Hi - I have a few questions about what to choose?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
750W or 1000W?
Buying 750W or 1000W motor for a road bike is like shooting your own foot. There are no benefits and all what you will get is pain. Buy 250W rated motor and set controller for 500W or 750W if you must. You will have a legal bike and more power than you really need.

• Agree
Reactions: Benjahmin and Woosh

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Here's a thing. A proffesional cyclist doing a mountain climb on the tour de france can produce around 650w - but not for long. They can sustain 200-250w for long periods.
Just sayin'.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Here's a thing. A proffesional cyclist doing a mountain climb on the tour de france can produce around 650w - but not for long. They can sustain 200-250w for long periods.
Just sayin'.
And about 1400w output on the final sprint to the line.
The peleton speeds are quite impressive often tootling along at 50kmh for 10's of km's.

goral

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2024
Is £709 a good price for this kit?
Bafang 1000W BBSHD, Battery 52V29Ah plus display 850C and other.
Thanks.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Thanks.
Too good to be true imho, considering what you would expect to spend on a quality battery that size and how much that leaves remaining for the whole kit???

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks.
It's probably a scam. I've never seen a 52v 29Ah battery. It would be possible to make or sell one, but it would need 140 18650 cells or equivalent amount of 21700s. Even if it's genuine, it would weigh over 7 kg, which is too heavy for a normal bicycle.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
To anyone who knows, I ask whether such a kit in relation to the price is OK?
Much, much too cheap. That's a scam.

From what I've read, you can set the power and max speed, via the programmer, by driving on a public road and then take the restriction off on a non-public road.
You've been given good advice here about the law and electric bikes in the UK. If you want to buy an offroad kit and use it with your town bike do so by all means, but expect it to be impounded if the police catch you using it. They will be cracking down on this issue, I suspect - it's in the public eye now.

goral

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2024
You've been given good advice here about the law and electric bikes in the UK. If you want to buy an offroad kit and use it with your town bike do so by all means, but expect it to be impounded if the police catch you using it. They will be cracking down on this issue, I suspect - it's in the public eye now.
Police stop every bike converted to electric?

Also, for town riding, I can (from what I read) reprogram the controller to 250W and the speed on the regular display.
Anyway, I have no intention of going over 20mph on my bike! Especially in the town where pothole upon pothole.
This is supposed to be for off-road.

It's also meant to be for later, to change bikes, maybe to fat tyres.
I don't want to buy a set again for another £500 or £800.
I want to buy once to last 'forever'. Especially as it's a very simple fitting, not interfering with the structure (no drilling holes).

goral

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2024
Reprogramming controller to 250W won't make BBSHD legal.
Electric bike regulation form:

"
Its electric motor:
  • must have a maximum power output of 250 watts
  • should not be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15.5mph
"

If you reprograming controller for 250W - that means is max 250W!
There is nothing here about potential power or specific models but only about maximum engine power, on the road.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nealh

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
  • must have a maximum power output of 250 watts
  • should not be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15.5mph
Oh yeah... that... I am sorry to say, but it is a disinformation. Quite embarrassing.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How are you going to prove that your bbshd is programmed for 250w? There is nothing in the manual how to do that

goral

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2024
How are you going to prove that your bbshd is programmed for 250w? There is nothing in the manual how to do that
It seems to me (I am not a lawyer) that the burden of proof of engine power, is on the one who suspects/defames you.
That is, the police authority/court in question has to take the expert's opinion.
This is how it works in other cases.

Oh yeah... that... I am sorry to say, but it is a disinformation. Quite embarrassing.
At what point, I don't quite understand?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Is there any way to check the orginality of the motor?
I don't think it is a scam. Price is about right for this motor and this battery. You can have it from PSW Power for more or less the same money, but they don't have this motor in UK at this moment.

Reactions: goral