Help?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thank you all for your replies. These have been quite helpful and I've had a look at some of the suggestions. I don't think the Wisper Torque is for me. It isn't a mountain bike and looks like something you would go around town on although the specs seem very good for the price.
I like the look of the Cube Pro and it comes in a 16" frame size which is the same as my current Liv Giant bike.
I'm not too worried about having a throttle. I want something that assist me when I'm doing steeper climbs or going into a strong head wind. I'm still reasonably fit but the problem with Chronic Fatigue (unlike normal fatigue) is once MY battery runs out (so to speak) a rest of an hour or so doesn't recharge it, I need a few days!
I'd thought about fitting a crank drive to my existing bike or another mountain bike, but I'm just not confident at doing this, I wouldn't have a clue and I don't know where to start.
Thank you to the gent who said the Volt would be too high for me. I thought it might be but it's nice to get some agreement. Sadly there is nowhere in my part of the country that seems to stock mountain bikes which are also e-bikes, only the round town varieties which doesn't help me too much other than let me get an idea how an e-bike feels.
I do most of my riding on rough country lanes and tracks, some forest paths. I want to get back to managing hill paths as well so something like the cube looks about right?
I'm not aware of another decent quality eMTB available in a !6" frame for about £1,500.

I expect the likes of Haibike and KTM may offer such a bike, but it will be more money.

Converting your Giant would be a cheaper option - you could probably find someone to do it.

But the kits lack the refinement of the Bosch's power delivery, and many conversions seem to suffer from electrical niggles.

Another consideration is the conversion job can never be as neat as a factory ebike.

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you can get either one for that price its a good deal ;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Karen being in Suffolk are you able to get to Southend, if so give Woosh a ring and they may be able to do a BBS conversion to one of your bikes.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Thank you all for your replies. These have been quite helpful and I've had a look at some of the suggestions. I don't think the Wisper Torque is for me. It isn't a mountain bike and looks like something you would go around town on although the specs seem very good for the price.
I like the look of the Cube Pro and it comes in a 16" frame size which is the same as my current Liv Giant bike.
I'm not too worried about having a throttle. I want something that assist me when I'm doing steeper climbs or going into a strong head wind. I'm still reasonably fit but the problem with Chronic Fatigue (unlike normal fatigue) is once MY battery runs out (so to speak) a rest of an hour or so doesn't recharge it, I need a few days!
I'd thought about fitting a crank drive to my existing bike or another mountain bike, but I'm just not confident at doing this, I wouldn't have a clue and I don't know where to start.
Thank you to the gent who said the Volt would be too high for me. I thought it might be but it's nice to get some agreement. Sadly there is nowhere in my part of the country that seems to stock mountain bikes which are also e-bikes, only the round town varieties which doesn't help me too much other than let me get an idea how an e-bike feels.
I do most of my riding on rough country lanes and tracks, some forest paths. I want to get back to managing hill paths as well so something like the cube looks about right?
Given MTB is your thing, a factory mid drive eg Bosch Yamaha are way to go. The most important item on any MTB is suspension, do your home work on shocks. My midrange MTB has lower end air shocks and are far superior to cheap hydraulic ones on my sons entry level MTB. Spend extra and get better suspension as bonus all the other components go up a notch in spec.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Dr Mike

Just Joined
Nov 30, 2016
Manchester
If you are small ;
1: find a bike the right size
2: find a good local "proper" bike shop
3: get a 250w front wheel conversion kit (assuming you will be riding trails rather than mountains). Which will make the bike and the battery demands lighter.
4: get the good local bike shop to fit it!

500w motors and batteries are bloody heavy!

Reactions: Andy88

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you are small ;

500w motors and batteries are bloody heavy!
Not in all cases. Q128c 3kg lighter then a bafang bpm or cst and half the weight of D/D hub.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
You confused me whether you like the idea of a MTB bike or a roady bike....You may wish to look at our new Kudos Sprint,the semi integral battery installation is very neat,the 24" wheels and long seat post allows this bike to be ridden by someone less than 5ft,it has good hill climbing power,price £895.00
If you want a more conventional step thru the Kudos Verona and Milano are good value at £795.00,your height is ok.
I would avoid any crank drive which has torque sensor and any torque sensor e-bike,you need to put power in to get power out,your health may not allow you to do that.
It is not necessary to spend your budget of £1500.00
Good luck with your search.
KudosDave

Last edited:

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
The issue I would have is the sheer number of models you maintain how to keep top of things like spares and service?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The issue I would have is the sheer number of models you maintain how to keep top of things like spares and service?
Andy,I assume this question is directed towards Kudos. You are correct that maintaining spares for all the models is difficult.
I have been selling e-bikes for long enough to know what parts are likely to fail and walk round any new bike with a clipboard to order spares.
I am sure that other pedelec members will say that we are quite good at this,ideally we have a spares stock that is unused and covered in dust!!!
We are trying to harmonise the parts used but manufacturers don't always assist,especially when changing battery suppliers.....most of our MTB bikes use the very popular water bottle style battery,many of our new models use the latest Samsung semi-concealed battery (I really like this battery and its installation) and step thrus use a common rack mount battery.
But we also stock mudguards,pedal sensors,wheels with motor,controllers,special hardware etc etc....£30,000 average spares stock.
Trust that answers your question.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
KD, things have moved on. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/gearing-and-motor.26271/

Andy, I don't seem recall having ever read anything negative about service etc in respect of Kudos bikes, so Dave must be doing something right and have things covered.
Eddie,thanks,hadn't realised that. But it did raise the question of spares which is a worry to some. I know that you were a customer of Tom at LEBC,be assured we will look after you now that business has ceased.
We still own the premises,you may be amused to know that shop 1 will be a Vape shop and shop 2 will be a Vietnamese sandwich bar....different!!!
KudosDave

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Andy,I assume this question is directed towards Kudos. You are correct that maintaining spares for all the models is difficult.
I have been selling e-bikes for long enough to know what parts are likely to fail and walk round any new bike with a clipboard to order spares.
I am sure that other pedelec members will say that we are quite good at this,ideally we have a spares stock that is unused and covered in dust!!!
We are trying to harmonise the parts used but manufacturers don't always assist,especially when changing battery suppliers.....most of our MTB bikes use the very popular water bottle style battery,many of our new models use the latest Samsung semi-concealed battery (I really like this battery and its installation) and step thrus use a common rack mount battery.
But we also stock mudguards,pedal sensors,wheels with motor,controllers,special hardware etc etc....£30,000 average spares stock.
Trust that answers your question.
KudosDave
Thank you for the input and clarification. Each company has their own business model but from a consumer perspective such as myself the single most important factor in making a purchasing decision between off the shelf vs conversion is after sales service.

Ive read mixed reports without mentioning any brands that use proprietary parts leaving the buyer held to ransom.

Ive read nothing significantly negative about Kudos on the internet and am satisfied with your response.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
KD, things have moved on. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/gearing-and-motor.26271/

Andy, I don't seem recall having ever read anything negative about service etc in respect of Kudoscycles, so Dave must be doing something right and have things covered.
Yes Eddie, have since replied to Dave, and like you have heard very little negative remarks. Was interested to hear how he maintains such a large stock in terms of spares however if a lot of the parts are interchangeable then that makes sense and if I was running a similar business that is what I would do if holding a large variety of models.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I've read nothing significantly negative about Kudos on the internet and am satisfied with your response.
I've had 1 Kudos bike for nearly 6 years and 1 Kudos bike for almost 3 years. I've not had any reason to complain.

Reactions: Andy88