Hope Valves again sorry

Andy Grayland

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2008
I have a new Kalkhoff Agattu. What a great bike it is to. However I am suffering from the Hope valve problem. I bought an adapter from halfords so I can use my normal Schrader foot pump. This works but how do you measure your tyre pressure with a Hope or a Pesta valve? Any ideas?
Thanks
Andy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Many gauges can show the pressure with Presta valves, but it can be fiddly if the top nut isn't screwed out the right amount.

It isn't possible to do a static measure with the Woods/Dunlop/Hope valves, since there's no way to release the air against a gauge.

However a dynamic reading is possible on the types of pump that have a gauge incorporated, since as the valve opens to allow air in, the internal and external pressure balance at low pump force and the gauge can be read at that point.

In this respect I prefer a stirrup pump with gauge which makes precise reading much easier than when stomping about on a foot pump.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Your lucky day! (or is it?)

I have a new Kalkhoff Agattu. What a great bike it is to. However I am suffering from the Hope valve problem. I bought an adapter from halfords so I can use my normal Schrader foot pump. This works but how do you measure your tyre pressure with a Hope or a Pesta valve? Any ideas?
Thanks
Andy
You measure the pressure inside a tube that has a Presta Valve with a Presta Valve Pressure Guage.
You have to take the Pump off the valve to do it - but at least one can take the pressure guage for a ride: that's more difficult and much less convenient with a Track (Garage) pump.
I have one and it measures lbs/psi (10 - 105) & and atmospheric 1 - 7.66 BAR.
It's yours for free (I no longer have Presta Valved Bike tyres).
Just let me know your address (PM me if you want to keep it from general publication). It will come to you "Post Free".
Regards
Peter

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Your lucky day

You measure the pressure inside a tube that has a Presta Valve with a Presta Valve Pressure Guage.
You have to take the Pump off the valve to do it - but at least one can take the pressure guage for a ride: that's more difficult and much less convenient with a Track (Garage) pump.
I have one and it measures lbs/psi (10 - 105) & and atmospheric 1 - 7.66 BAR.
It's yours for free (I no longer have Presta Valved Bike tyres).
Just let me know your address (PM me if you want to keep it from general publication). It will come to you "Post Free".
Regards
Peter
Sorry Andy, the bases of measurement are:

lbs/square inch (psi) 10 - 105

Kg/cm2 1 - 7.66 (This is not quite atmospheric bar)

The conversion tables are on the internet at:
Pressure Conversion Table - Transwiki

Regards
Peter

Andy Grayland

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2008
Thank you so much for your kind offer Peter. Unfortunately I have fonud that my Agattu has Woods valves not Presta type so It will be no good to me. I think from reading other threads that I should change my tubes for Schrader types. So does anyone know of a pump that fits in the Agattu spacing that will fit Schrader valves?
Thanks again Peter.

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
small joke here they are not woods but Veillheim(c) Post passem))
One way to save a bit of money..dont change untill puncture..buy the adaptor (posts passem) go to garage with free air, use schrader /Veillheim adaptor to check pressure..about £1.5 no sweat (literally