpful and I've had a look at some of the suggestions. I don't think the Wisper Torque is for me. It isn't a mountain bike and looks like something you would go around town on although the specs seem very good for the price.
I like the look of the Cube Pro and it comes in a 16" frame size which is the same as my current Liv Giant bike.
I'm not too worried about having a throttle. I want something that assist me when I'm doing steeper climbs or going into a strong head wind. I'm still reasonably fit but the problem with Chronic Fatigue (unlike normal fatigue) is once MY battery runs out (so to speak) a rest of an hour or so doesn't recharge it, I need a few days!
I'd thought about fitting a crank drive to my existing bike or another mountain bike, but I'm just not confident at doing this, I wouldn't have a clue and I don't know where to start.
Thank you to the gent who said the Volt would be too high for me. I thought it might be but it's nice to get some agreement. Sadly there is nowhere in my part of the country that seems to stock mountain bikes which are also e-bikes, only the round town varieties which doesn't help me too much other than let me get an idea how an e-bike feels.
I do most of my riding on rough country lanes and tracks, some forest paths. I want to get back to managing hill paths as well so something like the cube looks about right?

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Thank you all for your replies. These have been quite helpful and I've had a look at some of the suggestions. I don't think the Wisper Torque is for me. It isn't a mountain bike and looks like something you would go around town on although the specs seem very good for the price.
I like the look of the Cube Pro and it comes in a 16" frame size which is the same as my current Liv Giant bike.
I'm not too worried about having a throttle. I want something that assist me when I'm doing steeper climbs or going into a strong head wind. I'm still reasonably fit but the problem with Chronic Fatigue (unlike normal fatigue) is once MY battery runs out (so to speak) a rest of an hour or so doesn't recharge it, I need a few days!
I'd thought about fitting a crank drive to my existing bike or another mountain bike, but I'm just not confident at doing this, I wouldn't have a clue and I don't know where to start.
Thank you to the gent who said the Volt would be too high for me. I thought it might be but it's nice to get some agreement. Sadly there is nowhere in my part of the country that seems to stock mountain bikes which are also e-bikes, only the round town varieties which doesn't help me too much other than let me get an idea how an e-bike feels.
I do most of my riding on rough country lanes and tracks, some forest paths. I want to get back to managing hill paths as well so something like the cube looks about right?
Cube look solid and good brand recognition.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

bosch motor ;)

• Dislike
Reactions: EddiePJ and Andy88

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have never ridden any of the others tbh but bosch does cost a bit more than say the Yamaha motor bikes.